Osteoarthritis from heavy bag training?

Tranimal

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting osteoarthritis @ the hands and knees?

I'll be wearing 16oz hayabusa tokushu gloves with 180 stretchy hand wraps but I won't be wearing anything for my shins.

Is my risk of developing osteoarthritis high? I'm just punching and doing round house kicks on a 100lb heavybag nothing fancy.

I'm 21 years old and I have someone telling me that I may get osteoarthritis because of the continual stress on my joints from doing boxing.

Are they correct? Is there any way I can prevent/slowdown the deterioration of joint erosion or what not (like conditioning or excercises)?

Thanks for reading.

Very very high. If you don't get it from wear down you'll inevitably fracture your hand and get it eventually. It's quote easy for your fist to just slip inward and bend your wrist in the wrong way. For me it's more likely to happen to my left hand than my right, especially with lead hooks. I guess that's just because my left hand is weaker than my right. Maybe southpaws have an easier time.

What are the chances of getting osteoarthritis @ the hands and knees?

I'll be wearing 16oz hayabusa tokushu gloves with 180 stretchy hand wraps but I won't be wearing anything for my shins.

Is my risk of developing osteoarthritis high? I'm just punching and doing round house kicks on a 100lb heavybag nothing fancy.

I'm 21 years old and I have someone telling me that I may get osteoarthritis because of the continual stress on my joints from doing boxing.

Are they correct? Is there any way I can prevent/slowdown the deterioration of joint erosion or what not (like conditioning or excercises)?

Thanks for reading.

As a sufferer of osteoarthritis, I can honestly say it's 3/4 genetic and 1/4 wear and tear. I lost the cartilage in my right knee by playing high level football from the age of 8 till I was 16. I don't solely believe that it was the cause, but I believe it helped speed it up. If there isn't any history of it in your family, don't overly worry.

Osteoarthritis and general hand pain are 2 completely different things, which should be kept in mind. I've been boxing for 4 years now (22 years old) and by no means have osteoarthritis, but have near constant hand problems when I train hard enough (specifically the right hand, 5th metacarpophalangeal joint). I put most of the blame at a fracture that never healed correctly after a drunken incident.

Learn to wrap your hands correctly, use appropriate gloves and you'll be good as gold. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition that coincides with old age, and is something you shouldn't worry about unless you continually fracture your hands.

you have a higher chance of screwing up your hands from sitting at a computer all day typing away.

wrap up when you beat the bag and replace the gloves when the padding is non exist.

youll be fine, stop worrying about.

hands/knees bother you after training ice/iburpofen.

I'm 23 and have been boxing for 3 years with no issues.

I suggest looking into something a bit more your speed. Perhaps checkers.

I suggest looking into something a bit more your speed. Perhaps checkers.
A bit cruel to someone who is starting off at boxing & is trying to prevent physical injuries no? Everybody starts at the bottom when they try something new so please ease up.

--

Anyways,

Is this a proper method to wrapping your hands? I've been doing it the same as this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

"There are two types of osteoarthritis:

Primary Osteoarthritis*- Primary Osteoarthritis*occurs when there is no obvious reason for the arthritis, although you may have some of the risk factors. Generally, primary osteoarthritis occurs in many joints, such as the fingers, base of the thumbs, spine and big toes.Secondary Osteoarthritis*- Secondary osteoarthritis*occurs when there is a likely cause for OA. The most common cause of secondary OA is prior injury to the joint, although there still may be other risk factors. Secondary OA is very common in professional athletes (football and hockey players), but can occur in anyone.Risk Factors For Developing OA

Age -*As we get older, so do our chances of developing osteoarthritis. If we live long enough, many of us will experience OA. Age alone, however, doesn't mean the disease is inevitable.

Family History -*It is becoming clear that genetics plays a role in the development of osteoarthritis. This seems to be more of a factor with arthritis affecting the small joints in the hands (nodal OA). Researchers are not sure how genetics plays a role, but it may be due to the shape of your bones and the way they fit together or your ability to make and repair cartilage.

Excess Weight -*If you weigh too much, your feet, knees and hips have to carry more weight than they should. The good news is that losing weight, even just 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms), can help reduce strain on your knees. Even if you have OA in your knees, losing weight can make you feel better and delay or may be even prevent the need for surgery in the future. Less body weight means less stress on your joints and often less pain.

Joint Injury -*Osteoarthritis can occur in joints that have been "damaged" by a previous injury. The initial injury may have damaged the cartilage or affected the way the joint moves, resulting in secondary OA.

Complications of Other Types of Arthritis -*Osteoarthritis can occur in joints that have been "damaged" by other types of arthritis. For example, people with rheumatoid arthritis or gout can develop secondary osteoarthritis in those joints in which the inflammation has caused damage.

Wear and Tear -*Wear and tear on the joints alone does not lead to OA. For example, some people with similar jobs and lifestyles develop OA in the small joints of the hands and others do not. Research now shows that normal wear does not actually cause the joints to degenerate. Normal activity and exercise is good rather than bad for joints and does not cause osteoarthritis."

http://www.arthritis.ca/page.aspx?pid=941

My point was if you're worried about injuries, combat sports are likely not for you.

Back