Oscar tells ESPN that he has begun negotiations for Canelo/Jacobs after GGG 50/50 split.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
BREAKING: Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN on Tuesday night that “the Canelo train has left the station” and that he is now negotiating with promoter Eddie Hearn for a Sept. 15 fight between Canelo Alvarez and Daniel Jacobs. De La Hoya said he has moved on from trying to finalize the rematch between Gennady Golovkin and Alvarez because GGG won’t come off his demand for a 50-50 revenue split and “it’s not going to happen.”

Probably just trying to call GGG’s bluff but still wouldn’t mind seeing Jacobs/Canelo.

If this fight happens, it'd be great (though GGG vs Canelo II and Jacobs vs Charlo I'd like to see first). If the Jacobs that showed up to fight GGG shows up to fight Canelo, then Canelo has his hands full. I'd almost be tempted to bet on Jacobs, but Canelo gets every swing round so it'd be tough to bet against that.

Lots of good fights right now. Lots of "ifs," I guess, too.

In b4 "Golovkin is ducking a guy he already clearly beat".

In b4 "Golovkin is ducking a guy he already clearly beat".

Well it wasn’t clear, so I don’t know what kind of person would say that sentence.

Golovkin isn’t ducking though. Just like Canelo, he doesn’t appear willing to budge in negotiations. Neither guy is eager for the rematch it looks like.

I dont mind seeing Canelo vs Jacobs, what I do mind is Canelo vs GGG when GGG is 37 yrs old

Jacobs is very capble of beating Canelo so it wouldnt matter anyway

Every bit as interesting as Canelo/Golovkin 2. Assuming Oscar isn't bullshitting (which is never safe to assume), Golovkin's team standing strong on 50/50 is bizarre, but as long as we get a quality fight one way or another I can't complain.

Well it wasn’t clear, so I don’t know what kind of person would say that sentence.

Golovkin isn’t ducking though. Just like Canelo, he doesn’t appear willing to budge in negotiations. Neither guy is eager for the rematch it looks like.

Calling it ducking might be a bit much, but it would appear that his team isn't crazy about a rematch in September if they were standing pat on 50/50 (tough to know if that's the case). That's not a reasonable split.

I dont mind seeing Canelo vs Jacobs, what I do mind is Canelo vs GGG when GGG is 37 yrs old

Jacobs is very capble of beating Canelo so it wouldnt matter anyway

Any combination of those 3 is a really hard fight for any of them. If Canelo/Jacobs gets made, Golovkin might want to take a look at who’s negotiating on his behalf. For all the shit Oscar talks, it looks like Canelo is going to come out of this with a big fight. And Golovkin might actually end up fighting O’Sullivan.

Calling it ducking might be a bit much, but it would appear that his team isn't crazy about a rematch in September if they were standing pat on 50/50 (tough to know if that's the case). That's not a reasonable split.

I agree with that. I don’t think it’s a duck but they’re obviously not going out of their way to make it happen. Fans seem to be the only ones concerned with Golovkins age.

That said, the rematch was already set and postponed because of Canelo. So some “fuck you” is expected from GGGs team.

Much like the GGG I told you I would make this happen. Conference call at 9 am tomorrow. Buy the fight

I've said this for a couple of years. Canelo isn't tough us. You will see the best version of Danny

Much like the GGG I told you I would make this happen. Conference call at 9 am tomorrow. Buy the fight

I've said this for a couple of years. Canelo isn't tough us. You will see the best version of Danny

Isn't tough to negotiate for a fight or as an opponent?

Congrats, that’ll be a big night for Danny imo.

Thanks brother.

Really big night. Beers on me if you come out and support. I will get any regular here an autograph or pic

I agree with that. I don’t think it’s a duck but they’re obviously not going out of their way to make it happen. Fans seem to be the only ones concerned with Golovkins age.

That said, the rematch was already set and postponed because of Canelo. So some “fuck you” is expected from GGGs team.

Yeah, the rematch falling through was on Canelo and maybe Golovkin's team thought that they deserved too much as a result of that (and perhaps underestimated Canelo's options and overestimated his own). Or maybe Oscar and GBP aren't giving us the whole story (which would shock no one). Either way, it looks like we're getting a damn good fight. I guess ideally we'd see Saunders and Golovkin fight now, but I don't have much faith in Saunders fighting anyone genuinely good.

Isn't tough to negotiate for a fight or as an opponent?

Always difficult. Key things is to always keep viable options. That's how we are doing this

Any combination of those 3 is a really hard fight for any of them. If Canelo/Jacobs gets made, Golovkin might want to take a look at who’s negotiating on his behalf. For all the shit Oscar talks, it looks like Canelo is going to come out of this with a big fight. And Golovkin might actually end up fighting O’Sullivan.
Why do you think he'd fight Spike? Seems one of his mandatories or BJS will be next. If it's Spike next he may as well hang up his nutsack and retire.

Back