Ortiz/Chuck 3 tix (arena top tier closed)

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
vTbn44L.png

Tickets | Golden Boy Presents: Liddell v. Ortiz 3 - Inglewood, CA at Ticketmaster

After listening to Filthy Tom Lawlor (co-main) talking about how Golden Boy is basically ignoring him (even though he is co-main), I realized the fight is almost here & checked tickets & it seems like the top tier is closed off.

I can't see this doing well on PPV
Under 100k for sure & maybe 1/2 that

And you're still going to watch it.

Not looking too good for Oscar's foray into mma.

He doesn't seem to realize that you need to build towards making money in MMA
Bellator/ONE are not making money yet

He thinks a one-off with past-prime fighters & Tom Lawlor as a co-main will bring profit?

I like tom & happy for him, but this card has disaster all over it

I presume that this time he didn't have anyone in the MMA world to partner with, a la Affliction. I'm not certain whether or not that he has no one in the MMA world helping out with this, but just by the looks of the card itself I'd tend to believe he's doing this on his own. Affliction/Golden Boy were able to make insanely stacked cards that were spectacle as much as serious sport. This card looks like an old man fight with a bunch of amateurs on the undercard.

I made an absurd prediction about this card months and months ago, and it was mainly based on the main event fighters being who they are, but a lot of it had to do with Golden Boy actually having had promoted MMA cards in the past. I guess I assumed that Oscar would be dealing with some of his Affliction buddies and they'd put together a nice card, but no one wants to see the card they're actually selling. That roster is pretty bad. I love Tom Lawlor, but when he is the third biggest name on the card and is in the co-main, you're fucked.

My new prediction is that this will be a one and done for Golden Boy, although I did read in the last few days that he's talking to DAZN about streaming future MMA cards. I'm guessing that Golden Boy thinks that they have unknown talent with some serious skills, and they're hoping that they put on some awesome fights, bc if that isn't the case, idk what they're trying to do here. Seems like they're just trying to waste some money, at this point.

^^^ I'm also smelling a one and done here.

It seems like Oscar didn't really plan this too well, he doesn't know what demographics to aim towards, casuals or hardcore. The main event are two throwback names from an earlier Era, hardcore veteran fans will tune in, which is more reason enough to have included a strong main card with other names from that same era. Imagine they would have signed Baroni Leben and Hendricks instead of bare knuckle boxing, keep Tom Lawlor on it and add some more recognizable names from the tuf 1 era and all of a sudden you just added a couple tens of thousand ppv buys and views in general. More gate attendance probably too. Oscar must a have blown his wad and over spent on the main event.

Oscar isn't making smart moves, truly amateurish imo and I'll be shocked to see this event do more than 70k ppvs.

Actually, When this fight/endeavor was announced, I'll admit I was kinda bothered by it because Oscar is scatterring the talent away from the real place this fight (chuck vs tito 3) should be taking place at: Bellator
I think Chuck must've overpriced himself out of the conversation when negotiating with Bellator and as a result, went with Oscar who offered more money

Last edited:
^^^ I'm also smelling a one and done here.

It seems like Oscar didn't really plan this too well, he doesn't know what demographics to aim towards, casuals or hardcore. The main event are two throwback names from an earlier Era, hardcore veteran fans will tune in, which is more reason enough to have included a strong main card with other names from that same era. Imagine they would have signed Baroni Leben and Hendricks instead of bare knuckle boxing, keep Tom Lawlor on it and add some more recognizable names from the tuf 1 era and all of a sudden you just added a couple tens of thousand ppv buys and views in general. More gate attendance probably too. Oscar must a have blown his wad and over spent on the main event.

Oscar isn't making smart moves, truly amateurish imo and I'll be shocked to see this event do more than 70k ppvs.

Actually, When this fight/endeavor was announced, I'll admit I was kinda bothered by it because Oscar is scatterring the talent away from the real place this fight (chuck vs tito 3) should be taking place at: Bellator
I think Chuck must've overpriced himself out of the conversation when negotiating with Bellator and as a result, went with Oscar who offered more money
Just to add to that, which I agree with, Oscar is obviously leaning heavily on the Latin American community to buy this card as well. Tito is Mexican, and most of the matches feature Latino fighters who may be well known to Mexican/Latino fans, as many of those fighters on the card fought in Combate. Leonard Garcia is fighting Tibau, and we know Garcia has a rep, even outside of the Latino demographic, for being a fun brawler. I'm starting to believe that this card isn't necessarily meant to be a big card for America at large, but mainly Oscar was hoping that the Latino community would be interested in this card, and hoping some casuals/old school fans would be interested in Chuck. The roster may look bad to guys like us, but I don't watch Combate every time they put on a card. The ones I've watched were pretty good though, so for the Latino community these guys may have names and may draw interest.

This whole thing from the beginning seemed to be nothing but trying to make a quick buck.

The problem with what Oscar's vision is you always need multiple fighters to dance with and with the way MMA is set up that is almost impossible to do. He talks about a guy like Conor could sign a deal similar to what Canelo did(probably less money though). But who hell would Conor fight.??? The stars would have to align to ever make a match that would sell. We'll see a fighters association in the UFC before we'll see fighters try to do what Oscar is talking about.

vTbn44L.png

Tickets | Golden Boy Presents: Liddell v. Ortiz 3 - Inglewood, CA at Ticketmaster

After listening to Filthy Tom Lawlor (co-main) talking about how Golden Boy is basically ignoring him (even though he is co-main), I realized the fight is almost here & checked tickets & it seems like the top tier is closed off.

I can't see this doing well on PPV
Under 100k for sure & maybe 1/2 that
It WAS open when they started selling tickets. Opening price was above 60 bucks so I said fuck them. Ive went to almost all the fights at the forum except UFC 199 :(

there is a reason no top mma org touched this fight. I'm sure bellator learned from their dada scare and left it as that. Who knows how chuck is physically? Dude was getting dropped constantly toward the end of his career. Now the man is like 6 years older. He can't be in a good place.

Tito might actually get one over on chuck.

Will not watch this.

It WAS open when they started selling tickets. Opening price was above 60 bucks so I said fuck them. Ive went to almost all the fights at the forum except UFC 199 :(
You going to Fedor Vs. Bader? strongly considering it myself.

there is a reason no top mma org touched this fight. I'm sure bellator learned from their dada scare and left it as that..

They started negotiating but bailed when Oscar started throwing millions around

You going to Fedor Vs. Bader? strongly considering it myself.
It is a tossup between that and the ufc fight. Im going to wait and see how both cards even out. Im already going to the ultimate fighter finale this month and might get free tix for this event.

He made this card like a boxing card. A intriguing big name main event with a bunch of random no names or past prime fighters on the rest. Mma fights aren’t 12 rounds though so people don’t tune in for just one fight. Hopefully this does well enough for him to learn from his mistake and actually build a respectable card next time. This Pov looks like a strikeforce free card 10 years ago

Oscar in for a serious reality check. One and done for sure.

Double landmark event

First and last golden boy mma show

I think there is a thread in HW forum that the lowered the ppv price too.
Its not looking good for good ol Oscar.

Back