Ortho or Southpaw Dilemma

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by UnderRatedGroundGame, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

Personally when i'm sparring i utilize the switch hook to throw my opponent off, then i spar with the southpaw stance using my left kick to the body, and hand combinations it took a while to get use to, but i got it, you should practice on the bag and shadowbox with both, different things work for different people so i'm not going to say use the switch hook a lot, just practice movement, and angles with both, and work on your weaker hand on the bag in both stances.

2. ShadowoftheSun

ShadowoftheSun White Belt

I like to understate things. :p

3. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

I've been orthodox since I started aged 12. I took a few years off and decided to be southpaw when I came back... and in three years all I developed was a killer right jab lol, I fought one fight and only used my left hand 4 times in the fight... I won a majority decision. Now I'm back to orthodox and find it easy to swap between the two, but my left jab is garbage.

4. Mad Dollar

Mad Dollar Yellow Belt

If you're leftie come to the dark side and join the southpaws it's awesome over here lol.

5. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

...Marvin Hagler was undisputed MW champ for 7 years. He beat Hearns and Duran (and his late career loss to Leonard was close, I still think he won). He was one of the best MWs of all time.

[​IMG]

6. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I dunno if its that great, your filthy kind hates sparring against each other. Went SP once and the guy acted like I put poop in his drink

7. ShadowoftheSun

ShadowoftheSun White Belt

See my above post when I say I like to understate things.

8. UnderRatedGroundGame

UnderRatedGroundGame White Belt

Decides to stick to orthodox and have fun power jabbing. I sparred a few times exclusively fighting in both stances and I had tremendous success with power jabbing and left hooking. So thanks for your opinions.

[​IMG]

9. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

Now I remember why I avoid the Stand Up sub forum...

10. Mad Dollar

Mad Dollar Yellow Belt

Haha, what a sad reaction, I love sparring other SP's it gives so many other options for counters and I love the fact that it makes the outside lowkick available with my rear leg ! But in all honesty I think you should train both stances consistently so you always have the option to switch up your attack!

11. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I kid. I actually use both stances sparribgly. I'm normal, but my left side has always been stronger. But since I'm a tighty I just use SP attacks limitedly. I went SP a few times against other sp's and it confused the hell out of them. One was a new pro actually with an extensive ammy record

Mad Dollar likes this.