Ordering Winning Gloves

If you train with some of the top fighters on the planet, wouldn't you just ask them the questions you ask on here? The majority of them would know more about gear than most of us would.

I don't agree with this - at least not with boxers. They usually push what they get for free or what they've used. I know pros that don't go anywhere near winning, that don't care about gear and use ringside for everything. A lot of top fighters use what they grew up on, Winning is an easy sell due to its reputation but I've seldom run into a pro that has researched or tested gear to the point that I would call them knowledgeable. A lot of pros I know let their managers and trainers make those decisions for them, or they get something for free and are grateful.

James Toney was pushing everlast til the end, even though the gear he fell in love with no longer resembled what the then current offerings were. I do wish they did cared more, recorded their usage, wrote reviews and endorsed only the stuff they really believed in/like. After Grant cut ties with RJJ, he became a Rival guy probably because Russ and him struck up a relationship. When RJJ's gym opened up in vegas it was completely outfitted with Rival if I remember correctly. Maybe Grant didn't cut ties and Rival just offered to pay him since Grant doesn't sponsor fighters, but it really doesn't matter.

bought a pair off kozuji on ebay. legit.

I don't agree with this - at least not with boxers. They usually push what they get for free or what they've used. I know pros that don't go anywhere near winning, that don't care about gear and use ringside for everything. A lot of top fighters use what they grew up on, Winning is an easy sell due to its reputation but I've seldom run into a pro that has researched or tested gear to the point that I would call them knowledgeable. A lot of pros I know let their managers and trainers make those decisions for them, or they get something for free and are grateful.

James Toney was pushing everlast til the end, even though the gear he fell in love with no longer resembled what the then current offerings were. I do wish they did cared more, recorded their usage, wrote reviews and endorsed only the stuff they really believed in/like. After Grant cut ties with RJJ, he became a Rival guy probably because Russ and him struck up a relationship. When RJJ's gym opened up in vegas it was completely outfitted with Rival if I remember correctly. Maybe Grant didn't cut ties and Rival just offered to pay him since Grant doesn't sponsor fighters, but it really doesn't matter.

this the boxing gym iv trained with for last 8 years use cheap title or ringside and think you are just paying for a name of a glove lol

I don't agree with this - at least not with boxers.
Boxers don't usually train in their sponsor gear unless it's an open work out. Manny trains in Winning but fights in Cleto, Floyd trains in Winning but fights in Grant, Jeff Horn trains in Winning but fights in Everlast.

this the boxing gym iv trained with for last 8 years use cheap title or ringside and think you are just paying for a name of a glove lol

Who goes to a gym and uses the gloves they supply... not one fighter at my gym which has 3 Australian title holders at it uses gloves sitting around the gym. Aus heavyweight champ wears Topboxer cause I bought some for him, the others honestly don't care what gloves they wear they just buy some $100 ones from the sports store. These guys are top level athletes and here we are discussing what gear we should wear. All the best gear in the world won't make you a better fighter unless you know what you're doing.

Boxers don't usually train in their sponsor gear unless it's an open work out. Manny trains in Winning but fights in Cleto, Floyd trains in Winning but fights in Grant, Jeff Horn trains in Winning but fights in Everlast.

Who goes to a gym and uses the gloves they supply... not one fighter at my gym which has 3 Australian title holders at it uses gloves sitting around the gym. Aus heavyweight champ wears Topboxer cause I bought some for him, the others honestly don't care what gloves they wear they just buy some $100 ones from the sports store. These guys are top level athletes and here we are discussing what gear we should wear. All the best gear in the world won't make you a better fighter unless you know what you're doing.

i use my own gloves lots of top level guys usa everlast or cheap title especially in ghetto citys lol

obviously better gear wont make you a better fighter i want winning gloves so i dont hurt my training partners and i can go harder and not have to worry about hurting myself or partner training smarter.

i use my own gloves lots of top level guys usa everlast or cheap title especially in ghetto citys lol

obviously better gear wont make you a better fighter i want winning gloves so i dont hurt my training partners and i can go harder and not have to worry about hurting myself or partner training smarter.

So are you a pro then?

100% agree with this. The whole reason I got into reviewing was because there wasnt enough reviews on products. But you are also 100% right that most will just use whatever is around or they grew up with.

But when they use a glove that they love theyre pretty shocked on how great a glove can feel.

Now fast forwarding to present day, assisting with the development and creation of gear
(With 0 stake)Its really interesting to cruise the forums and get a real insight on where it all began as a guy that just posted on sherdog and was essentially just a fan of the sport who fiddled aro

I also think thats why there has always been a cling on to “old school” gear.

Fighters, fans, coaches, gear enthusiasts all have very different views on what makes a great glove.

100% agree with this. The whole reason I got into reviewing was because there wasnt enough reviews on products. But you are also 100% right that most will just use whatever is around or they grew up with.

But when they use a glove that they love theyre pretty shocked on how great a glove can feel.

I gave my friend who has fought over 60 times as an amateur and once as a pro (I still consider him a very high level fighter, he's only just starting his pro career) my Fairtex BGV9s, Winning NG2's and my R2C Facesaver and he couldn't give me enough praise of the gloves and headguard. He had never used gloves that weren't more than $50 and had wrist problems and knuckle problems caused by them. Now he recons he's able to train without pain and said he couldn't see himself going back to cheap gloves when he knows the benefits of good gloves (I told him to use Winning).

My other friend who is the current Heavyweight champion of Australia is sponsored by myself and my dad and we got him some Topboxer gloves as he had some knuckle injuries from using "Punch" brand gloves. He loves the feeling of having quality gloves and doesn't know how he made it this far without ever using good gloves.

What a lot of these guys don't know is that using good gloves can extend your career, how many quality fighters have we lost due to hand injuries suffered years before by wearing crappy gloves during training? I love trying new gear, I'm by no means a high level fighter but I do fight and know the benefit of wearing quality stuff whether it is a brand name or a custom brand. Big or small company I don't care I just love testing it and finding good gear.

Now fast forwarding to present day, assisting with the development and creation of gear
(With 0 stake)Its really interesting to cruise the forums and get a real insight on where it all began as a guy that just posted on sherdog and was essentially just a fan of the sport who fiddled aro

I also think thats why there has always been a cling on to “old school” gear.

who are you talking about here?

I honestly love some old school gear because a lot of old school gear is built to last, and because of the implementation of animal hair in the padding which allows more than the modern foam glove. I could care less about colors or customization, and am not a fan of most modern boxing gloves. For sparring, I personally need a glove that allows me to open my hand because I catch and parry punches instead of just blocking them or slipping.

My issue is that there are those who believe that whatever is available is the best there is because for some reason, it's what is currently available. However, with boxing and boxing equipment, I definitely feel like something has definitely been lost.

For instance, there are very few who teach the catching of punches with the open right hand as Futch instructed Norton to do with Ali here.

Problem with most modern sparring gloves is that the padding is pre-formed foam, which makes it almost impossible to open the hand and catch the jab.

Yes, equipment doesn't really matter if you know what you're doing, but how many of us here actually know what we're doing?

I got my gloves through kozuji, definitely a legit site

Back