Orbital blowout fracture anyone?

Damn, man. I don't know how a glove can fit through there. Were you guys using 16oz gloves? That's kind of insane... Is your FG5000 old? Did you maybe bend the bar open? Because with mine, I can't see any scenario where a glove would get through... When I got injured, my headgear was not very protective around my eye so that's how that happened.

Yeah, I thought my double vision would go away after a bit, but it didn't and I went to the doctor a week later and was sent to the surgeon a few days after a ct scan. Doctor thought I was crazy I didn't go sooner.

Why are you having surgery so much after your injury if you don't mind me asking. Is it because of swelling?

Wait, how the hell did you get an orbital fracture while wearing the FG5000???

I have been sparring since then. I bought the FG5000 after my fracture thinking that it would keep my eyes safe, but I guess not? I've also had two surgeries for tears in my retina... Now I don't know.

Bro I feel you pain. I got into fighting for self defense. To protect myself and those around me who needed protection. You know...only for good reasons. Then this happened smh...
So wait one min, are you saying that after purchasing and wearing the Fg5000 you went on to get two additional surgeries from tears in your retina? Was it tears in the same eye you had the orbital fracture in. Also I just watched a vid about a week ago: boxer Troy King had the same surgery. Maybe it might interest you.

Bro I feel you pain. I got into fighting for self defense. To protect myself and those around me who needed protection. You know...only for good reasons. Then this happened smh...
So wait one min, are you saying that after purchasing and wearing the Fg5000 you went on to get two additional surgeries from tears in your retina? Was it tears in the same eye you had the orbital fracture in. Also I just watched a vid about a week ago: boxer Troy King had the same surgery. Maybe it might interest you.
No, no. I'm not sure when the retinal tears occurred. I was seeing a lot of floaters and was afraid of a detachment and got my eyes checked and found tears. Doctor says probably from getting hit in the eye. Don't know if it was the same time I fractured it. It was subsequent to this that I bought the FG5000 (because it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the hospital bills). I was told that if I keep getting hit in the eye, I might go blind (I think scare tactics). But I bought the FG5000 so that I can see my posterity and not depend on my wife's descriptions. haha...

Don't google the orbital blowout surgery before you get it. It's so freaking gross.

Damn, man. I don't know how a glove can fit through there. Were you guys using 16oz gloves? That's kind of insane... Is your FG5000 old? Did you maybe bend the bar open? Because with mine, I can't see any scenario where a glove would get through... When I got injured, my headgear was not very protective around my eye so that's how that happened.

Yeah, I thought my double vision would go away after a bit, but it didn't and I went to the doctor a week later and was sent to the surgeon a few days after a ct scan. Doctor thought I was crazy I didn't go sooner.

Why are you having surgery so much after your injury if you don't mind me asking. Is it because of swelling?
I don't know either...and we were wearing 18oz gloves. My coach supplied the gloves he had...I remember those glove needing stitching cause the knuckle part in the left glove was coming out. It could've been that but the gloves honestly looked fine after the stitching. I don't know if it was that are if the punch was really that hard. I usually bend the bar a little foward so I get space between it and my nose(I've got a big nose). The head gear itself doesn't sit to tight on my head, I often find my self adjust after a good hit while sparring. I don't mind you asking me anything thing...ask away. Hopefully these questions and answers will helps a fighter.

I only had one surgery. That was actually yesterday morning. The eye is swallowing shut from it.i went to the emergency room the same night, I got scans, they saw that I have an orbital floor blowout...said it Wasn't a major fracture but it wasn't light either, that the eye was no longer sitting right as it had sunk down a Litlle due to the fracture of the orbital floor...they waited a week to see if my vision would correct itself, during the meantime I was giving steroids to reduce swelling and help with the recovery. After the week the vision improved but I still saw double I never looked up/down. And the fracture eye couldn't travel as far up as the unfractured one; I really hope the surgery helps that cause I look looney when ever I look up. They put a titanium metal piece to replace to broken fracture in the eyesocket and to help the guy said back to original position. I'm realizing as I text this now that my injured eye doesn't feel sunken in any longer

No, no. I'm not sure when the retinal tears occurred. I was seeing a lot of floaters and was afraid of a detachment and got my eyes checked and found tears. Doctor says probably from getting hit in the eye. Don't know if it was the same time I fractured it. It was subsequent to this that I bought the FG5000 (because it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the hospital bills). I was told that if I keep getting hit in the eye, I might go blind (I think scare tactics). But I bought the FG5000 so that I can see my posterity and not depend on my wife's descriptions. haha...

Don't google the orbital blowout surgery before you get it. It's so freaking gross.
Lol too late ...I googled it like three days after my injury and I was told her that I might be surgery...I showed the vids to my girlfriend and she almost puked haha... they could be scare tactics, doctors just don't understand what it means to be an athlete and the great difficulty that comes with walking away from a sport you love. Still, I would take those concerns seriously cause you never know. I maybe wrong but i think I recall boxer Troy King saying something similar from the vid I referred u to(his eye injury)

Interesting... Yeah, they put a plastic plate in mine, which is somewhat pliable so that if I get hit in the eye, it will bend but won't break. I've talked to some others who have the titanium plate and the danger there is if you get hit in the eye, there won't be any give so that your eyeball will basically explode (maybe this is somewhat dramatic). The orbital floor is extra brittle so that when there is pressure on your eyeball, it has somewhere to go rather than explode. At least this is what I've been told...

Yeah, maybe bending the facebar caused it to be more open? When I first got my FG5000, I took a glove and tried to see if it would go through the open part, and it didn't (and this is the glove without a fist in it). So I don't know.

Your vision should improve over the next few months... I had a different kind of double vision post-surgery than pre-surgery, but it went away over a few months. Also, I noticed I'd have worse double vision in the morning because of all the blood going to my head and causing swelling when I was laying down. I hope you heal, man. My doctor had an orbital fracture and he showed me his looney eyes, haha. Fortunately, mine only do that when I look really far up. I still have some double vision, but it's something I can live with thought it annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to look at stuff at certain angles.

Also, with the surgery, if you get a plate installed under your eyeball (if it was the orbital floor) you'll be less liable to fracture that orbit again. If you get a metal plate, though, your eyeball might explode if you get hit in the eye.
Wowww you just gave me the scare of my life. I got a titanium plate put there. Or you saying that my that my chances or fracturing it will lessen, but if I get hit too hard, my eye might explode due to that metal peice???

Wowww you just gave me the scare of my life. I got a titanium plate put there. Or you saying that my that my chances or fracturing it will lessen, but if I get hit too hard, my eye might explode due to that metal peice???
That's what I've been told. You should ask your doctor about it. At least you won't fracture it again...

It was another guy on the forum who got the titanium plate who said that his doctor told him this.

That's what I've been told. You should ask your doctor about it. At least you won't fracture it again...

It was another guy on the forum who got the titanium plate who said that his doctor told him this.
I tried searching for that statement mentioned from the other guy. Then I've been doing research of any scenarios where fighters have lost an eye due to refracturing an orbital bone.:.but I couldn't find anything. Do you know where I can read that statement, the one about "your eye ball exploding if you get hit in the eye that has a metal piece." Also I'll b sure to ask the Doctor when I see him. I really want to return to boxing or do Brazilian jiu jitsu...but now I can stop contemplating on reinjuring the eye.

I tried searching for that statement mentioned from the other guy. Then I've been doing research of any scenarios where fighters have lost an eye due to refracturing an orbital bone.:.but I couldn't find anything. Do you know where I can read that statement, the one about "your eye ball exploding if you get hit in the eye that has a metal piece." Also I'll b sure to ask the Doctor when I see him. I really want to return to boxing or do Brazilian jiu jitsu...but now I can stop contemplating on reinjuring the eye.
Oh, that was in a private conversation, not on the threads. I doubt that it really happens (though I suppose it's hypothetically possible if there were enough pressure, but it seems dramatic—as I mentioned above)...

Don't worry about it, man. Just be more careful when you spar and/or do jiu-jitsu. But you shouldn't even think about that for the time being.

Oh, that was in a private conversation, not on the threads. I doubt that it really happens (though I suppose it's hypothetically possible if there were enough pressure, but it seems dramatic—as I mentioned above)...

Don't worry about it, man. Just be more careful when you spar and/or do jiu-jitsu. But you shouldn't even think about that for the time being.
Thanks...that's a bit reassuring. Since you've sparred after the injury I know chances are, although it's healed,you've probably have taken some light and heavy shots on the eye that had the fracture. Can you describe to me the feel in any way... how it's like getting hit now.

Thanks...that's a bit reassuring. Since you've sparred after the injury I know chances are, although it's healed,you've probably have taken some light and heavy shots on the eye that had the fracture. Can you describe to me the feel in any way... how it's like getting hit now.
I've taken light shots to the eye when I haven't worn headgear... It feels the same as before.

For the most part, though, I've been using my FG5000 and have not been taking any shots to the eye at all.

You should take a look at your facesaver to see if there is an apparent problem with it. If there is, fix it. If not, maybe get a different one? Also, try not to get hit in the face as much...

In 7 years of kickboxing I never got hurt, not even a bloody nose. Admittedly I'm a giant and it's less competitive in the heavyweight and super heavyweight categories.

That said, if I was hurt like that I would consider taking up a different sport. I only did it for fun and to prove myself, it wasn't my chance to get out of the ghetto or something.

Do you get enough calcium?

jesus, now I know why Koscheck was never the same after the GSP fight

I had thread about it both here and in Mayberry. It took me awhile to start seeing normal again (More than a couple weeks). Almost four months later, right now its about 98%. I still have some issues but otherwise no problem going on about my daily life. Still not risking doing certain things like sparring and training hard though.

Howdy. Found this thread. I have had two orbital fractures in the same eye. First time was 15 years - robbery/assault in Nicaragua - fractured my zygomatic complex - broken zygomatic arch, inferior orbital floor, anterior orbital rim, and cheekbone as well. Had reconstructive surgery - resorbable Gelfilm implant under the eye with fixation on anterior rim, repaired zygomatic arch, and titanium microplates on cheekbone. I lost sensation on right side of face, but it returned completely within 6 months. Surgery was complex, but literally couldn't tell anything happened. Pretty amazing. No damage to eye itself, and I didn't have diplopia which is strange. Fast forward 15 years - I was sparring a month ago with face saver headgear similar to Fg5000 against a southpaw who was throwing hard (boxing) - and took a shot to the eye from his power side. Even with the nose bar, the hand or glove doesn't have to make direct contact - the hydrostatic pressure can create a blowout fracture. We were sparring with 16oz gloves. I saw double immediately in all fields of gaze. CT scan the next day showed fracture to inferior orbital floor - same eye - eye itself totally fine. Had orbital repair surgery bc some tissue entrapped in fracture. 3 weeks post surgery still have diplopia in extreme upgaze. Very frustrating. Hoping it will resolve within a year but who knows. There is no muscle entrapment but there could be muscle damage or some restriction of inferior rectus due to edema. Could also be damage to one of the obliques because the image is tilted when I look up. I feel your pain - have been through this twice now. Hoping double vision resolves but who knows. Surgery and freeing entrapped inferior rectus often helps with diplopia on upgaze, but not always. Surgery on the extraocular muscles is an option but it's pretty risky. Has your double vision resolved on upgaze or is it still there?

Back