Orbital blowout fracture anyone?

hangulmalmotayo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Has anyone else on here had an orbital blowout fracture and had surgery for it? If so, do you still have diplopia? Has it seriously affected your training?

I ask because I just had surgery after a pretty bad orbital blowout fracture from getting punched in the eye. I'm afraid that some of the damage is permanent. I.e., when I look up I still see double (which is a lot better than how things were before surgery). Does anyone here have any experience with working through that? Any advice or tips?

Thanks!

Has anyone else on here had an orbital blowout fracture and had surgery for it? If so, do you still have diplopia? Has it seriously affected your training?

I ask because I just had surgery after a pretty bad orbital blowout fracture from getting punched in the eye. I'm afraid that some of the damage is permanent. I.e., when I look up I still see double (which is a lot better than how things were before surgery). Does anyone here have any experience with working through that? Any advice or tips?

Thanks!

Yep, shit sucked! Had orbital fracture, high cheek fracture and zygomatic fracture. After surgery, It took about 6-8 weeks before the double or blurry vision cleared up and I was back to doing light training at about 10wks post op. My advice, it's your eye, your vision, you don't want to risk any further damage so I'd suggest taking as lengthy of a recovery as advised by Dr's. In my instance, the only permanent or semi permanent damage was the nerve damage. When cheek bone broke (snapped in half) it severed a bunch of the nerves and for about 6months I really couldn't feel anything on that side of my face (as in i'd literally drool when drinking liquid for about 3months). It began improving slowly (pins n needles feeling) over time and now (7yrs later) most of the feeling has returned (70%), but it will never fully return. Good news, the left side of my face was essentially reconstructed with titanium and screws and with the nerve damage I don't feel a whole lot. In short, taking a hard shot on that side is of far less concern than the other :D

bang3.jpg

bang3.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, shit sucked! Had orbital fracture, high cheek fracture and zygomatic fracture. After surgery, It took about 6-8 weeks before the double or blurry vision cleared up and I was back to doing light training at about 10wks post op. My advice, it's your eye, your vision, you don't want to risk any further damage so I'd suggest taking as lengthy of a recovery as advised by Dr's. In my instance, the only permanent or semi permanent damage was the nerve damage. When cheek bone broke (snapped in half) it severed a bunch of the nerves and for about 6months I really couldn't feel anything on that side of my face (as in i'd literally drool when drinking liquid for about 3months). It began improving slowly (pins n needles feeling) over time and now (7yrs later) most of the feeling has returned (70%), but it will never fully return. Good news, the left side of my face was essentially reconstructed with titanium and screws and with the nerve damage I don't feel a whole lot. In short, taking a hard shot on that side is of far less concern than the other :D

bang3.jpg
bang3.jpg.html

Thanks for the reply, man. That sounds awful, but I'm glad everything is back to normal.

The left side of my face (from my left cheek to my upper front tooth) is still numb. Thankfully, I haven't been drooling, at least not that I know of. On occasion, I have looked at my reflection only to find crumbs or sauce on my upper lip that I didn't wipe away because I couldn't feel anything there.

I had surgery on Friday and while most of the double vision is gone, there is still double vision when I look far up. For whatever reason, my gut feeling is that this is permanent, but your response is giving me some hope that it will heal after a few months.

Thanks for your advice. That makes me feel better and I'll be extra careful to take it easy these next few months.

Thanks for the reply, man. That sounds awful, but I'm glad everything is back to normal.

The left side of my face (from my left cheek to my upper front tooth) is still numb. Thankfully, I haven't been drooling, at least not that I know of. On occasion, I have looked at my reflection only to find crumbs or sauce on my upper lip that I didn't wipe away because I couldn't feel anything there.

I had surgery on Friday and while most of the double vision is gone, there is still double vision when I look far up. For whatever reason, my gut feeling is that this is permanent, but your response is giving me some hope that it will heal after a few months.

Thanks for your advice. That makes me feel better and I'll be extra careful to take it easy these next few months.
Good luck bro, it's a tough recovery....... but from my experience it's nothing that has any long lasting affects on your athletic or physical aptitude. Posted a pic for you above, was a nasty process

Good luck bro, it's a tough recovery....... but from my experience it's nothing that has any long lasting affects on your athletic or physical aptitude. Posted a pic for you above, was a nasty process
Damn. I'm glad you're better now.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling more optimistic about how things will turn out thanks to your reply. It's hard to sit still and not train, but it is what it is... I'll probably feel differently once we get the hospital bill, though.

Speaking from experience... You're prob gonna have to live with it at 98%

Speaking from experience... You're prob gonna have to live with it at 98%
Thanks for the response, Mike. I can live with 98%, as long as it's better than it is currently (it's been about three weeks since the fracture, and a week since surgery).

When I was a kid I managed to have both my orbitals fractured from different instances at the same time... One was falling face-first into the corner of a table, the other my bro threw a cricket bat at me, and it connected flush... Surprised social services didn't drag me away!

Doctor gave me the go ahead to start non-contact training. Of course, one day into it I injure my Achilles' tendon out of zeal to make up on lost time.

No bueno.

So it's been almost a year since I had my surgery and I still notice some double vision when I look up.

I was wondering: have any of you who have had an orbital blowout fracture surgery done any vision therapy for the continuing double vision? My doctor never mentioned it, but I recently (i.e., yesterday) thought that maybe it might help even a little bit with my double vision...

View attachment 78315

bang3.jpg
did you get that competing or sparring?

Thanks!

I suffered the same injury three weeks ago. I am about to do the surgery tomorrow. The first week I saw double vision at all times, and then slowly started to see single vision again. However, when I'll look up or down I still see double vision although it is not as bad as before. I am hoping that this surgery tomorrow will help alleviate this. also the injured eye is able to rotate or travel Way more upwards , further in than the injured Eye...I have a gut instant that it will get better but with time. I am seeing that countless boxers and MMA fighters have the same injury, Conor Mcgregor for one suffered from it years back

someone tell me these injuries only happen when you compete with size 10oz or less gloves

<6>

I suffered the same injury three weeks ago. I am about to do the surgery tomorrow. The first week I saw double vision at all times, and then slowly started to see single vision again. However, when I'll look up or down I still see double vision although it is not as bad as before. I am hoping that this surgery tomorrow will help alleviate this. also the injured eye is able to rotate or travel Way more upwards , further in than the injured Eye...I have a gut instant that it will get better but with time. I am seeing that countless boxers and MMA fighters have the same injury, Conor Mcgregor for one suffered from it years back
Good luck, man. I think nerves and tissue are trapped due to the fracture--preventing your one eye from moving properly. It's been over a year but I still have double vision when I look up at certain angles. It's a lot better than before though.

Good luck, man. I think nerves and tissue are trapped due to the fracture--preventing your one eye from moving properly. It's been over a year but I still have double vision when I look up at certain angles. It's a lot better than before though.
Thanks I hope for a speedy recovery. Sad thing, I was wearing a Winning fg5000 facebar head gear; you would think that you'd be more protected with the best headgear on the market. I have so many doubts now. I know now I have to be more active at protecting myself when o get back in the ring...Not scared but a tad bit worried that if I continue to box I might refracture the eye, resulting in me looking lik a cockeyed lunatic o_O...it has really got me thinking that I should go into Brazilian Jiu jitsu(always wanted to learn bjj)...have you continued fighting or at least sparring since the injury.

Thanks I hope for a speedy recovery. Sad thing, I was wearing a Winning fg5000 facebar head gear; you would think that you'd be more protected with the best headgear on the market. I have so many doubts now. I know now I have to be more active at protecting myself when o get back in the ring...Not scared but a tad bit worried that if I continue to box I might refracture the eye, resulting in me looking lik a cockeyed lunatic o_O...it has really got me thinking that I should go into Brazilian Jiu jitsu(always wanted to learn bjj)...have you continued fighting or at least sparring since the injury.
Wait, how the hell did you get an orbital fracture while wearing the FG5000???

I have been sparring since then. I bought the FG5000 after my fracture thinking that it would keep my eyes safe, but I guess not? I've also had two surgeries for tears in my retina... Now I don't know.

Last edited:
Also, with the surgery, if you get a plate installed under your eyeball (if it was the orbital floor) you'll be less liable to fracture that orbit again. If you get a metal plate, though, your eyeball might explode if you get hit in the eye.

Wait, how the hell did you get an orbital fracture while wearing the FG5000???

I have been sparring since then. I bought the FG5000 after my fracture thinking that it would keep my eyes safe, but I guess not? I've also had two surgeries for tears in my retina... Now I don't know.
That's exactly what I've been thinking to myself this whole time. I have NO IDEA how such a fracture would happen with an fg5000. I have heard of one case where a boxer still had his nose broken while wearing the gear...but those cases aren't all too common. WHEN I first got the head gear I felt lik the juggernaut; at times I would taunt sparring partners, keeping my hands down and just eating their blows lik I had the munchies. That was how protective felt with the gear. This incident was diff. I was being protective. My sparring partner is good but at times I often have the upper hand. I felt lik the glove from the punch traveled somewhat throw the 'eye opening' of the facebar. I do recall at the end of the round my partner apologized saying "hey Jim, my glove went to into you mask and hit your eye?...sorry about that man."

I thought i was OK, kinda shrugged it off. I remember being hit in the past and seeing double vision but I continue sparring as the double vision would only last two or three seconds. However when I got out of the room I noticed that the double vision has not gone away. That night I rushed to the emergency room Meredith I had a bone fracture of the orbital floor. I don't know if the cushioning of the clothes he was wearing has worn down or if he just hit that really hard at the punch penetrated through the head gear. Now I'm left feeling so insecure about my gear. I've been contemplating on purchasing a new one(fg5000)..lol cause it's kinda traumatic thinking about putting the same headgear on that I got injured with. I was thinking of buying using the fighting sport no contact facebar headgear but that thing is the size of a football helmet and o have a big head. I'd be getting tagged left to right and o feel it's not as protective...I just don't knw man

Back