Options..

Locke91

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post here, so don't get mad if this isn't the right place to post.

Simple, question.
I want to start training hard again, and be more complete as a fighter. My background is sanshou and sanda.
I've found 4 schools that interest me, however, I only have time for three.

I'm a European, so for some reason, schools that teach fighting are limited.
BJJ and wrestling are almost non-excisted in my country. But I've found a school wich does three hour classes (Cheng BJJ) twice a week. And a school wich teaches wrestling once a week.

Now I have to choose between Muay Thai and Boxing. Muay Thai is a 5 minute drive and boxing is like a hour (horrible traffic).

Muay Thai club is so-so, the boxing club produces some champions (Sugar Jackson, for people from Europe).

I always thought MT would be the way to go since you use your legs more. However, I've talked to some MT guys and when they spar (or fight) a boxer, they have no answer for there footwork.
I love lowkicks and kicking in general tho, and my stifness is greatly reduced when I work on kicking.
I do have a sweetspot for boxing, it always seemed like a gentleman sport.

For what it's worth ; I'm 25, 174cm and weigh 80kg, no idea on bodyfat. I also do some powerlifting so I like to use my power. I like to use kicks and punches for closing distance and throwing people around in sanda.

So, boxing or MT?

Not really planning on competing. Just want to be a more complete fighter. (not streetfighter!)

Sorry for my english, tired and not my first language.

If you don't care about competing nor care about street fighting ability then the answer is simply to do what you enjoy more. Which sport do you enjoy more and does one gym being easily accessible and closer to you matter to you?

You will be a more complete fighter either way obviously one thing will teach you to kick as well and the other will teach you better how to use your hands. You apparently already know how to kick so it's just about what you wanna work on more and what is more fun to you.

I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer

There's no way to tell except to try both for a little bit and see which one clicks more

The answer will get clearer

If you're already a strong kicker then go for boxing. If you dont mind and want to be more complete then i would recommend MT as then you will have most aspects of fighting down

Back