Options from failed armbar? (no gi)

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If I've gone for an armbar, I'm cranking it but it's not on, what options do I have from that position in no gi?

More specifics are needed...

Armbar from where? Guard? Mount? Belly up? Belly down?

Depends on what exact positiong they're in. You can hold the armbar positioning and move their arm under your armpit (under the elbow) to finish the armbar, you can pull them into a triangle if they come up with it. You can abandon the arm and push their head as they sit up and roll the opposite way into a knee bar. You can switch up to your knees as you rotate on them and grab a kimura on the same arm you were armbarring if they were trying to roll out of it. You can take their back if they were trying to roll out of it if you can recognize it in time.

There's a ton of things you can do from that position. :D

Tickling the armpit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I should have said arm bar from mount.

take the back

put your bottom leg between his, lift your top leg over his head. grab his shoulder area and drag him up while you worm over to his back

Transition to triangle.

This. A basic way to transition to the triangle from a mounted armbar is if they are doing a basic gable grip defense; simply slide the leg closest to his torso under both arms and then take the leg closest to his face and put it on top of his head. When he postures up you got the triangle.

People catch onto this pretty quickly and that was a shit written example but im sure you can find it on youtube.

Old thread. So triangle or back take is the best option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back