Opinions on the Kingdom Hearts games?

Theprospect26

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I see that Kingdom Hearts 2.8 was just released on PS4. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these games, especially Dream Drop Distance? I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game. It looks interesting with the Disney characters, but at the same time it looks kiddy as hell too lol. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys.

Good games, story can get fucking confusing and weird, but the gameplay is fun. And depending on if you're a fan of disney, going to the disney worlds is pretty cool, though tbh its not my favorite part of the series. I enjoy them more when they interact with the FF characters or do their own KH thing.

If you want to get into the series, I recommend waiting for the 1.5+2.5 remix PS4 version. That way you can start from the beginning. Getting 2.8 will confuse you story wise, though you'll probably have fun with the gameplay. KH1 feels a bit stiff by today's standards, but still a decent play, KH2 and beyond still hold up well.

Also people like to rag on the handheld spin offs, but they are actually all pretty good, especially birth by sleep and Dream Drop Distance, they are canon and expand the story and are overall good/fun games. The combat gets progressively better as the games go on too.

Played 1+2 on PS2. I really enjoyed them, besides the wonky camera.

Going through old Disney haunts was such a joy for me.

KH2 has some of the most fun game play ever. I've only played 1&2 mainline, but I have the 1.5 remix on PS3 I need to go through. Story can be a little out there, but its Disney meets FF with diverse maps and great gameplay.

I never got around to them in their original release either, so I'm glad PS4 is getting the KH 1+2 remaster along with 2.8 so I can get through before KH3. Thinking the kid will really enjoy playing with dad.

I see that Kingdom Hearts 2.8 was just released on PS4. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these games, especially Dream Drop Distance? I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game. It looks interesting with the Disney characters, but at the same time it looks kiddy as hell too lol. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys.
I played the first two when the came out way back when, but I'm not sure actually what has happened since, as it appears it's a lot of repacking of various handheld games under every 2.0 Dream Remix double drop whatever the fuck title.

Looks like a compilation pack for parts 1 and 2 and all the other bits will be coming out for the ps4 in the near future. That'd be the one to get.

I just played the first and loved it, never played anyone after it. Then I was confused with he titles and never cared for them again. Wish they release the other games o Xbox One, or I still won't play lol.

I enjoy them a lot.

Though I do not think 1's gameplay has aged well.

2 is still super dope though.

I played the first and second games as a child and I loved them. Well, I would have loved the first game had it not kept crashing on me as a reached the final boss... But I will buy the 1.5 & 2.5 games in March, then the 2.8 gae

I've watched friends play a lot of the 1st, and I know folks who've played the shit out of them in general. But I only got around to playing the first few minutes of 1, and that's it.

Enjoyable but don't expect a huge challenge it catered to little kids.

I only played the PS2 games (1, RE:CoM & 2). Even so, one of my all-time favorite series and I can't wait for 3 to drop.

Odd I never personally got into the games as I loved Disney growing up and love the FF franchise. Also I've loved the two big main theme songs to come from KH haha

I only played 1 and it was fun.

Never played any of the sequels though

They're good, but a little dated. I can only talk about the original two, but at the time, it was just refreshing to play a game that you thought would suck, but ended up being pretty fuckin' good.

That said, the combat has not aged well, and it gets repetitive quickly. I played a bit of KH2 recently, and while the worlds are still impressive, and polished, I find that it's all masking a very basic game. You do the same shit over and over again, and the only thing hiding the basic nature of the game, is the WOW factor of the presentation. I know that sounds like every game, but this one particularly stands out. There is no strategy to the core gameplay. You just run around the city hubs collecting shit, and then just mash a button in combat the whole time. When you die, you don't feel like you fucked up proper. You just feel like you didn't mash the button enough, and vice versa when you win. It's all very basic and hectic.

Still worth a look though. It's still very impressive to look at, and the story is enough to keep you plugging away. Just don't expect the action/RPG elements to be on the same level as the cream of the crop.

Back