Opinions on Jim Cornette? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling Discussion' started by DannyNL, Jun 21, 2017.

1. chubbman Yellow Card

chubbman
    He's a crotchety old guy shouting at a cloud, but god damn do I love listening to him shout at that cloud

2. GSPSAKU Purple Belt

GSPSAKU
    World Class manager, world class when it comes to getting heat and getting his guys over, and right up there with Paul Heyman in terms of mic work although I have Heyman ahead of him in mic work.

With that out of the way, how do I feel about Cornette's passion and views on wrestling? Honestly, outside of his ridiculous love for the ME and RRE, I agree with him more often than not but that's the thing; I've yet to find another person who I've agreed with 100% on every single topic. But as it stands, I do agree with Cornette more often than not although he tends to hold grudges for far too long.

His passion is second to none but that's the double edge sword. Whenever you find anyone who is as passionate about a given topic as Cornette is with wrestling, they will come off as hyper critical and often bitter. The really passionate guys can often be blind, think they know everything, that their shit don't stink, and get pissed very easily.

When he talks about how to draw money in wrestling, he's right almost all of the time. It's not about the moveset and any and every top wrestler who has ever drawn a dime will tell you that. Heck, you don't even need them to tell you that. Just look at anyone who's been a top guy for more than a few years starting from the 80s; there's the Hogan, Flair, Savage, Sting, Hart, Michaels, Austin, Undertaker, HHH, Rock, Goldberg, Angle, Foley, Cena, and Punk (not listing everyone but close enough). Outside of Michaels, none of these guys are known for their extensive acrobatic moves. It's not about how many moves you have, how high you can jump, nor how many rotations you make before landing on your opponent. That stuff gets old after a while. The guys that drew the most money (Hogan, Austin, Rock, Goldberg) never went to the top rope when they were ranking in the cash and this is coming from a guy whose favorite wrestler of all time is Bret Hart and favorite wrestler post Bret Hart is AJ Styles. I love the acrobatic moves that put you in awe but the moves have to mean something.

Cornette's memory and knowledge of wrestling is second to none as well and he can elaborate and articulate with the best of them and yes, his voice can get VERY annoying but if I had to listen to someone talk about wrestling for an hour or more, give me Cornette. If I want entertainment from an interview, give me Cornette. Honestly, the guy gets off his rocker at times but I love Cornette's passion, his knowledge, and the entertainment value is top notch

3. chubbman Yellow Card

chubbman
    I one day hope to hate someone as much as Cornette hates Russo

sleepwalk likes this.
  4. El Moose Purple Belt

El Moose
    With his vast knowledge of the business he'd probably be an asset to a company. Unfortunately he seems to be stuck in 1986 and even people who like him would admit he's a miserable prick of a human. I do find it hilarious when he talks like a tough guy about wanting to fight Russo.

About the 5 min mark Prichard tells a story about Vince being disgusted by Cornette

5. sleepwalk pork roll, egg and cheese belt

sleepwalk
    Corny, like anyone else in the business is right more often than he's wrong but he's usually very right in broad strokes about little stuff and very wrong in great detail about the big picture.

In this respect, I find it somewhat ironic that, given his views on religion, he is a fundamentalist in his own "religion" of pro wrestling. Anyone looking to run a promotion should, by all means, listen to what he has to say and, under no circumstances, put him on any type of committee.

As for his hatred of Vince Russo, fine. I don't like a lot of shit he did, either, even if it was a beautiful train wreck at times. If you can't get it together well enough to not threaten the guy's wife and kids, it has officially run its course and you should probably find something else in your life to care that much about.

6. GSPSAKU Purple Belt

GSPSAKU
    The funniest, and at the same time saddest, thing I've seen between two non-wrestlers is their feud. It's hilarious but wow, yesterday Cornette was served with an emergency protective order aka immediate restraining order, for fear of physical harm to him and his family. Really? Funny yet oh so sad

7. prod2821 Gold Belt

prod2821
    he's a legend, he's funny and crazy, but sometimes stuck in the past and for that will be annoying

Bruce and Conrad's Something to Wrestle With on him was funny as hell, George the rat death, Spaghettio's, always carrying a spare key for handcuffs

lettuce not forget the double meat, double cheese, double onion, double mayo.........motherfucker!

8. tmnpothead Teenage Mutant Ninja Pothead

tmnpothead
    About politics you're correct. Couldn't care less. He does care about wrestling very much. Id say he's the opposite of Russo.

Hell they probably could have made the best medium tho. But being the people they are it'd never work

9. jdionio Blue Belt

jdionio
    I respect his opinion and wealth of knowledge, but the boys gotta be paid and if you can do it through wrestling a girl/blow-up doll or making your dick a star, more power to you. However, to piss on their efforts outside of those spots is just bitter old man territory. Plus he fucked up on Steen, Generico, and various other talents, and now look at them. Working in the WWE and being paid.

10. ProBoxingInsidr Black Belt

ProBoxingInsidr
    probably because they would

11. Frank23 Gold Belt

Frank23
    He is a Pro Wrestling lifer.

12. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    Gonna say this again: Dude, watch maybe 5 episodes Smokey Mountain and OVW.

Creatively he is excellent.

13. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    They would need to lose the mullets and lift a bit but they would have an awesome run.

14. Fedorable Subtle Beast.

Fedorable
    Like his wrestling stuff, he has the politics of a rich kid who was in show business his whole life.

15. The Higher Power "IT'S ME, AUSTIN!!!"

The Higher Power
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America
    He made Glen Jacobs into a wrestling Christmas tree in SMW and wanted to push the likes of Nick Dinsmore, Rob Conway, and the Damaja over Cena in OVW.

MixedMartialArtsFan likes this.
  16. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    He made major mistakes but he did have a fantastic run with SMW and OVW.

ArchGoat likes this.
  17. ArchGoat _|_ PoserCaust Genocide _|_

ArchGoat
    Love his rants best shooter ever imo even if i don't agree with all of it it's entertaining as hell

18. The Higher Power "IT'S ME, AUSTIN!!!"

The Higher Power
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America
    SMW went bust and he got fired from OVW.

MixedMartialArtsFan likes this.
  19. warriorscomeout Silver Belt

warriorscomeout
    Everybody from SMW got paid and NXT is OVW.

20. GSPSAKU Purple Belt

GSPSAKU
    To be fair with the second line, Nick Dinsmore was definitely the far superior wrestler and at the time, equal to Cena on the mic.