Open Range (2003)

G

Guestx

This is one of those movies that I had heard a lot about over the years, but I never took the time to watch it until last night. And now that I've seen it, I have to say, this is a damn good western!

Costner and Duvall in particular are excellent and the film has a couple of the best, most real-feeling shootout scenes I've ever seen.

It's clear that Kevin Costner enjoys the genre. Two of the three films he has directed have been Westerns and he also is in a country band, so there's just something about that whole vibe that he likes. It would be nice to get one more western out of him before he calls it a career.

Any here seen Open Range? Thoughts on it?

5166e3Ia3aL.jpg

It's a solid slow burn western, The Missing was a really solid western too and came out around the same.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember liking the tone. The final shootout was also really good.

I prefer Appaloosa though.

It's a solid slow burn western, The Missing was a really solid western too and came out around the same too.

The Missing's another one that's been on my list for a long time. I'll have to check it out.

Also, Cold Mountain.

Yeah the shootout is very good. It's striking how they kill the professional gunman from the get-go with a point-blank headshoot, taking out one of the biggest profiles just like that (and it's excellently filmed as well).

giphy.gif

The rest of the movie also has this very Costner-y feel to it. The story is very humanistic and down-to-earth. You have these rough-working yet humble-living cow herders -- and the movie is basically focused on Costner finding love under difficult circumstances, aided by the wisdom of his older partner, as they are drawn into this gundown. It's very much about how these are ordinary guys with ordinary desires. Hell, before the gundown they walk into that general store and buy the priciest piece of chocolate they can find since they know that they're gambling with their lives anyways! I loved that part, it says so much about them. Before I die I just want to taste this really expensive piece of candy!:D

really good movie. duvall is cool as hell in it. modern westerns are some of my favorite films these days. I love how they make them much more gritty than they used to, but then again, I suppose all movies are nowadays. since I'm seeing recommendations, "The Homesman" is mine here.

Yeah the shootout is very good. It's striking how they kill the professional gunman from the get-go with a point-blank headshoot, taking out one of the biggest profiles just like that (and it's excellently filmed as well).

giphy.gif

The rest of the movie also has this very Costner-y feel to it. The story is very humanistic and down-to-earth. You have these rough-working yet humble-living cow herders -- and the movie is basically focused on Costner finding love under difficult circumstances, aided by the wisdom of his older partner, as they are drawn into this gundown. It's very much about how these are ordinary guys with ordinary desires. Hell, before the gundown they walk into that general store and buy the priciest piece of chocolate they can find since they know that they're gambling with their lives anyways! I loved that part, it says so much about them. Before I die I just want to taste this really expensive piece of candy!:D

Good thoughts. There were some great moments in the film, and the candy scene was one of them.

The DVD has quite a few extras on it so I'm going to go through it. I read that the Costner commentary is good.

really good movie. duvall is cool as hell in it. modern westerns are some of my favorite films these days. I love how they make them much more gritty than they used to, but then again, I suppose all movies are nowadays. since I'm seeing recommendations, "The Homesman" is mine here.

Agreed on Duvall. It's funny, because that son of a bitch has been old for like 20 years now but he's never stopped being awesome.

I actually watched The Homesman a few months ago. Good film. I don't really regard it as a heavy hitter in the genre but it's a solid watch.

My recommendation will have to be The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It's very much a slow burn and it's also long, so it requires some patience to get through, but it's worth it.

I remember watching it, and really enjoying it.

But for some reason, no fault of the movie itself (obviously), I don't think I've ever watched it again. If I see it on BluRay, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.

I remember watching it, and really enjoying it.

But for some reason, no fault of the movie itself (obviously), I don't think I've ever watched it again. If I see it on BluRay, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.

Funny thing about the Blu-Ray: I went to check the price today and apparently a Region 1 Blu-Ray just doesn't exist. There's a European release, but not a North American release.

WTF? Makes no sense.

You definitely should watch it again when you get the chance.

apparently a Region 1 Blu-Ray just doesn't exist.

Da Faq....?

Practically everything is on BluRay now.

Only time I couldn't find something on BluRay, was with the second season of FX's Damages. The first season was on BluRay, but not the second, for some reason. Had to resort to buying it on DVD.

Yeah, the horrible sacrifices we make for living in the 1st world.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Open-Range-20...n-Costner-NEW-SEALED-/262376656969?nav=SEARCH

Open Range on Region-Free BluRay.... $89 after shipping.

Anyone love the film THAT much to pay $89 for it?

Its like $6 on DVD, so I'll settle for that.

The whole thing is very strange and just doesn't make sense. I wonder what the deal is there.

I may also have to just pick up the DVD. That's how I watched it last night--I got the DVD from the library--and it looks good.

BTW not sure if you care about special features, but the DVD is a two-disc set with a lot of extras.

I enjoyed it the one time I watched it. Really should go back and watch it again sometime.

I enjoyed it the one time I watched it. Really should go back and watch it again sometime.

If you can get a hold of the DVD, there's a pretty interesting behind-the-scenes feature on it.

Costner comes off as a really cool dude with a lot of passion for filmmaking in general and Westerns in particular.

If you can get a hold of the DVD, there's a pretty interesting behind-the-scenes feature on it.

Costner comes off as a really cool dude with a lot of passion for filmmaking in general and Westerns in particular.
I want him and Eastwood to do one together. Unforgiven is still one of my favorite movies ever.

10 FUCKING HOURS?!

I've done marathons of the Dollars Trilogy, Josey Wales, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, and like Joe Kidd but that's over like.... 2-3 days and with a ton of piss breaks.

10 hours... jesus.

I imagine he'll break it up into parts. Either make it a trilogy, or possibly strike a deal to turn it into a 10-part series for HBO or something like that.

Back