ONE's 2017 financials

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meltzers Newsletter:

In 2017, ONE generated only $12,099,070 in total revenue based on very detailed business figures obtained by John Nash in an article in Bloody Elbow. But even that number is misleading because $7,845,564 is income from barter transactions, meaning they assign a revenue to it but the money is then expensed out with a similar money listed as expenses.

The actual major income sources for ONE last year were just $745,115 in live event ticket sales over the course of the year, or equivalent to one mid-level UFC Fight Night event. However, they draw 10,000 to 15,000 fans at shows on a regular basis, giving the impression they are a thriving promotion, meaning almost all the tickets are given away. Total sponsorship revenue for the year was $2,890,017. While they have television deals throughout Asia, the total revenue from all their television deals in 2017 was $593,261. Total merchandise sales were $72,547. PPV revenue was $52,965.

Its total money losses before taxes in 2017 was $25,039,536. And losses have grown each year, with losses of $7,427,857 in 2015, and $14,381,470 in 2016. Total losses since the company has formed are $67,583,925. Essentially this is the MMA version of TNA under Dixie Carter, with the lone difference being no history of TV ratings or live gates, but because it’s MMA, based in Asia, and not pro wrestling, people are still willing to invest huge money into it.

The key expenses are $7,856,380 in employee benefits, $2,910,506 in professional fees, $5,960,433 in event production and $11,030,990 in marketing expenses.

Meltzers Newsletter:

In 2017, ONE generated only $12,099,070 in total revenue based on very detailed business figures obtained by John Nash in an article in Bloody Elbow. But even that number is misleading because $7,845,564 is income from barter transactions, meaning they assign a revenue to it but the money is then expensed out with a similar money listed as expenses.

The actual major income sources for ONE last year were just $745,115 in live event ticket sales over the course of the year, or equivalent to one mid-level UFC Fight Night event. However, they draw 10,000 to 15,000 fans at shows on a regular basis, giving the impression they are a thriving promotion, meaning almost all the tickets are given away. Total sponsorship revenue for the year was $2,890,017. While they have television deals throughout Asia, the total revenue from all their television deals in 2017 was $593,261. Total merchandise sales were $72,547. PPV revenue was $52,965.

Its total money losses before taxes in 2017 was $25,039,536. And losses have grown each year, with losses of $7,427,857 in 2015, and $14,381,470 in 2016. Total losses since the company has formed are $67,583,925. Essentially this is the MMA version of TNA under Dixie Carter, with the lone difference being no history of TV ratings or live gates, but because it’s MMA, based in Asia, and not pro wrestling, people are still willing to invest huge money into it.

The key expenses are $7,856,380 in employee benefits, $2,910,506 in professional fees, $5,960,433 in event production and $11,030,990 in marketing expenses.

And they just signed two fighters with salaries AT LEAST $500K combined per fight....and want to put them into GP, thus pretty much promising them at least 2 fights in 2019 for each...

Last edited:
Pfft...why do they need income when they broadcast live to a potential viewership of 1.78 billion ?
They also dominated the world MMA awards 2018

456trillion Social media impressions!
99% of the world's World champions!
mma.boxingnewsnow.comimagesvc.timeincapp-1-800x600.com-aa2ee97aca155cb585c690f2fd9b37417cf0b76a

its not looking good for One Championship. many people myself included said One is just smoke and mirrors and these financials prove just that. could it be that these recent big name signings by ONE are one last effort to keep the company afloat?

its not looking good for One Championship. many people myself included said One is just smoke and mirrors and these financials prove just that. could it be that these recent big name signings by ONE are one last effort to keep the company afloat?

I doubt that anyone counts on MM and Eddie to be a company savers....
Even Northcutt...

theyre gonna go under int he next few years

i hope eddie, mouse, sage etc. all the guys that sign get as many fights as possible. if they signed 8-10 fight deals their is no way i see those guys fighting in ONE that many times and fighting out their contract. if things get worse they will only book each of them once a year like bellator has done before. so it might be a million guaranteed over 8-10 fights but ONE is prob gonna tank before those contracts are fullfilled. i bet those guys earn half of the contract and are cut loose

Oooof. That's rough! Sad to hear.

I knew they weren't doing crazy business, but didn't expect it was that bad.

They seem to be making a lot of aggressive moves though, maybe they can turn their fortunes around over the next few years. Obviously the UFC spent many years as a money pit.

As long as you have the venture capitalists fooled, you're gold baby!

One is already way deeper in the hole than Strikeforce or EliteXC was before going under. Still buisnesses are heavily investing in them and journalists are penning golden reviews in their honor. Fake it until you make it is the 2018 way.

Pfft...why do they need income when they broadcast live to a potential viewership of 1.78 billion ?
They also dominated the world MMA awards 2018

456trillion Social media impressions!
99% of the world's World champions!
mma.boxingnewsnow.comimagesvc.timeincapp-1-800x600.com-aa2ee97aca155cb585c690f2fd9b37417cf0b76a
<36>

lmao but I wanna see Sage and MM and Eddie fight on cable TV before it sinks

They'll be fine for at least 2-3 years or maybe more, depending on how much faster they're planning on throwing bags money into the fire.

$11,030,990 in marketing expenses.
buying Facebook views is expensive.

As long as you have the venture capitalists fooled, you're gold baby!

One is already way deeper in the hole than Strikeforce or EliteXC was before going under. Still buisnesses are heavily investing in them and journalists are penning golden reviews in their honor. Fake it until you make it is the 2018 way.
Was gonna say exactly this, they are truly faking it until they make it , they can do that as long as dumb money keeps flowing in from investors, there is a point where that ends though. That TNT deal could have saved them for maybe a few more years, that gives them real legitamacy , sets up for another round of people to burn their money by investing in them

So much for ONE’s CEO saying last week he wouldn’t sign McGregor because McGregor isn’t good for business. The reason he wouldn’t sign McGregor is because the organization couldn’t afford to! So much for ONE being the global competitor to the UFC...

I just don't understand why fans around the world can't understand that a majority of news about MMA orgs in that part of the world is largely embellished and always has been a smoke and mirror business.

Fans sit on Sherdog and other forums talking up One like they are some type of real player when the honest truth is they are struggling massively and are propped up by investors. Sure a few fighters will make some cash but it isn't going to last. Newsflash, investors expect returns on their investment and when they don't see them they cut their loses. Seems quite apparent that ONE has one hell of sales pitch to investors or they are literally washing money for people. Chances are a little of both.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just cause you got billions of people to sell your product to it doesn't mean there buying it. It's the biggest issue of why someone like the UFC has invested very little in the big picture to that part of the world. The business structure for MMA behind the scenes doesn't lead to massive pay days in that part of the world. Just look at One's TV deals, less than 600K. You can't make money over there in the traditional sense with MMA. The UFC could careless if 70 million tune in on avg per an event in China if they only get paid 1 million a year for it. They'd rather have 2 million tune in and make 50 million a year somewhere else. Look at the attendance revenue of ONE and its quiet apparent they either hand out tickets for free or a large majority of tickets are priced very cheaply. Sure large viewership may garner some nice sponsorship deals but apparently it doesn't attract enough money similar to TV to make it worth while in that part of the world.

Enjoy them while they are around but I think sooner than later ONE will be done.

Fans sit on Sherdog and other forums talking up One like they are some type of real player when the honest truth is they are struggling massively and are propped up by investors.

Reality is every org is struggling except UFC
But this year Bellator should show a profit, so that is good.

Its a tough situation.
To get top fighters, the other orgs need to out-bid UFC, but they don't have the finances to continue doing so without a better return.

Check out ONE's youtube channel where its so obvious they buy the majority of views.
The latest video has 28,652 views in 12 hours.... 1 comment... and 31 like/dislikes..

Reduce the amount of free tickets in countries where the stadiums are completely filled.
Reduce the amount of locals\cans signed from places like Indonesia\Myanmar\Malaysia.
Increase the amount of upcoming promising fighters and existing top tier fighters from places in the region like Japan\Korea\Australia - these are the countries with the audiences that are willing to spend money on PPVs.
Increase amount of proven local fighters from potential untapped hotbeds i.e. Team Lakay\China\ Kazakstan
Increase amount of fighters from Russia\USA\Brazil to increase international recognition.

Back