**One-way ticket to Mars, apply now!!**

I would never do this. But I think it will be fascinating to watch others. Its not entirely unlike what the early explorers of the earth undertook. I'm guessing most of them didn't expect to return either.

I was surprised it took that long. :)

Loving that avatar man.

first thing i thought of was arnies face in total recall.

haha thanks dude and yours as well. gotta love willow. did the actor who played willow die? if not he should be on GoT somehow...

What sort of time dilation is happening for such a trip? How fast can our ships go? I'd imagine the effect would be small since our ships are slow, right?

I just don't like the thought of taking a spacetrip that is like 2 weeks for me, but my whole family has lived their lives and died in those two weeks. It would be the saddest 2 weeks ever.

It would take anywhere from 1/2 to a full year to get there and the opportunity to go is only every 2 years.

u wot? 40% goddamn

Yeah I always used a condom OR the girl was on the pill, but as you know sometimes you make mistakes in life and just take a chance. Well a year or so ago I sat down and added up all the "mistakes" I've made when zero protection of any kind was used, and there were 9 times. I have 2 children now so obviously 2 of those 9 resulted in pregnancies. But my wife also had 2 miscarriages, for a total of 4 pregnancies out of 9 unprotected sexual encounters, or 44.4% hit rate for my swimmers. I reckon I could populate Mars as fast as anyone.

Bull!!Would you give up green fields,wonderful skies,etc for that bleak dystopia.
Not to mention there would be no infrastructure for hospital,education.
Too risky.

I would need sex, TV signals beamed from Earth/messages to-from my kids, a large area for exercise, More pieces flown in to give me something to look forward to, Games to play, books to read, and a lot of money for my kids at home.. If all those things could be met, send me, I'm in pretty good shape and be slothy and sit there for long periods without feeling too bad about it. Build a ship 1/5 of the Prometheus.

Bull!!Would you give up green fields,wonderful skies,etc for that bleak dystopia.
Not to mention there would be no infrastructure for hospital,education.
Too risky.

There are adventurous Anglophones out there who move to Mongolia to teach English every year, so yeah, there are people out there who would give up safety, peace, comfort, and scenery for a dangerous, bleak wasteland.

I would need sex, TV signals beamed from Earth/messages to-from my kids, a large area for exercise, More pieces flown in to give me something to look forward to, Games to play, books to read, and a lot of money for my kids at home.. If all those things could be met, send me, I'm in pretty good shape and be slothy and sit there for long periods without feeling too bad about it. Build a ship 1/5 of the Prometheus.

Books would be easy. E-reader with a couple of 32GB microSD cards filled to the brim would probably be more than enough to last even a voracious reader until his death.

Yeah I always used a condom OR the girl was on the pill, but as you know sometimes you make mistakes in life and just take a chance. Well a year or so ago I sat down and added up all the "mistakes" I've made when zero protection of any kind was used, and there were 9 times. I have 2 children now so obviously 2 of those 9 resulted in pregnancies. But my wife also had 2 miscarriages, for a total of 4 pregnancies out of 9 unprotected sexual encounters, or 44.4% hit rate for my swimmers. I reckon I could populate Mars as fast as anyone.

damn dude, your av makes a lot more sense now. you have the fedors of gametes

^ Now that's smart marketing. Actually 2 guys and 3 girls could get very interesting. IF you're gonna have to look at someone for the rest of your lives, they better be one hell of a looker. Why not do this on the moon first, I wonder?

That seems way more logical, but either way it's completely outlandish. A 10 year broadcast? Nobody has even really tried to colonize any planet yet these guys are already talking about reality shows on other planets. Pretty crazy and awesome too.

I'd go. We could probably be able to communicate with Earth, access the internet via satellites, hell, we'd probably get to the same films, they'd just take longer to get there (kind of like China...). I'd get to set foot on a new planet, hang out for a while, and shoot myself out of an airlock when I become ill in an effort to save the lives of the crew...it'd be pretty entertaining at least.

Books would be easy. E-reader with a couple of 32GB microSD cards filled to the brim would probably be more than enough to last even a voracious reader until his death.

I would need some actual books. I don't read books off large iphones even now, it just seems really bad for you in some way. I'm not thee most voracious reader, tbh. I would need maybe 200 books, I can read the same book 2-3 times, and go on 6 month kicks where I don't read anything but magazines or newspapers.

As much as it would be great to be known as the first person on Mars, I would hate the rest of my life.

first thing i thought of was arnies face in total recall.

haha thanks dude and yours as well. gotta love willow. did the actor who played willow die? if not he should be on GoT somehow...

No man. He is alive and doing well. Funny you say that because HBO did an April Fools joke saying he was taking over for Peter Dinklage.

If you want to see him, he is in this show, really good stuff.

It's called Life's Too Short.
HILARIOUS stuff.

I would need some actual books. I don't read books off large iphones even now, it just seems really bad for you in some way. I'm not thee most voracious reader, tbh. I would need maybe 200 books, I can read the same book 2-3 times, and go on 6 month kicks where I don't read anything but magazines or newspapers.

I used to feel the same way, was militantly anti-e-reader. A bit of a Luddite, really. But I got one for Christmas last year, and I love it. Very comfortable to hold, no eye strain, and ridiculously convenient. I'm a convert.

I used to feel the same way, was militantly anti-e-reader. A bit of a Luddite, really. But I got one for Christmas last year, and I love it. Very comfortable to hold, no eye strain, and ridiculously convenient. I'm a convert.

Especially if you're reading at night. I used to read from 12 am to like 3 am in my ed with the lights off. I set the brightness to the lowest setting and it was good to go!

On topic: This is pretty cool, but I don't think I could do it lol. Maybe after something was set up, I would consider it for sure

Specially when traveling. Who wants to lug around a bunch of books when I can have thousands of them stored on a tiny device?

Won't happen cause snuff films are illegal. You can't send people to a place without doctors, food, water so people can turn on the tv and watch them die. Sounds like they just want viewers for the competition and probably don't even plan to actually send anyone cause anyone willing to go is imbalanced at best.
They're going to set up stringent psychiatric assessments for everyone applying but I get your point. I wouldn't be up for it because aside from from not really liking the heightened cancer risk I'd miss my friends and loved ones too much, and all the obvious stuff that earth has to offer but people would probably have their reasons.g
As much as it would be great to be known as the first person on Mars, I would hate the rest of my life.
You'd have no one to brag to, which would suck.

Back