One thing that make Dj more special than other goats

Given that DJ's looked twice as good in every rematch he's been in so far, and given that he's improved over the last 7 years since, yes it's only reasonable to think he'd do better in a Cruz rematch.

In terms of who I'd favor? Yeah probably DJ. Though I'd love to see it happen.
Do you think he could prevent Cruz from taking him to the ground? Do you know how many times he couldn't prevent Cruz from doing that in their fight? Also, Cruz has gotten better too.

He went 14-2 at Bantamweight and defeated Cruz in the stand-up while training only twice per week while working a full time factory job. Dillashaw didn't win the stand up against an injured Cruz, meanwhile DJ did it against an injury-free Cruz who was in his prime.
I meant like lightweight minimum. Would be an interesting experiment.

No matter how you guys slice it, Fedor doesn't have the list of killers that Jones, GSP, or Andy have on their records. If anything, Fedor and DJ are incredibly similar in terms of quality of competition and dominance yet, one is revered while the other is mocked.......
Dj is incredible but who is gonna put his lights out in one shot? Fedor’s reign at heavyweight was far more impressive. Many of these “cans” Fedor fought had a huge size advantage and could KO someone with one punch. Everyone talks shit about the Zulu fight when Zulu was 5-0 (all knockouts) 6’7” 390lbs and son of a Vale Tudo legend. DJ won’t go up to 135 to fight anyone.

Dj is incredible but who is gonna put his lights out in one shot? Fedor’s reign at heavyweight was far more impressive. Many of these “cans” Fedor fought had a huge size advantage and could KO someone with one punch. Everyone talks shit about the Zulu fight when Zulu was 5-0 (all knockouts) 6’7” 390lbs and son of a Vale Tudo legend. DJ won’t go up to 135 to fight anyone.
Damn

Great insight. Very true about Zulu

Something oddly similar about Anderson and Johnson is both of their more credible opponents had this moment

tenor.gif

When they purposely planned to fight in the clinch only to discover it may be their opponent's best position.

asilvafinfranklin_medium.gif

He went 14-2 at Bantamweight and defeated Cruz in the stand-up while training only twice per week while working a full time factory job. Dillashaw didn't win the stand up against an injured Cruz, meanwhile DJ did it against an injury-free Cruz who was in his prime.
I wouldn't say he won in the standup. it was virtually identical. He had more volume, but wasn't as accurate.
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/e2433610f128d963

No matter how you guys slice it, Fedor doesn't have the list of killers that Jones, GSP, or Andy have on their records. If anything, Fedor and DJ are incredibly similar in terms of quality of competition and dominance yet, one is revered while the other is mocked.......
White belt spitting facts<mma4><{natewhut}>

DJ is incredible. He started out in the public eye looking good but fallible like most other men. He then got better and better and better. Now he looks more unbeatable at his weight than most other dominant champs in history.

He will never receive the same level of public praise as the bigger men despite all this. He also hasn’t yet to prove his skills against larger men where some other GOAT contenders have. That’s not a reason to discount him but people will use that to boost others GOAT candidates.

Fedor’s reign was awesome because he was the baddest man for 10 years. Smaller men have been more skilled but few have dominated the most dangerous division like Fedor. DJ may be the most skilled of any GOAT contender but he hasn’t risked as much and that is often held against him.

We generally crap on heavyweight for poor technique but we have so few examples of more skilled lighter fighters stepping up and making big waves.

Do you think he could prevent Cruz from taking him to the ground? Do you know how many times he couldn't prevent Cruz from doing that in their fight? Also, Cruz has gotten better too.

I still think Cruz's size and takedowns would be a challenge for DJ, and I could still see MM being taken down a few times. Nonetheless, I think DJ would pull out a decision. I just see Cruz being given less opportunities for takedowns, and could see him getting punished more as he's forced to work harder to make it his kind of fight. Cruz has gotten better, but I don't believe he's made the same strides DJ has.

Something oddly similar about Anderson and Johnson is both of their more credible opponents had this moment. When they purposely planned to fight in the clinch only to discover it may be their opponent's best position.

asilvafinfranklin_medium.gif

Both similarly incredible performances. I do remember Cejudo stated after the bout that he thought the clinch would be a position that favors him.

Josh Samman also had a great muay thai clinch performance too.

Last edited:
More importantly his level of competition is vastly inferior to the other GOATs.

It's crazy that people constantly question DJ's goat status, but excuse fedor's 10 year reign of mostly crushing japanese cans.
He ruled the Pride HW division which was at the time the premier HW division. Yes some cans were thrown in but unlike DJ Fedor didn't make a name off beating predominantly lower tier fighters.

Dj is incredible but who is gonna put his lights out in one shot?

I mean Kyoji Horiguchi is putting everyone's lights out despite them being a division bigger then him. That guy is a crazy fun to watch and should soon enough be seen as a Japanese great.

giphy.gif

But I mean lots of his opponents though, Ali Bagautinov was clearing guys in 25 seconds before the DJ fight. John Dodson is known to knock out fighters. Even John Moraga and Henry Cejudo recently had great KO's.

giphy.gif

The threat is there, even if it's not the same as at heavyweight (obviously). But DJ has to deal with things heavyweights don't as well.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but he beats guys that won't ever be mentioned by anyone in 10 years.

Fedor Anderson GSP Aldo etc have legendary fights on their records. If DJ dominates TJ I'll give it to him. Until then, no fucking way

Back