One thing that always bugged me about GoT series one (GoT brahs get in here) *SPOILERS*

I'd say really the intension of the story is that Littlefinger loses because in the end he cares about power more than Sansa
Nonsense. The entire first season/book Sansa is obsessed with power and becoming a queen/princess. She is so blinded by this that she refuses to even see Joffrey for the monster that he is. She betrays Arya and Ned in her pursuit of power, and never redeems herself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only Sansa ending that would be fitting is if she dies giving birth to Ramsay's son.

TS must have missed the Chaos is a Ladder speech.

Simply betraying Ned to the Lannisters doesn’t get him anywhere. Plunging the Kingdom in another civil war opens opportunities for him to continue his ascent.

if you read the books you'd know his primary motivation was to destroy Ned for "stealing" his beloved Catelyn. His love for her made him act irrationally.

I didn't even read the books but I assumed he made this bad decision because of his irrational love for Catelyn. I always thought the Lannisters winning that war was one of the biggest plot armor story lines I've ever seen. GOT has a lot of that though so nothing to out of ordinary.

I'm almost done with rewatching "It's always sunny in Philadelphia". Soon as I'm done I'm hoping into GOT to rewatch them all.

I don’t read much, but I encourage anyone who likes the series to read the books, it’s a beautiful experience (I know it sounds corny, but I don’t know how else to describe it)
This, as good as the show is, thee books are ten thousand times better. No bullshit hipster dan and Dave with retarded plotlines. Before the show came out I used to reread them every fall and was on the westeros website much more than sherdog

The “gold mines running dry” is show only, and was added to the story way after Baelish’s betrayal of Eddard. Not only that, Littlefinger was the Master of Coin for King Robert. He would not have had knowledge of Tywins financial situation, other than the crown was in debt to the Lannisters for borrowing huge amounts of gold from Tywin to fund King Roberts lavish spending.

You’re right, I just love that character and hated that they wrote him off killing Shireen
They really shit the bed with Stannis. Truly one of the more interesting and tragic main characters in the story.

They really shit the bed with Stannis. Truly one of the more interesting and tragic main characters in the story.
I couldn’t sleep that night, I felt a connection to that character, his intentions and the way he’s misunderstood, they fucked that character

That whole season shit the bed.

Others covered it. He had money and connections but was still low status, so didn't really have much power at the start of the show. He wanted to cause as much chaos as possible, constantly playing both sides, so he could rise in power. He knew none of the resulting chaos would effect him personally. Very close to how many world leaders and the military industrial complex see war IRL. Doesn't matter if millions die if you don't give a shit about those people. And just like IRL, people don't expect that level of callousness and it lets you get away with things you probably shouldn't be able to.

Honestly it probably should have been Baelish or the white walkers on the throne at the end, but once they ran out of material from the books they decided to have him turn into an idiot.

I don’t read much, but I encourage anyone who likes the series to read the books, it’s a beautiful experience (I know it sounds corny, but I don’t know how else to describe it)
I read when I have the chance. But everytime I open a new book, I always find myself eyeing the ASOIAF series on the shelf. I’m not trying to convince anyone else that it’s the greatest book series ever written. But for me personally, I enjoy it far more than any other story I’ve ever read. Nothing has come close to being as captivating.

OK, OK I get the 'chaos is a ladder thing' but it's still a stretch if you ask me. Littlefinger might've served his own interests but in the process of betraying Ned he chose a side and that side was the weakest one militarily to choose, it makes no sense. Say Stannis or Renly had marched on the capital and taken it, which was a plausible scenario at the time, you think nobody might've mentioned that Littlefinger was instrumental in the plot to keep a Baratheon bro off the throne?

Stannis/Renly/Robb would've likely arrested and tortured anyone involved in the whole situation and got the truth out of them. Hell, Varys would've probably volunteered the information to get Baelish out of the way. There's also the chance that if Stannis or Renly (Robb was too far away at this point) had marched on the capital right away, Ned would've been still alive and the Lannisters would've been forced to ransom him to buy time, at which point he would've been all 'It was that Baelish motherfucker who did me like that'.

So yeah I get that Littlefinger's aim is to spread chaos, I completely get the WHY but looking at it objectively with all the possible scenarios that could've came out of it he made a REALLY dumb strategic decision to betray Ned and it's only GoT being GoT that let him get away with it. this is completely at odds with the portrayal of him as an amoral scheming pragmatist. In real life having such overwhelming odds against you in terms of numbers and resources (Tyrells, Dorne, North, both Baratheons, Riverlands, etc against just the Lannisters) is suicide. Half of the trouble of war is trying to convince others to do it with you and the Lannisters were getting bodied on this front until the magic of fiction helped them out.

He wanted the country to descend into war to increase his stature and to gain a measure of revenge on the Stark men due to him getting swordwhipped when he tried to duel for Catelyn.

Yes, everyone hated the Lannisters, but there was an uneasy loyalty to the crown, especially so closely after the overthrow of the Targaryens. Teaming with anyone else would have labled him a usurper and basically led to him getting executed for being a traitor.

And the Lannisters had the P4P best army due to being perceived as insanely richer than everyone else.

And as for the game of thrones. Ned was bad at it, Stannis didn't play it, and Renly had no battle experience. Littlefinger was much more comfortable in the den of lions, with an ace up his sleeve in the form of The Vale.

And all he had to do was to dip it in crazy...

OK, OK I get the 'chaos is a ladder thing' but it's still a stretch if you ask me. Littlefinger might've served his own interests but in the process of betraying Ned he chose a side and that side was the weakest one militarily to choose, it makes no sense. Say Stannis or Renly had marched on the capital and taken it, which was a plausible scenario at the time, you think nobody might've mentioned that Littlefinger was instrumental in the plot to keep a Baratheon bro off the throne?

Stannis/Renly/Robb would've likely arrested and tortured anyone involved in the whole situation and got the truth out of them. Hell, Varys would've probably volunteered the information to get Baelish out of the way. There's also the chance that if Stannis or Renly (Robb was too far away at this point) had marched on the capital right away, Ned would've been still alive and the Lannisters would've been forced to ransom him to buy time, at which point he would've been all 'It was that Baelish motherfucker who did me like that'.

So yeah I get that Littlefinger's aim is to spread chaos, I completely get the WHY but looking at it objectively with all the possible scenarios that could've came out of it he made a REALLY dumb strategic decision to betray Ned and it's only GoT being GoT that let him get away with it. this is completely at odds with the portrayal of him as an amoral scheming pragmatist. In real life having such overwhelming odds against you in terms of numbers and resources (Tyrells, Dorne, North, both Baratheons, Riverlands, etc against just the Lannisters) is suicide. Half of the trouble of war is trying to convince others to do it with you and the Lannisters were getting bodied on this front until the magic of fiction helped them out.
You're still overlooking imo that guys like Renly and Stannis wouldn't have worked with Baelish. The Lannisters were greasy, and would work with anyone to maintain power. He trusted that win or lose they could use their resources to drag out a long bloody war, during which other houses were weakened and he had a chance to hop around gaining power, and exploiting people forced to work with him because they were desparate.

Nonsense. The entire first season/book Sansa is obsessed with power and becoming a queen/princess. She is so blinded by this that she refuses to even see Joffrey for the monster that he is. She betrays Arya and Ned in her pursuit of power, and never redeems herself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only Sansa ending that would be fitting is if she dies giving birth to Ramsay's son.

Not really seeing how that relates to my point, Littlefinger attempting to manipulate Sansa clearly does cause his downfall regardless of your opinion on her character.

As far as that goes I would say she's shown as a young girl living a naïve princess fantasy unsuited for dealing with the reality of her situation, nothing like Littlefingers cynical nature. After that she story is basically that of someone being tormented to such excess that it makes the potential of her becoming a self manipulator on Littlefingers level seem potentially possible before she ultimately rejects him.

This, as good as the show is, thee books are ten thousand times better. No bullshit hipster dan and Dave with retarded plotlines. Before the show came out I used to reread them every fall and was on the westeros website much more than sherdog
Nah. Books 1-3 are a masterpiece. Books 4-5 feel like GRRM tried to make the story even more complicated, bit off more than he could chew, and now it's virtually impossible to resolve everything.

Nah. Books 1-3 are a masterpiece. Books 4-5 feel like GRRM tried to make the story even more complicated, bit off more than he could chew, and now it's virtually impossible to resolve everything.

Nothing is that complicated. Everything is possible to solve.
Actually some stuff in 4-5 explains hints in earlier books.

TV series, on the other hand, become utterly idiotic.

if you read the books you'd know his primary motivation was to destroy Ned for "stealing" his beloved Catelyn. His love for her made him act irrationally.

/end thread

It was about the woman he lost to the guy he hated.

He was made Lord of Harrenhall for it.

Back