one sided lower back pain when i squat

mapls

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys so today i decided to work out legs today and when I squat my left lower back started to have a pulling type of pain.I got back to my office and used a lacrosse ball on my glutes and QL. I still feel a tight pulling on my left lower back/ glute area. Any suggestions to help fix this?

Find somebody to check your form (and/or post a video online).

Could be glutes, psoas, hip flexors..... see a physio

You may be doing it wrong, always follow Frank's advice:

Like @LatFlare suggested the hip flexors. This was the first thing that popped up in my head..

If you happen to have an office job where you're sat down for most of the day then you should probably do some mobility work to loosen up.

This one worked wonders for my lower back pain.
flex-those-flexors-3-steps-to-powerful-hips_b.jpg

thanks I will definitely try this out today at the gym.
While stretching out the hip flexors are usually a good thing(if you are sitting a lot during the day and have been for years they are likely tight), the root cause of your pain can be something else entirely. It's most likely something minor that will pass, or a functional imbalance, but it could be something else as well.

There is no way of knowing without an assessment. What you can do yourself, record your squat as miauo suggested, perhaps upload it here. If you can record if from different angles that would be nice, but from the back is probably the most important. Look at your form, see if you are going down equally on both sides and not leaning to either or rotating in your hips.

Please do keep up rolling out tight areas with the lacrosse ball, and incorperating the hip flexor stretches. as suggested. Remember the proper warmup and if you don't have a serious history of lower back pain you could add some hip and spine mobility as a part of your warmup, and perhaps hamstring and glute stretches. Just keep it basic. See if the pain persists, with these things in mind.

If the pain does not significantly subside or go away after a while, after making sure form is good and all, you might have some kind of imbalance that needs to be adressed. If the pain increases and gets worse after a while, stop and go see a physio.

Too many variables, not enough info. Your back could be weak, restricted in mobility, could be a ligament in the pelvis, radiculopathy, etc.

Please go see someone qualified. If it doesn't get resolved, see another practitioner.

Like @LatFlare suggested the hip flexors. This was the first thing that popped up in my head..

If you happen to have an office job where you're sat down for most of the day then you should probably do some mobility work to loosen up.

This one worked wonders for my lower back pain.
flex-those-flexors-3-steps-to-powerful-hips_b.jpg

I like this when its done properly; back in neutral and contracting the glutes to increase reciprocal inhibition of the hip flexors.

Had a similar pain last fall. Turns out I strained a muscle. Took a week off from squats and deadlifts. Good as new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back