One pair of gloves for everything

There is definitely value to what @dembones22 and @hangulmalmotayo are saying about mitts and building wrist strength.

That being said, I started using bag mitts w/o hand wraps and sprained my wrist pretty badly. I was punching a really uneven heavybag, and I was showing off a little bit because there was a bit of a crowd. Kept punching with the other hand, but I was in shock.

Bag mitts are a cheap option, but I don't really recommend any mainstream pair of bag mitts.

Can you guys explain to me your love for leather? Is it a genuine love for cowhide and the comfort it provides or just opposition to the cheaper fabrics used by manufacturers? I know there are a lot of synthetic materials around that outperform animal skin and steel by 100 times, but they are also more expensive than leather. Would you guys buy synthetic gloves if they were produced with quality material instead of the cheaper materials currently in use.

@brucelee
What are all these synthetic materials that outperform leather? With boxing gloves I know of Vinyl, PU and Micro Fiber materials to be used.

Imo part reason because leather is that prominent is that synthetic always sucked big time regarding longevity and breathability (Vinyl, PU). Especially the breathability is my reason why I would never buy a cheap glove.

So the high level models only had leather until recently. Now with Micro Fiber (Fairtex BGV14, Rival) that is slowly changing. I was very interested to try out a Rival RS100 f.e. but this brand is exceptionally expensive in my country. From many accounts Microfiber challenges leather in being equally suited for gloves.

I do think Microfiber will continue to win market share in high level boxing gloves. But leather just feels good and has all this rich history with boxing gloves. Its a little like jackets. There are far more breathable and more efficient synthetic jackets out there nowadays than leather but people just love them despite that. Just feels natural.

what do you mean outperforms? It is, and always has been always about the feel for me. I've owned many winning synthetic leather products including gloves, and they definitely don't feel like leather feels. I've also had the hayabusa stuff, and was not a fan of the feel of the product either.

when I use leather gloves they feel like an extension of my hands. call it cheesy, but there will always be those that prefer leather over the synthetic stuff. even the winning headgear and groin guards, though light, feel like they're just hanging off my body.

I guarantee you, any company out there that has been making any sort of switch to synthetic leather has done so because it it cheaper to do so.

It is sad, but true. Commoditization is driving the market. They don't care about research or safety of fighters at all.

If you look at the outdoor, biking and work uniform sector you will see a lot of new fabrics being functionally better and stronger than leather and linen. Just look at the uniforms soldiers are wearing these days ... much lighter and more durable. Some of that stuff can be used for boxing gloves. I am sure you can make boxing gloves in better designs and with better wrist support using such materials. Maybe I should give it a try and design my own gloves.

I guarantee you, any company out there that has been making any sort of switch to synthetic leather has done so because it it cheaper to do so.

If I had to choose a pair of gloves for everything I would choose Fairtex bgv1’s

Since I still have my left glove for sparring, I'm thinking about getting a cheap, right glove only. My left is a custom order from top boxer, 16oz, lace up that I use a velcro converter with.

Is this 14oz right side glove a bad idea?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172384721820

No bro, just go with one glove, I'm talkin' UFC 1 style.

I only have 1 pair of sparing gloves. Use them for a lot of pad work, and a little bag work. Don't work on the bag a ton.

I do have like 3 pairs of handwraps. They smell up so fast it seems like they're always in the wash.

No bro, just go with one glove, I'm talkin' UFC 1 style.

I only have 1 pair of sparing gloves. Use them for a lot of pad work, and a little bag work. Don't work on the bag a ton.

I do have like 3 pairs of handwraps. They smell up so fast it seems like they're always in the wash.
Lol, I remember that
ufc-1-the-beginning-8211-highlights.jpg

Whatever.

Go punch some lockers at school while you're at it hahahaha

Probably less likely to damage your hand hitting a school locker than you are hitting a heavybag...

It ain't terrible initially, because at the end of the day, you can only do what you can do.

I used the same pair for everything for about 18 months. That's usually about the max most people go. Eventually you become the guy who has the padded compressed in their glove. When I saw a good deal on a new pair of sparring gloves, I got them and only used my old pair for pads and bag.

I can't comment on Winning (too rich for my blood) but eventually normal wear and tear will break them down.

Hey man, I'm just like you.. I actually had three pairs of gloves but noticed I used my favorite pair more than all of the others ones. I know some people say you should have a pair of gloves for sparring, one for heavy bag training, one for competing (blah blah blah). Turns out I only used my Fairtex gloves for everything.. and once those were beat to hell I went online to search for my next 'all-around' pair. I found a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves I liked, however I was super close to saying f it and blowing money on Winning.
I would take a look at https://themmaguru.com/boxing-glove-guide/ this article helped me realize I only needed one pair, but also gave me many alternatives.

Hey man, I'm just like you.. I actually had three pairs of gloves but noticed I used my favorite pair more than all of the others ones. I know some people say you should have a pair of gloves for sparring, one for heavy bag training, one for competing (blah blah blah). Turns out I only used my Fairtex gloves for everything.. and once those were beat to hell I went online to search for my next 'all-around' pair. I found a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves I liked, however I was super close to saying f it and blowing money on Winning.
I would take a look at https://themmaguru.com/boxing-glove-guide/ this article helped me realize I only needed one pair, but also gave me many alternatives.

So you are the MMA Guru....

BUT MMAGURU! You've already owned and used Winning gloves and posted them as your choice for the best sparring glove in the world!
https://themmaguru.com/best-boxing-gloves-for-sparring/

Seriously you're not doing yourself any favors by posting and commenting that your own articles really helped you out.

@Woldog
Anthdeg = MMAGURU ?

I dont really get people only using one pair of gloves for everything. Even with several pairs its not an expensive sport at all and you have the sparring gloves much longer. Its not only to protect the padding for sparring but that
sparring gloves dont get tears as fast. Not really enjoyable to get a cut from a damaged glove. I know there are still quite some people who do that but if I am not desperate I avoid sparring with them.
Mostly they have one cheap pair of gloves. Its imo a form of respect to use proper gear in sparring.

BUT MMAGURU! You've already owned and used Winning gloves and posted them as your choice for the best sparring glove in the world!
https://themmaguru.com/best-boxing-gloves-for-sparring/

Seriously you're not doing yourself any favors by posting and commenting that your own articles really helped you out.

I never claimed to have "owned" winning gloves.. I've used them multiple times, enough to realize there is a clear quality difference between them and other gloves. I don't understand why you have such a problem with me commenting on someones post giving them advice AND a link for more advice if they so choose it. I know a good amount about equipment and gear, at least enough to be giving my take on it. I'm not as experienced as you but does that mean I can't write things online and help others?

I never claimed to have "owned" winning gloves.. I've used them multiple times, enough to realize there is a clear quality difference between them and other gloves. I don't understand why you have such a problem with me commenting on someones post giving them advice AND a link for more advice if they so choose it. I know a good amount about equipment and gear, at least enough to be giving my take on it. I'm not as experienced as you but does that mean I can't write things online and help others?
I think the main issue is your reference to the linked article as if it was written by not-you.

1. Did you write the article?
2. If you did, then you should say so instead of giving the pretense that it was an article written by someone else. Otherwise people might think you have ulterior motives beyond helping people out.

I think the main issue is your reference to the linked article as if it was written by not-you.

1. Did you write the article?
2. If you did, then you should say so instead of giving the pretense that it was an article written by someone else. Otherwise people might think you have ulterior motives beyond helping people out.
You're right, I apologize to anyone I might've pissed off and it won't happen again.

You're right, I apologize to anyone I might've pissed off and it won't happen again.
Not a big deal. It's just annoying when it happens.

But this is just an internet forum so don't take it too seriously.

Not a big deal. It's just annoying when it happens.

But this is just an internet forum so don't take it too seriously.

He did hide his advertising deliberately so I get why people are annoyed.

Just read his posts like :
All of these aren't bad options.. I don't prefer top king but I know they aren't the worst gear in the world. I personally use a good amount of Fairtex (shin guards, headgear, etc..) and they have went above and beyond. Although I don't have much to compare to I still think the Fairtex brand is one of the best when it comes to good muay thai gear and equipment.
https://themmaguru.com/best-muay-thai-gear-equipment/ I actually was convinced through this article that there is a big difference between the top brands (such as: twins, fairtex, topking, etc).. I learned a lot from it and before you buy I would highly recommend reading all of that.
and:

so he convinced himself by reading his own article :rolleyes:. Imo he just uses Sherdog to advertise for his site in a not so clever way.

or:

Gives you tons of recommendations, depending on the heavy bag you're looking for.. I personally purchased the outslayer bag (i like it but it's kinda heavy)..

He purchases 1 of 10 heavybags, writes a review about 10 heavybags and afterwards recommends the article and makes it look like he purchased the best one because of it (which is also the only one he has). Kind of a flawed review style.

Back