One of the most underrated upset victory in 2016

two minorities fighting, yet ppl still called racist for picking a favorite?

two minorities fighting, yet ppl still called racist for picking a favorite?
A lot of people probably just think of Robbie as white considering his name is Robbie Lawler.

It wasn't an upset but it was definitely racist to see people wowing at Woodley's explosive power and talking about how Lawler just has to survive the first rounds so Woodley would gas out. Like WTF?
Far from an upset. Robbie was very active before and worn down. Tyron was fresh and hungry from a long layoff. Great timing for tyron.
Weren't the odds about even?
Odds were definitely too close to call it any kind of an upset. I was surprised at the outcome, but that was only because of how quickly and the manner it was finished.

All I know is with GSP back in the fold, Woodley and Wonderboy have a lot more to fight for this time around.

Im not talking about Vegas odds because they always bullshitting. Im talking from the fans eyes.

I picked Woodley to win, and i got in alot of arguments in here because of that. Even to the point where i started to doubt my pick. Yeah im in here alot lol. People really didnt give Tyron any kind of shot to win this fight. More so than ever before. The majority (atleast in here and Reddit) picked Robbie to whoop that ass.

If we're gonna rate it in Sherdog points i say 80% had it for Lawler and 20% picked Woodley.

Edit: Now i did some research on all of ya'll so far in this thread saying this wasn't an upset, some of you picked Lawler HEAVILY. So whattup?

Last edited:
Im not talking about Vegas odds because they always bullshitting. Im talking from the fans eyes.

I picked Woodley to win, and i got in alot of arguments in here because of that. Even to the point where i started to doubt my pick. Yeah im in here alot lol. People really didnt give Tyron any kind of shot to win this fight. More so than ever before. The majority (atleast in here and Reddit) picked Robbie to whoop that ass.

If we're gonna rate it in Sherdog points i say 80% had it for Lawler and 20% picked Woodley.

Edit: Now i did some nerdy ass research on all of ya'll saying this wasn't an upset, some of you picked Lawler. So whattup?

If I pick Khabib and Tony wins that doesn't make an upset. People know Woodley's powers are real and they were banking on Lawler toughing it out in the earlier rounds. He didn't, but that wasn't an upset.

Bisping KTFO Rockhold was an upset since very few people expected him to finish or finish that way.

If I pick Khabib and Tony wins that doesn't make an upset. People know Woodley's powers are real and they were banking on Lawler toughing it out in the earlier rounds. He didn't, but that wasn't an upset.

Bisping KTFO Rockhold was an upset since very few people expected him to finish or finish that
way.

If a majority of people pick a fighter to win (a big majority btw) and that fighter loses, then it's an upset. I don't know if you remember but the general concesus was that Lawler was winning this one easily.

Bisping knocking Rockhold dead was a big fucking upset. That was unbelievable. That's why this Lawler/Woodley is overshadowed.

It's easy to look at at things in hindsight but please, historical context my bruddah.

Oh and um Um Khabib/Tony is 50/50.

If a majority of people pick a fighter to win (a big majority btw) and that fighter loses, then it's an upset. I don't know if you remember but the general concesus was that Lawler was winning this one easily.

Bisping knocking Rockhold dead was a big fucking upset. That was unbelievable. That's why this Lawler/Woodley is overshadowed.

It's easy to look at at things in hindsight but please, historical context my bruddah.

Oh and um Um Khabib/Tony is 50/50.

You gotta also consider there is a lot of love for Lawler and a lot of dislike for Woodley here on Sherdog. A lot of folks in those categories were betting with their hearts. But realistically, people knew coming in that Robbie had nothing but all out wars in his previous few fights and figured inevitably he wasn't going to keep it going.

I still stand by the surprise being in how long the fight lasted, but categorically not an upset.

He's half Filipino and half Irish I think...

His name is Robert Glenn Lawler though...

Could be why...
I know he is half Filipino but when I hear the name "Robbie Lawler", kind of like when I hear "Liam McGreary"... yeah. lol

The picks can be random since MMA is wild to predict. It wasn't shocking Tyron could hit a guy like Robbie who tends to be clipped. Also not surprising if Robbie toughed it out and started unloading on a gassed out Tyron in the later rounds.

So I don't get the controversy, if there is any.

Edit: Now i did some research on all of ya'll so far in this thread saying this wasn't an upset, some of you picked Lawler HEAVILY. So whattup?
Trying to revision history. 90%+ of people on Sherdog picked Robbie to win pretty easy for various reasons.

I caught big flack for choosing Woodley over Robbie (and over WB).

The picks can be random since MMA is wild to predict. It wasn't shocking Tyron could hit a guy like Robbie who tends to be clipped. Also not surprising if Robbie toughed it out and started unloading on a gassed out Tyron in the later rounds.

So I don't get the controversy, if there is any.
No controversy. Just that a whole lot of people didn't believe Woodley would win this fight.

I picked Lawler to win but stated before that I wouldn't be surprised if Woodley won by early KO.

Back