One of the biggest upsets in Olympic History

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just some random trivia,

Was when Helen Maroulis defeated Saori Yoshida to claim the olympic gold medal in 2016 Olympic games and become the first female to win an olympic gold medal in wrestling.

upload_2018-2-8_13-45-4.png

This is Saori Yoshida's accomplishments, it's pretty fucking insane and dominant. Pretty much Aleksandr Karellin of female wrestling. kaori icho her 63 kg japan counterpart is very similar only she won the 2016 medal at 58 kg.

Saori's accomplishments
upload_2018-2-8_13-40-34.png

She won three straight olympics, from 2002-2015 won all world championships (didn't compete in 2004)
and 4 straight asian games. She was a beast at wrestling.

Anyway i felt like no one knew how big this was and this being a combat sports site felt sherdoggers need to know this as i am sure this girl will eventually transition her way into MMA ala Kayla Harrison.

Highlights of Saori:

Last edited:
How is this UFC disscusion?

Edit: Wrestling will soon be removed from olimpic games.

bro moderators, you should have moved this towards at least worldwide mma discussion, no one reads threads unless its in ufc discussion, and the reason i made this is because this girl is most likely to transition to mma and probably be a part of ufc one day, u moving it to a wasteland forum like the training/ grappling discussion (let's be honest) prevents sherdoggers from seeing a pretty cool story, my goal was to show fellow sherdoggers a new potential in the MMA game by bringing up history of the fact that this was one of the biggest upsets ever

Last edited:
1976-0730-Bruce-Jenner-wife-Chrystie-Decathlon-080099039.jpg

bruce-jenner-reuters.jpg

bro moderators, you should have moved this towards at least worldwide mma discussion, no one reads threads unless its in ufc discussion, and the reason i made this is because this girl is most likely to transition to mma and probably be a part of ufc one day, u moving it to a wasteland forum like the training/ grappling discussion (let's be honest) prevents sherdoggers from seeing a pretty cool story, my goal was to show fellow sherdoggers a new potential in the MMA game by bringing up history of the fact that this was one of the biggest upsets ever

I go to Muay Thai and kb disscusion everyday

Just some random trivia,

Was when Helen Maroulis defeated Saori Yoshida to claim the olympic gold medal in 2016 Olympic games and become the first female to win an olympic gold medal in wrestling.

View attachment 336301

This is Saori Yoshida's accomplishments, it's pretty fucking insane and dominant. Pretty much Aleksandr Karellin of female wrestling. kaori icho her 63 kg japan counterpart is very similar only she won the 2016 medal at 58 kg.

Saori's accomplishments
View attachment 336295

She won three straight olympics, from 2002-2015 won all world championships (didn't compete in 2004)
and 4 straight asian games. She was a beast at wrestling.

Anyway i felt like no one knew how big this was and this being a combat sports site felt sherdoggers need to know this as i am sure this girl will eventually transition her way into MMA ala Kayla Harrison.

Highlights of Saori:

Going into the 2016 Olympics Yoshida was only a -200 favorite to win the gold: http://www.gambling911.com/olympics...ng-men-s-women-s-freestyle-betting-odds-.html

Maroulis was only a +600 underdog to win the gold.

Biggest upset my ass. Thread fail.

Going into the 2016 Olympics Yoshida was only a -200 favorite to win the gold: http://www.gambling911.com/olympics...ng-men-s-women-s-freestyle-betting-odds-.html

Dafaq bro
  • Namajunas was +285 for JJ fight
  • Michael Bisping +600 for rockhold
smh bro, also not many people know about this, fuck sake u bring out odds makers to validate your opinion wtf, most of sherdog had Holm beating Rousey which was + 825 on odds makers

Dafaq bro
  • Namajunas was +285 for JJ fight
  • Michael Bisping +600 for rockhold
smh bro, also not many people know about this, fuck sake u bring out odds makers to validate your opinion wtf, most of sherdog had Holm beating Rousey which was + 825 on odds makers
It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact that Maroulis beating Yoshida was not a big upset, let alone the biggest upset in Olympic history. (Most would say Rulon Gardner beating Karelin, although I am far from a wrestling expert.)

I have no idea what your point is in referencing MMA odds. (Which, by the way, you aren't even accurate. Namajunas closed around +500 against JJ https://www.bestfightodds.com/events/ufc-217-bisping-vs-st-pierre-1348.)

In any event, I get that you made this thread to try to educate people. However, most hardcore MMA fans do know who Yoshida and Maroulis are. This is because Tatiana Suarez recently won TUF 23, and had wrestled against both Maroulis and Yoshida. Searching "Saori Yoshida" renders 142 hits on this forum.

It's not an opinion. It's an objective fact that Maroulis beating Yoshida was not a big upset, let alone the biggest upset in Olympic history. (Most would say Rulon Gardner beating Karelin, although I am far from a wrestling expert.)

I have no idea what your point is in referencing MMA odds. (Which, by the way, you aren't even accurate. Namajunas closed around +500 against JJ https://www.bestfightodds.com/events/ufc-217-bisping-vs-st-pierre-1348.)

In any event, I get that you made this thread to try to educate people. However, most hardcore MMA fans do know who Yoshida and Maroulis are. This is because Tatiana Suarez recently won TUF 23, and had wrestled against both Maroulis and Yoshida. Searching "Saori Yoshida" renders 142 hits on this forum.

lol your the one that referenced the odds first and namajunes odds are still lower but okay bro whatever you say. and i just checked yoshida i got 159 hits and the last time she was referenced was close to two years ago but okay bro

upload_2018-2-8_14-44-8.png

and we were both wrong in the end

upload_2018-2-8_14-49-59.png

the original link where i got my odds: http://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/joanna-jedrzejczyk-vs-rose-namajunas-betting-odds

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-8_14-44-52.png
    upload_2018-2-8_14-44-52.png
    378.3 KB · Views: 1

Ummmm everyone considered it an upset.. at least everyone who knew what they were talking about.. wrestling betting odds are very similar to the way mma used to be. The Vegas people aren’t as knowledgeable and will give lines/odds that would NEVER have an equivalent in football or basketball. While mma odds have become much more accurate in the last few years. Due to rise in popularity better coverage, Vegas being annoyed at losing money etc

Every year in wrestling. For NCAA’s, Worlds and the Olympics. There are odds that make you either laugh or lick your chops.. that goes double for an extremely new and growing sport in women’s wrestling

It was a massive upset. And there were legitimate questions domestically about whether or not Helen could: one, even make the weight. Two, whether or not she could wrestle at a world level after making weight. If you listen to the podcast with Joe Rogan and her nutritionist you’ll know that there was issues with the cut in Rio. NO ONE had come close to actually putting Yoshida in legitimate danger for over 8 years. She was also less prone to.. distractions than Icho. I can go on if need be

Did you really just pull up bad odds to criticize the TS and say the thread highlighting a cool and historic moment in both Olympic and Women’s wrestling history?

EDIT: Grammar

I feel cheated that Helen lives or lived 10 minutes away from me, and I never met her and won her love. The foot sweep she hit in the finals of world championships was just like.... can this be any more perfect?

"Was when Helen Maroulis defeated Saori Yoshida to claim the olympic gold medal in 2016 Olympic games and become the first (American) female to win an olympic gold medal in wrestling"

Just a little heads up there bro. But anyway, this was a huge upset no doubt about it. And if she was given relatively decent odds by some books its because she was a reigning world champ at the weight above and beat 3 of her opponents at the 2015 worlds 26-0 and pinned the other girl. Helen is also (obviously) incredibly gorgeous. She won the gold medal at the latest world championships beating 5 opponents 52 to FU*KING zero!!!!!

As for biggest Olympic upsets, I think Brandon Slay beating Buavasair Saitiev at the 2000 Games ranks up there amongst the biggest. Saitiev was already the reigning Olympic champ and 3x world champ while Slay had never even made a world team up until this point. Slay's biggest international win up until this point was (arguably) winning the Dave Schultz International (beating Frank Trigg in the finals). It was a very close match and it was not in the finals but Slay beating Saitiev was a tremendous upset.

I was surprised that Maroulis had a lot of close matches in the Indian pro league and even lost a match, that is a big upset too imo.

I was surprised that Maroulis had a lot of close matches in the Indian pro league and even lost a match, that is a big upset too imo.
She actually lost twice to the same person in the Indian pro league.

For people in the know, it wasnt a huge upset. Maroulis smashed everyone and was a world champ at the weight above, and Yoshida was 35. People in the wrestling community around Helen werent surprised when she won. It isnt the biggest upset by any means, but on paper, it looks very lopsided.

"Was when Helen Maroulis defeated Saori Yoshida to claim the olympic gold medal in 2016 Olympic games and become the first (American) female to win an olympic gold medal in wrestling"

Just a little heads up there bro. But anyway, this was a huge upset no doubt about it. And if she was given relatively decent odds by some books its because she was a reigning world champ at the weight above and beat 3 of her opponents at the 2015 worlds 26-0 and pinned the other girl. Helen is also (obviously) incredibly gorgeous. She won the gold medal at the latest world championships beating 5 opponents 52 to FU*KING zero!!!!!

As for biggest Olympic upsets, I think Brandon Slay beating Buavasair Saitiev at the 2000 Games ranks up there amongst the biggest. Saitiev was already the reigning Olympic champ and 3x world champ while Slay had never even made a world team up until this point. Slay's biggest international win up until this point was (arguably) winning the Dave Schultz International (beating Frank Trigg in the finals). It was a very close match and it was not in the finals but Slay beating Saitiev was a tremendous upset.

Agreed with slay being the top upset. Yoshida and Karelin were both pretty old.

2000 was Prime Satiev and Slay was like #3 or 4 on the US ladder heading into Trials.

Agreed with slay being the top upset. Yoshida and Karelin were both pretty old.

2000 was Prime Satiev and Slay was like #3 or 4 on the US ladder heading into Trials.
I was actually shocked to learn that Saitiev lost one other match in the worlds/Olympics in 2006 to at the time unknown Bulgarian Mihail Ganev. I thought Slay was the only person to beat him at the worlds/Olympics.

Back