One FC just sad...

skylolow

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Really, your WW champ Ben Askren has to fight Thani after you can't get him in the cage for over a year. I'm sure most of us know very little about Thani but most importantly he is 7-0. Great on the surface until you realize his opponents combined record is 18-27.

You seriously can't do better than that?????????

Just end the contract and let him walk if he wants to.

He can leave in January of 2018. If they give him a bunch of fights he will be fine.

Odds are he gets 1 more fight only and is done with ONE. Timing wise he might be eligible for the WSOF tournament in January.

Tomorrows card should be fun though. You can always count on the Singapore cards to deliver.

It's sad there is no competition for Ben. If Ben ever goes to UFC yes hes in for a rude awakening

Pisses me off Santos is on this card

I just wanna say: they scheduled the fight cuz' Askren's fine with it for the most part (he said himself he's never needed more than 5 seconds to say yes to a fight), and Thani called him out a few months ago after his last fight and Askren responded-- like he does to most anyone who calls him out-- and some local hype started to surround the match. More importantly, though, the fight'll draw a bunch of Malaysian fans to the event, and Sapo's had some inconvenient, somewhat-confusing scheduling problems over the last few months which've delayed the rematch. They probably would've brought someone else in to fight Askren had he and Thani not started to hype a fight between them, but ONE saw a money-making opportunity and, well...
Thani's last three victories have been pretty good, too. Trestle Tan's better than his record would suggest and had just beaten a 5-0 fighter, and Brad Robinson and Jeff Huang had a respectable combined record of 9-3 going into their fights with Thani. Thani also has a 5-0 amateur record, and his amateur opponents had a combined record of 12-1 going into their matches with Agilan, so I don't think it's fair to just ignore that.
I would've preferred if they waited for Thani to get another win or two before they put him up against Askren, but whatever. The Askren-Thani fight'll already make 'em a lot of money and'll raise Thani's stock win or lose, and their profit margins probably wouldn't be raised much if Thani were 9-0 or 10-0 instead, so I can see why they made the fight.

ONE also tried to get Askren more fights over the last year, but unforeseen circumstances prevented that from happening.

Yeah, that's how you make a fight organization more successful... letting everyone leave just cuz' they want to, becoming a de facto feeder league in the process. That's how the UFC got to be where they are; just letting people leave the company.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's how you make a fight organization more successful... letting everyone leave just cuz' they want to, becoming a de facto feeder league in the process. That's how the UFC got to be where they are; just letting people leave the company.

Your really reaching to make sense of this match up. I get it, but I just think to be taking seriously you got to do better. Guys who are talked about being legit top 10 quality fighters shouldn't be headlining/co-headling cards against guys like this.

When you have to figure out when you can or can't use a guy because he cost to much money then maybe you should let him go. I guarntee they did not make money off Ben Askren. He was just one of there first signings when they thought they'd rule the world. Then reality sunk in and they gone the old cheap pop for the local fighter approach. Letting him go does nothing to there current way of doing business. Shit, Angela Lee is headlining over Ben.

I like the match

Askren gets an easy fight to finish his contract and ONE FC gets people to watch

Besides this Thani guy could shock everyone

ONE FC is a promotion from a region that has not really had much MMA in the past

They do what's best for their market and I like watching their antics

I don't get the hate

Why does everything have to be done the North American way ?

Rick Story is out there as a free agent..... just saying.....

PAP might give Thani a pr if he wins over Ben. Then they can have a claim of having a Singaporean champ.

but hey, at least angela lee's fighting (err, fought. i guess it already happeened) another n00b/can.

maybe she'll go from talking about wanting to fight joanna to calling out cyborg.

edit: twofer
and'll raise Thani's stock win or lose,

...how so?

well, that's just silly. the ufc was always at least the 2nd biggest org around. one might as well not even be on the radar, at this point. being a feeder league would seem to be a step up from whatever the hell they are now (few good fighters vs horribly mismatched cans/n00bs). the downside to not letting fighters leave is that they're then stuck with disgruntled fighters who don't want to be there.

Last edited:
Really, your WW champ Ben Askren has to fight Thani after you can't get him in the cage for over a year. I'm sure most of us know very little about Thani but most importantly he is 7-0. Great on the surface until you realize his opponents combined record is 18-27.

You seriously can't do better than that?????????

Well guess what? The fans that actually make them money ( not America) love that kid and they sell out arenas and give them huge tv ratings because of it

but hey, at least angela lee's fighting (err, fought. i guess it already happeened) another n00b/can.

maybe she'll go from talking about wanting to fight joanna to calling out cyborg.

edit: twofer

...how so?

well, that's just silly. the ufc was always at least the 2nd biggest org around. one might as well not even be on the radar, at this point. being a feeder league would seem to be a step up from whatever the hell they are now (few good fighters vs horribly mismatched cans/n00bs). the downside to not letting fighters leave is that they're then stuck with disgruntled fighters who don't want to be there.
Wait so a feeder league is a step up? I guarantee you one makes more than rfa and legacy combined

Although I did tweet them they can give out lambos but can't pay me my little $300 they owe me from 2014

Back