"One China" non negotiable.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
also lol, this article is from a canadian site. not surprised they have plenty of chinese worried about trump-china relations. its like a pro-syria article from germany lol
That's true Canada is infested with too many Chinese, pretty soon the language police (it's a real canada thing) will include less English, more Chinese.

Republic of China (Taiwan) is just biding its time.

Communism lasted about 70 years in the CCCP, and the People Republic is up to 68 or so...

I don't know, I think the PRC and ROC should just leave it. You have two nations that are relatively settled with their borders and economies. Just call it two states and be done with it. Its not like either side is particularly bothered, they're all talk, unlike Korea and Palestine/Israel.
You think China will just give up the first island chain because you think they should?

They keep North Korea to keep you away from the yalu river. They dont want you on their ocean shores either.

USA cares about the dollar...
Its valuable realestate. Omg look where 'Murica has leased some sunny side properties.

250px-First_island_chain_perimeter_(marked_in_red).jpg

The first island chain has its purpose in Chinese military doctrine. The People's Republic of China views the first island chain as the area it must secure and disable from American bases, aircraft and aircraft-carrier groups, if in defending itself it must tactically unleash a pre-emptive attack against an enemy. The aim of the doctrine is to seal off the Yellow Sea, South China Sea and East China Sea inside an arc running from the Aleutians in the north to Borneo in the south.[3] According to reports by American think tanksCSBA and RAND, by 2020, China will be well on its way to having the means to achieve its first island chain policy.[4]

You think China will just give up the first island chain because you think they should?

They keep North Korea to keep you away from the yalu river. They dont want you on their ocean shores either.
I said they should, I never said they will.

Their coastal batteries and home ground navy mean that they're not under threat of an amphibious invasion, even from a military as strong as the US.

It's a dick measuring contest

What do you mean?
Taiwan offers the US/NATO no additional strategic benefit that they didn't already have from Kadena, Kunsan, Guam, or the fact that ROC would happily let the US use Taipei as a staging point. The status quo isn't threatening to PRC and a two state solution would cause no real lifestyle changes to anyone associated with the PRC. The ruling party is simply flexing it's muscles in the face of US pseudo-aggression to shore up support, which it is well within its rights to do, it just doesn't solve anything

Taiwan offers the US/NATO no additional strategic benefit that they didn't already have from Kadena, Kunsan, Guam, or the fact that ROC would happily let the US use Taipei as a staging point. The status quo isn't threatening to PRC and a two state solution would cause no real lifestyle changes to anyone associated with the PRC. The ruling party is simply flexing it's muscles in the face of US pseudo-aggression to shore up support, which it is well within its rights to do, it just doesn't solve anything
Its not just for military inititive, they want to control that territory because its the gateway to their trade relationships, aquiring more power and influence in the pan asia territory and future dibs on pillaging the area for resources.

Its not just for military inititive, they want to control that territory because its the gateway to their trade relationships, aquiring more power and influence in the pan asia territory and future dibs on pillaging the area for resources.
I hadn't thought about that aspect. Fair enough. PRC has missed the boat though, they spent the Obama years of passive American influence, bordering on appeasement, developing the South China Sea. It's probably too late for Trump to have any influence on the outcome of that theatre but, if he takes a hardline on a two state solution it might be too late for PRC to take Taipei.

I honestly don't know wtf Taiwan does on a media level, on a history level, they are the "real" Chinese, since they were kicked out of China (it's like if the Commies took over America, they kicked Washington DC into Puerto Rico, and they were able to take the constitution/bill o rights and the liberty bell with them, and still spoke English, while the new American Commies decided to speak only Ebonics), I do know my HongKong Cinema. Hell i grew up watching HongKong Cinema, 1 HongKong movie a a night for 10years, it's what the family did.

And HK Cinema died when HK was re-aquired by China in 1997, the movie studios had to be pro china, and all switched over to that disgusting dialect, Mandarin. And every movie produced post 97, has sucked since.

Hell, it's the reason why K-pop and K-drama has been on the rise in the last 10 years, they are busting out quality, while shit from China is pretty attrocious. (i have watched a few taiwanese films, and dramas, and they're pretty dog shit too).

You let China take over Taiwan (which is the only way China will agree to anything, they will NOT allow independance) and Taiwan dies culturally.

Hell, China is practically at war with Taiwan, they've never signed a peace treaty.

Wharton isn''t some CUNY

He went to some religious private school for 2 years and reportedly used some family connections to transfer into the University of Pennsylvania for the last 2 years of his bachelor's degree. He graduated with no honors, which means he had less than a 3.4 GPA. He also called global warming a hoax and believes vaccines cause autism. :thumbsup:

And HK Cinema died when HK was re-aquired by China in 1997, the movie studios had to be pro china, and all switched over to that disgusting dialect, Mandarin. And every movie produced post 97, has sucked since.

Oh give me a break.

HK cinema is dead because:

- everyone bought pirated discs instead of paying at the theatre or buying legit discs during the 2000s

- there is little indy production of film or music in HK so not many fresh ideas make it in

- CG has ramped up the cost of action movies to the point that only the Americans can really afford to make them any more

Back to the topic at hand, I think a lot of people here are neglecting that there are Taiwan politicians and residents who also claim one China in theory. It's just that they differ on who the legit government is.

And as far as Taiwan being the "real" Chinese, are you forgetting the local population (ie: Fujianese related/descended) and the indigenous population?!?

Back