ONE Championship: Visions of Victory 03/09/18

Falconkick

A charming asshole
Yellow Card
Reaction score
28238327_1726569647366283_8349626259554841779_o.jpg
Interesting signing for ONE in Kiamrian Abbasov. He is a Tech-Krep and Mixface tournament champ. I am guessing the winner of this matchup and Thani - Chaubey battle for WW title?

Nice matchup for Lee, Kazunori will be a good step up for him.

I thought I heard talks of Adriano wanting to get out of ONE? Oh well this will be a good fight Reece is a good fighter.

I think Nicolini will challenge for Jingnan Xiong's title if she wins.

mclaren moving down to 125? wow.

lee vs yokota is a fantastic fight.

Good main event
Santos vs Abbasov is a great fight
Lee vs Yokota too

Interested to see Nicollini again

Hahaha Visions of Victory has got to be the lamest sub-title ever seriously who comes up with these things.

Is Christian Lee's thing now to beat over the hill JMMA fighters? Yokota is like 40yo although still has the veteran craftiness and can pull a Boku-Zoro upset

Rather see Christian Lee fighting younger guys

Hahaha Visions of Victory has got to be the lamest sub-title ever seriously who comes up with these things.

Is Christian Lee's thing now to beat over the hill JMMA fighters? Yokota is like 40yo although still has the veteran craftiness and can pull a Boku-Zoro upset

I agree with the name stuff...Christ

Adriano Moraes is out of title fight with Reece due to knee Injury, Gianna Subba replaces to fight Reece

Cant build him up when hes losing to the younger fighters, so next best thing is to katch him up with beatable names to a title shot.

I'm excited about Muhammad Aiman. His hair is fantastic; he made me a fan of his for that reason alone. Him being at bantamweight rather than flyweight also adds some extra depth to the division, and bantam's my favorite division, so I'm, personally, happy about that. And I believe he's the Malaysian Invasion champion from last season, so he's got some promise.
I think this's probably the last we're gonna be seeing Adriano Moraes in ONE. His contract's probably up and he can go wherever he wants (he talked about the UFC) in a few months, and I think this was his last fight in ONE anyways. Now that he's injured, it looks like the clock's just running out.
The Subba-Mclaren winner versus Geje Eustaquio will be better for the company no matter what, though. And it's probably better for Moraes to have been injured so he can run out his contract and go to the UFC, since he clearly doesn't like being in ONE anymore, rather than potentially lose to Mclaren (completely feasible) and get a formal re-admission to ONE. Seriously, where's he gonna go if he loses to Mclaren? You think the UFC will still take him, or that RIZIN will offer him something better off of a loss? Maybe ROAD; they seem like they'd do him good...

Interesting signing for ONE in Kiamrian Abbasov. He is a Tech-Krep and Mixface tournament champ. I am guessing the winner of this matchup and Thani - Chaubey battle for WW title?

If Nikolay Aleksakhin still has a contract with ONE, he might get a shot at the title ahead of the Thani-Chaubey winner. He's on a three-fight winning streak in Fight Nights and got a very nice victory over Dominique Steele last week, and he's improving a lot with each fight. His up-down boxing combinations and his classically-crisp-and-naturalistic footwork are really finding their stride. He's about as marketable a fighter as any welterweight they have not named Agilan Thani, and I'm not sure beating Amitesh will be enough of a statement to declare he's ready for someone like Sapo. Thani's first title-shot was under extenuating circumstances, and I don't think they'll really be able to effectively promote a third Thani title-shot if he loses his second chance at it so soon after the first.
Zebaztian Kadestam's still in the mix, too. If they give him a guy to beat in the next couple months, a title-fight between him and the Sapo-Abbasov winner would be great. Kadestam's also based in the Philippines, so he's got more marketing potential than any other non-SEA-born welterweight.

It's interesting how Boku only became over-the-hill after Christian Lee beat him. Boku had been fighting exactly the same (and even been getting better with age) for like 10 years straight, and the rhetoric before the fight was that Boku's gonna get another knockout. It's the same thing with Yokota; call it what you will, but I think it takes more than getting submitted by Marat Gafurov and then getting knocked out by the guy who later knocked out Gafurov to be declared "over-the-hill", and the fact that they're in the very beginning of their 40s and at the very end of their 30s (respectively, Boku and Yokota) is meaningless to me. Their performances have still been solid, and they haven't been losing to bad fighters.
Yokota may beat Christian, too. Lee doesn't have Nguyen's one-punch knockout power, and Yokota's used his jab/clinch/trip/decision strategy to beat better fighters than Christian Lee before; he can do it again. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Yokota grinds out a victory.

mclaren moving down to 125? wow.

He already fought at hydrated-flyweight [I prefer to call it that since it's more accurate; I'm hoping it catches on] a few months ago. Submitted Anatpong Bunrad, who holds a victory over the current interim champion Geje Eustaquio, pretty impressively in one round. His boxing looked quicker than ever, too.

Cant build him up when hes losing to the younger fighters, so next best thing is to katch him up with beatable names to a title shot.

He only lost to the one younger fighter, and he's currently their two-divisional champion who's looking for his third title Mcgregor-style. That's not a particularly bad loss...

Gosh no

Boku has been over the hill for years... at least by Shooto standards. His career resurgence came in One FC where he started KOing people not even close to his striking level. I love the guy but the facts are that he's always had a limited skillset and relied out outboxing his opponents. It's never worked that well against good, nonUFC championship level fighters (see vs Joachim Hansen in Dream, Yusuke Endo, Hironaka) and that was a younger Boku.

He still has what he always only ever had. Krazy Bee fighters don't really ever evolve...

Their best product has always been Akira Kikuchi but he retired ages ago.

Edit: whoops and Kyoji of course

I'm excited about Muhammad Aiman. His hair is fantastic; he made me a fan of his for that reason alone. Him being at bantamweight rather than flyweight also adds some extra depth to the division, and bantam's my favorite division, so I'm, personally, happy about that. And I believe he's the Malaysian Invasion champion from last season, so he's got some promise.
I think this's probably the last we're gonna be seeing Adriano Moraes in ONE. His contract's probably up and he can go wherever he wants (he talked about the UFC) in a few months, and I think this was his last fight in ONE anyways. Now that he's injured, it looks like the clock's just running out.
The Subba-Mclaren winner versus Geje Eustaquio will be better for the company no matter what, though. And it's probably better for Moraes to have been injured so he can run out his contract and go to the UFC, since he clearly doesn't like being in ONE anymore, rather than potentially lose to Mclaren (completely feasible) and get a formal re-admission to ONE. Seriously, where's he gonna go if he loses to Mclaren? You think the UFC will still take him, or that RIZIN will offer him something better off of a loss? Maybe ROAD; they seem like they'd do him good...

If Nikolay Aleksakhin still has a contract with ONE, he might get a shot at the title ahead of the Thani-Chaubey winner. He's on a three-fight winning streak in Fight Nights and got a very nice victory over Dominique Steele last week, and he's improving a lot with each fight. His up-down boxing combinations and his classically-crisp-and-naturalistic footwork are really finding their stride. He's about as marketable a fighter as any welterweight they have not named Agilan Thani, and I'm not sure beating Amitesh will be enough of a statement to declare he's ready for someone like Sapo. Thani's first title-shot was under extenuating circumstances, and I don't think they'll really be able to effectively promote a third Thani title-shot if he loses his second chance at it so soon after the first.
Zebaztian Kadestam's still in the mix, too. If they give him a guy to beat in the next couple months, a title-fight between him and the Sapo-Abbasov winner would be great. Kadestam's also based in the Philippines, so he's got more marketing potential than any other non-SEA-born welterweight.

It's interesting how Boku only became over-the-hill after Christian Lee beat him. Boku had been fighting exactly the same (and even been getting better with age) for like 10 years straight, and the rhetoric before the fight was that Boku's gonna get another knockout. It's the same thing with Yokota; call it what you will, but I think it takes more than getting submitted by Marat Gafurov and then getting knocked out by the guy who later knocked out Gafurov to be declared "over-the-hill", and the fact that they're in the very beginning of their 40s and at the very end of their 30s (respectively, Boku and Yokota) is meaningless to me. Their performances have still been solid, and they haven't been losing to bad fighters.
Yokota may beat Christian, too. Lee doesn't have Nguyen's one-punch knockout power, and Yokota's used his jab/clinch/trip/decision strategy to beat better fighters than Christian Lee before; he can do it again. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Yokota grinds out a victory.

He already fought at hydrated-flyweight [I prefer to call it that since it's more accurate; I'm hoping it catches on] a few months ago. Submitted Anatpong Bunrad, who holds a victory over the current interim champion Geje Eustaquio, pretty impressively in one round. His boxing looked quicker than ever, too.

He only lost to the one younger fighter, and he's currently their two-divisional champion who's looking for his third title Mcgregor-style. That's not a particularly bad loss...

Good point in Thani. And I agree Nikolay has been looking fantastic. Makes Askren win over him look much more inpressive than before due to how he is evolving.

Boku has been over the hill for years... at least by Shooto standards. His career resurgence came in One FC where he started KOing people not even close to his striking level. I love the guy but the facts are that he's always had a limited skillset and relied out outboxing his opponents. It's never worked that well against good, nonUFC championship level fighters (see vs Joachim Hansen in Dream, Yusuke Endo, Hironaka) and that was a younger Boku.

You are absolutely wrong about that. Boku's resurgence in ONE came from the fact that he improved his striking tremendously since leaving Shooto. It was a progressive change, but they started after the Hironaka loss and since the Folayang fight he's made some significant improvements. He was a pretty basic striker with an outfighting, light-punch-combo game before, and he changed and added a Karate-esque hand-position and movement (I'd like to think it's because of Kyoji's influence), learned enough about positioning to know just where he can be safe in striking range and how to get in-and-out of there, started keeping his lead hand outstretched to not only speed up his jab, but have an immediate advantage in distance-adjustment and added a nice whipping counter-lead-hook to it so fighters can't just press forward on him (and since his hand is outstretched, it lands much faster since it doesn't have as much distance to travel and doesn't need to be wound up), and learned to combo into one-twos so smoothly that fighters can't see it coming. He also improved his jab a lot, so there's that; you know, working heavily on the most basic and effective tool in all of striking-- stuff like that'll make you win fights more impressively.

It had nothing to do with some horse-hockey about how he's fighting bad strikers. Timofey Nastyukhin is a very good, powerful, dangerous striker, and even before the injury, Boku was handily outstriking him. The injury was also a result of what happens when you step deeply into your lead-leg and close to your opponent when they throw a round kick; their shin may get fucked up. You could attribute that to Boku learning how to defend against kicks. Stepping in when an opponent throws a round-kick is a textbook alternative to checking leg-kicks, which's much harder to do when you adopt a wide-legged Karate-esque stance and use a lot of movement in your striking style.
Zorobabel Moreira was coming off a knockout victory over Roger Huerta and had very solid Muay Thai, and he was oustriking Boku for most of the fight including really handling him for like the entire second round, so there clearly wasn't some gigantic disparity in striking skill.
And this wasn't in ONE, but didn't Juntaro Ushiku have a fairly extensive (for a young guy) kickboxing career before he started MMA?

"Over-the-hill" means a fighter's passed their prime. I.E., they've been fighting for so long that their body's broken down and can't keep up anymore, and they're just gonna keep losing. Boku hasn't been over-the-hill for years because his body hasn't slowed down or gotten weaker or even less durable really [I don't think getting suplexed straight onto your head and getting concussed is really the same thing as, like, getting KO'd by a punch you would've taken easily years ago, ala Sam Stout], and it's just inaccurate to assume he's only winning because he's fighting shit strikers. And acting like having a historic stylistic disadvantage against grapplers means a fighter is over-the-hill is just silly. The two have nothing to do with one another.

Last edited:
LOL and it has nothing to do with him fighting guys like at the level of Latoel, Lepont and Major Overall? I'd like to be as nerdy about technique as you are, but do you honestly believe he's been fighting higher level competition since 2012? He's always fought gunslinger style. Sure, it's changed a bit since his last few Shooto fights but saying that's the reason for his one fc success is... improbable at best? He could never get a KO in Japan and suddenly he's KOing half his opponents and this is because of... Kyoji Horiguchi and shotokan karate?

Erson Yamamoto did the exact same thing against Kape and got wrecked in rizin. The shotokan style only works if you're as fast and good at it as Kyoji.... and he may be the only notable fighter in the world today whos good at it

Guys like Timofey and Zoro are honestly low level fighters beyond the one fc talent pool which is super shallow. Zoro has always been a huge frankenstein whose greatest trait was his ability to cut weight. A guy with that kind of height and reach advantage should be outstriking everyone based on physics alone. Too bad he's hopeless at taking a punch cos you know, a lifetime of BJJ training and smashing pads with thais half his height isn't going to help him with that. Beating 1-5 in the last 6 Roger Huerta doesn't a good striker make.

Timofey hasn't even beat anyone of note.

And the one thing about Boku is that he's ALWAYS been a choker against tougher but not necessarily technically better opponents. He was supposed to have his coming out party against Hansen and he got whooped bc Hansen wouldn't crumble. Happened again with Aoki, Jadamba and Colossa.

He's fun to watch but Boku crossed the hill in 2011 bruh

Last edited:
Back