ONE Championship raises $100 million

Could One FC be blamed for hospital problems (like the LePont incident) in bush league places. Its hard to put on a decent event when the infrastructure is bad.

There's no excusefor not providing good medical care in major cities like Manilla and Jakarta.
The people in general in these cities are poor, but the rich ones aren't. There are thousands of multi-millionaires in Jakarta and those people have world class healthcare.
The city may well be in poverty but we are talking about cities with 10-20+ million people, not about an event in a village in the jungle.

ONE should provide healthcare for the fighters end of story.

Plenty of ONE haters on here and their track record is not perfect but you have to respect what they've done for MMA in countries like Thailand (helping to legalise it and holding marquee events there), Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Myanmar and Cambodia.

i think they got investors just to buy a lamborghini for askren.

Hoax, $100 million and yet most of their events always gets cancelled?
Hoax

Most? Lol

People complain that ONE has shills in the media but some of the posts ITT are ridiculous in the other direction.

One Championship is a promising promotion mismanage by the wrong people.

If that $100 million is true, then why they can't hire a well known and talented fighters instead of those local wannabe throw away fighters there?

Why hire "well known" fighters when nobody in their target market knows them?
According to the owners, they tried hiring "well known" fighters from USA and around the world in their early shows but decided to focus more in local fighters because that's what the comparatively uneducated/inexperienced audience responded to.
Arlovski, Sylvia, Babalu Sobral, Baroni, Manhoef, Kawajiri, Imanari, Sapp Ann fought in the early shows.

Expensive fighters that nobody in their target demo gives a fook about.

I was at that half-full 6000 seat stadium and it was dead. I think most of the people there (myself included) got their tickets for free.

MMA in Indonesia is a non-starter anyway, and Surabaya people would be even less interested than Jakarta people.
(There were a lot of foreigners at the Jakarta show)

Good to know. They'd probably be doing well in Indonesia if Fransino Tirta hadn't retired, since he was a guy that could've really galvanized interest. But, well...
I think Stefer Rahardian could be what saves them in Indonesia if he wins a few more fights. Maybe not if he wrestlefucks his way to decisions like he did the last couple times, but even then it'd just add to the number of wins needed to be a star.

Favoritism to where they let a champion miss weight, announce that she made weight, and keep their belt or get up to 7 tries to make weight? Fighter safety where they brag about letting that same fighter fight through pneumonia and taking all of those tries to make weight? They basically left a guy in a foreign country to fend for his own after being KO'd. ONE isn't trying to make changes, the whole weight cut ban was just a PR move, they don't enforce or enforce it very selectively.

The fact that you're so convinced that they let Angela dehydrate from 130 despite the fact that there's no proof shows how ridiculously biased you are against ONE. She was rumored to have missed weight by two pounds against Mei Yamaguchi, which was one thing, but there's been no proof (or even rumor with any kind of steam; the rumors have all been circulated by the same, like, 5 people on Twitter that are the equivalent of attack-shills and constantly talk shit on ONE) that she dehydrates or that they selectively use the rule to give fighters an advantage (despite the fact that these rumors extend no further than Angela), but you're acting like it's a fact. She looked the same size as Istela Nunes in her last fight; does that mean they let Istela Nunes dehydrate from 130, too? They must've, since they let her get a size advantage on all her opponents through dehydrating and there's no way she could've been the same size in any other circumstance.
The closest thing to "proof" they have is that Angela looked bigger than Jenny Huang in some of the pictures, but considering even Mei Yamaguchi looked bigger than Jenny (despite the fact that she's almost two inches shorter than her) and that Jenny could probably make weight if there was a minimumweight women's division, that's really not a good argument.

They don't even have a good reason to do it. If Angela winning is so important to their success that they have to go around their dehydration rules just to ensure she wins, not only would they be so desperate that they wouldn't have any other stars (since not having any other draws is the only reason for a company to have the kind of desperation that results in abusing the rules), but they'd be struggling so much they wouldn't even be trying to expand to other territories. It would also be easier to just have her fight at strawweight and give her legitimately-overmatched opponents, not going through all this hooplah with finding atomweights and having them weigh-in at one thing and giving Angela a different weight to go in at.
Not to mention it would be horrible PR if that got out and would completely destroy all of Angela's star-power that they're banking everything on, apparently. Finding out that Roger Huerta spends so much time in Thailand so he can fuck kids would be better PR.
They have way more to lose than to gain by doing that. It's like how everyone was convinced last year that ONE's just a marketing machine for the EVOLVE gym, which was complete bullshit just by looking at their business practices for 5 seconds and realizing what a terrible strategy that is if that's what they're going for.

Like any news with MMA from that part of the world it rarely means anything long term.

I just don't get ONE FC at all. They talk like they have everything going for them in the world. But looking from afar to me they started out by wanting guys with big names and now have retreated into the regional/local MMA way of doing business. In a nutshell they look for the cheap pop and sell tickets based on a bunch of local guys with very little MMA experience. To me that is about as low level as it gets in MMA. Running shows like that what the hell you need a 100 million investment comes to mind.

P.S.: My guess as to why orgs haven't really been able to penetrate China on a large scale is simply there government. In the end they control everything and its hard to business under that.

Chinese government owns 51% of every company that works there. That is how they do business.

Most? Lol

People complain that ONE has shills in the media but some of the posts ITT are ridiculous in the other direction.

According to the owners, they tried hiring "well known" fighters from USA and around the world in their early shows but decided to focus more in local fighters because that's what the comparatively uneducated/inexperienced audience responded to.
Arlovski, Sylvia, Babalu Sobral, Baroni, Manhoef, Kawajiri, Imanari, Sapp Ann fought in the early shows.

The guys that you mentioned outside of Arlovski and Manhoef are ancient washed outs that nobody gives a fuck about,

And what do you suggest?

Big names brings fans and spectators.

In order for unknown fighter to have to be well known in this sport, you have to beat a well known and top ranked opponent.

I see those things happening in ONE.

Most? Lol

The guys that you mentioned outside of Arlovski and Manhoef are ancient washed outs that nobody gives a fuck about,

And what do you suggest?

In order for unknown fighter to have to be well known in this sport, you have to beat a well known and top ranked opponent.

I don't see those things happening in ONE.

There are no big names in southeast Asia MMA outside ONE Championship.

They are doing what's best for their business and giving their audience what they want.

They aren't giving you what you want so you think they're shit.

If established names bring fans then why does ONE Championship have more fans than bellator?

You know nothing mate

I

I don't see those things happening in ONE.
Aoki vs Folayang?

There are no big names in southeast Asia MMA outside ONE Championship.

They are doing what's best for their business and giving their audience what they want.

They aren't giving you what you want so you think they're shit.

It's normal.

Aoki vs Folayang?
Well Folayang is a star, but outside of him are there anyone who is not throw away that can challenge him?

Same as Askre and Fernandes?

None

Well Folayang is a star, but outside of him are there anyone who is not throw away that can challenge him?

Eduard has 3 losses in ONE Championship before so there many guys who can challenge him.

If you are talking about homegrown talent going over established fighters (who can challenge eduard popularity) then see also Angela Lee ve Mei Yamaguchi.
Mei was ranked as high as #3 in the world and although she is far from a household name....she is an established high level fighter in that division. Angela is a huge star now.

Please if you know nothing about the subject matter you should just read the thread instead of posting out of your ass. Tks.

Eduard has 3 losses in ONE Championship before so there many guys who can challenge him.

If you are talking about homegrown talent going over established fighters (who can challenge eduard popularity) then see also Angela Lee ve Mei Yamaguchi.
Mei was ranked as high as #3 in the world and although she is far from a household name....she is an established high level fighter in that division. Angela is a huge star now.

Please if you know nothing about the subject matter you should just read the thread instead of posting out of your ass. Tks.
Wmma should not be taken seriously lad, ONE is a dying promotion.

Wmma should not be taken seriously lad, ONE is a dying promotion.
Alright.

But anyway I have been to ONE shows every year since the very first show in 2011 and based on the live attendance (as well as every other measurable statistic). The promotion and the business is slowly growing, and not dying at all.

But you have your idea so good luck with it.

Chinese government owns 51% of every company that works there. That is how they do business.

They do not own 51% of EVERY business that does work in China. I do understand in some cases they do.

I have no ideal what ONE FC deal is with China.

All those fake comments...
Matt-Hughes.gif

Plenty of ONE haters on here and their track record is not perfect but you have to respect what they've done for MMA in countries like Thailand (helping to legalise it and holding marquee events there), Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Myanmar and Cambodia.
Yup thats how I see it. Some of those places, people work for a dollar a day. That's just another reason I respect ONE and orgs like it. They offer an opportunity for people to have money and fame expressing their basic human nature, fighting.

Last edited:
ONE Championship might be the most mysterious MMA organization of all-time.

Back