ONE Championship raises $100 million

One is too big to be small and to small to be big. At least to the North American market. They need to focus just on being the biggest they can be in Asia, which is what they seem to be doing.

If they're smart, they'll stay out of the North American market (which is virtually monopolized by the UFC and pretty impregnable), and try to achieve success where the UFC failed:
67dce73e2ef11e8286a7f045c8f465f2-imagepng.png

Not really big news, ONE has announced investors like this before and nothing much happened.

Whoever signed off on that investment should be fired.

May as well flush your money down the drain.

If they're smart, they'll stay out of the North American market (which is virtually monopolized by the UFC and pretty impregnable), and try to achieve success where the UFC failed:
67dce73e2ef11e8286a7f045c8f465f2-imagepng.png
ROAD already beat them to it for foreign promotions and Kunlun Fight is doing well as a domestic promotion. ONE tried for China and failed miserably, they ended up canceling most of their events there.

Wow, those are big deals! Thanks for the info!

I know it may not seem like nothing has happened, but capital allocation takes time, and things are happening behinds the scenes that will eventually become noticeable to the consumer.

ROAD already beat them to it for foreign promotions and Kunlun Fight is doing well as a domestic promotion. ONE tried for China and failed miserably, they ended up canceling most of their events there.

Why did ONE fail, and ROAD have success in China?

China's definitely a mystery (given that martial arts is part of traditional culture).

I feel there's got to be a magic bullet to penetrate the Chinese market, which would probably be finding a Chinese superstar (ala Bruce Lee) who can transcend the sport itself. But I think China should be the focus regardless since that's where the long-term growth is. A successful MMA promotion in China could seriously combat the UFC on the world stage.

Why did ONE fail, and ROAD have success in China?
ROAD has Chinese tech giants backing them. Though I think their situation was a bit strained recently due to political stuff.

Wow, those are big deals! Thanks for the info!

I know it may not seem like nothing has happened, but capital allocation takes time, and things are happening behinds the scenes that will eventually become noticeable to the consumer.
True but ONE keeps canceling events, not keeping their stars busy, and so on. They have lost most fan's favor due to constant lies and many shady behind the scene situations.

True but ONE keeps canceling events, not keeping their stars busy, and so on. They have lost most fan's favor due to constant lies and many shady behind the scene situations.

Thank you for shining light on this. What sort of shady stuff? Can you provide some links?

It's hard to take an organization seriously whose HW champion is Brandon Vera.

Thank you for shining light on this. What sort of shady stuff? Can you provide some links?
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10...t-hospital-amputation-fighter-safety-mma-news

They also made up this whole system that supposedly banned weight cutting just to get heat off of their back for a fighter dying on them. Their Strawweight champion, Angela Lee, consistently misses weight but ONE doesn't report that and allows her to keep her title. They usually bring in Atomweights for her so she's basically getting a 2 weight class advantage on most of her opponents. The list goes on and on.

Back