ONE Championship Just Pulled 25 Million Viewers

Common misconception. Both have their ups and downs for both styles.

They do but in general ring favors strikers since they can cut off the ring. Cage allows wrestlers to wall-n-stall and go for takedowns off the fence.

They do but in general ring favors strikers since they can cut off the ring. Cage allows wrestlers to wall-n-stall and go for takedowns off the fence.
Cage offers strikers a chance to shrimp up the cage when taken down. See: Joanna, Liddel. When taken down in a ring, they’re generally stuck there.

Both have their ups and downs for each style, but the cage is an overall better platform for a sport that mixes fighting styles.

BTw, plenty of strikers like to wall and stall, as well.

Cage offers strikers a chance to shrimp up the cage when taken down. See: Joanna, Liddel. When taken down in a ring, they’re generally stuck there.

Both have their ups and downs for each style, but the cage is an overall better platform for a sport that mixes fighting styles.

BTw, plenty of strikers like to wall and stall, as well.

Shrimping up the cage is often difficult for strikers when against a solid grappler. See Khabib against Conner. There are stand-ups in the ring for inactivity on the ground, as well as yellow cards in some organizations.

Strikers use wall-and-stall but wrestlers are more proficient at it and use it more often.

I think both platforms are fine for MMA.

one fc is crooked as all hell and lied so much before about their numbers that i wouldn't believe this, either.

just sayin.

m96jjd.jpg

Source: Forbes

Promoting boxing was pure genius for ONE, and especially getting the SE Asian World Champion from Thailand on their roster. Even while most people tuned in for the boxing match, other forms of martial arts got enormous exposure, and this is only a boon for ONE.

They're doing things the right way, by becoming a martial arts org and not just an MMA org. The ceiling is high, and they're going to grow in popularity more and more, whether they break into the Western market or not.

Some believe you need exposure in the States to be legitimate, and it simply isn't true (re: PRIDE). The market ONE is growing a lock on dwarfs the American market, and is a market the UFC has been unable to successfully break into (which is why they rarely hold shows there). With ONE ready to bust into the Japanese market, we are going to witness some exciting shit in the near future.

Bellator is taking a similar approach, and is obviously studying ONE's game, by breaking into the European market, and claiming a portion of the world that the UFC doesn't have locked down.

I, for one, hope they both succeed in becoming global competitors to the UFC.

<Oku03> Awesome. I barely watched this fight this morning. Member how I said RIZIN should start mixing in reg boxing matches as well. Looks like ONE beat them to it. I know Tenshin has expressed interest in boxing professionally. I just saw the boxing match though. Was it a mixed card or all boxing fir this event ??

m96jjd.jpg

<Oku03> Awesome. I barely watched this fight this morning. Member how I said RIZIN should start mixing in reg boxing matches as well. Looks like ONE beat them to it. I know Tenshin has expressed interest in boxing professionally. I just saw the boxing match though. Was it a mixed card or all boxing fir this event ??
Mixed card. There were five Thai boxers on the card as well.

I like what they're doing. Putting on shows that aren't exclusive to one sport gives them a different niche. Smart move.

m96jjd.jpg

Mixed card. There were five Thai boxers on the card as well.

I like what they're doing. Putting on shows that aren't exclusive to one sport gives them a different niche. Smart move.

Rizin could follow suit as well. Boxing is still relevant in Japan prob more so than MMA. But I would prefer all three MMA KICKBOXING and TRADITIONAL BOXING.

The majority of thoese 25M viewers barely make 5$ per day, sad but true. That means these fans will never afford to consume ONE merchandises as you need in NFL and NHL. Buying a 39,99$ with a L.A Kings logo is a profit for the team.

ONE started in 2011, so the “cheap pop” as you like to call it, seems to be a pretty good business model for them. Considering the UFC does the same thing outside the U.S, it seems like a damn good business model.

Honestly, I see your idea of “fans seek out the best a sport has to offer and rarely settle for the middle of the road” as a narrow minded, hardcore fan’s view. I can think of numerous examples, in both team and individual sports. Most college sports fans not only never attend the school they cheer for, they might not even live in the same state; yet the cheer for their college team year after year, no matter the ups and downs. Local team sports? Same thing. Many Olympic sports might flounder in any particular country, until the suddenly have a real contender, and suddenly that sport goes on the rise in that country. (Ex: curling was very rare in South Korea until this past Olympics. Now it has surged in popularity)

The majority of fans who attend events or watch on tv/streams are not hardcore fans, they’re casuals. Most casuals want familiarity. It’s much easier to get behind a local fighter, or a fighter from their home country, than it is for some guy they never heard of before and have little to nothing in common with. People on forums like this love to deride patriotism and national pride, but that rarely reflects reality. Fans get behind “their” guys, and cheer for them to be the best.

That’s reality, especially in Asia/S.E. Asia, where nationality and ethnicity are most often one and the same.

It isn't narrow minded it's what most fans and casuals do with any sport. Take your college football example. Chances are these fans are watching and cheering mainly for Division 1 football programs(the best NCAA Football has to offer). They aren't living and dying on every moment of the local division 2 or 3 school down the road and if they are chances are very high they mainly watch Division 1 outside of that local/regional division 2 school. That is what I mean by cheap pop. Sure you local triple A baseball team plugs along but the fans watching it are also usually fans of MLB more so than the triple A team. They aren't into the sport because of the lower level of that sport, it's the best the sport has to offer that makes them fans of the sport in general overall.

As ONE Championship continues to educate their fans(just like what happen in the UFC) eventually those fans demand a better or the best product you can put on. They aren't going to just settle for some local guys rounding out a majority of the card outside of one or two fights. UFC's decline in ratings and PPV buys is exactly from educating the fans. Fans have moved on from just two guys fighting in the cage as must see. Eventually, One's core fans will go through this process and so far One has really yet to pivot too being a player in the bigger free agent market of the better MMA fighters in the world. Sure, they have the niche market right now and who knows how long that can be sustainable and to what level. Some orgs like Shooto for example can be around for almost 30 years. But the truth is they are nothing but a small blip in the world of MMA. Eventually, when fans begin to clamour for MMA in One's territory they may get the UFC's attention more so with live shows and more easy accessible UFC content.

I like ONE over all, but as usual with MMA in that part of the world they posture/say things like they are really contenders to the UFC's reign when the reality is they barely register on the needle in the world view of MMA.

Forbes is known to shill for ONE, any article about ONE on there is paid for PR

Literally every article on Forbes is paid for. It's run by contributors. Been that way for years.

I did want Wren in the HW GP but Coker is doing a good job
Poor ratings all under 500,000 viewers per show except two in 2018 and losing money in 2017 and going to DAZN, which will mean even less eyes on Bellator is not doing a good job.

Coker put together the best names he could to bring eyes to the tourney. Subsequent tournaments would logically contain more prospects. Kind of like how the other tournaments contain prospects.

The guy who put on DC, Woodley, Ronda, Jacare...
That's straight false. The lowest Bobby Lashley ratings segment on a Bellator card was in the mid 900,000 average live viewers and the rest of his segments are all over 1 million average live viewers. Cheick Kongo segments usually draw between 800,000 to 1 million average live viewers. The hipster MMA internet fans love to lie about those were the best names in the Bellator Heavyweight Tournament because you people are simply UFC fans for the most part and have zero interest in Bellator except for the curiosity of seeing those past their prime UFC fighters in Bellator. But your numbers have proven to poor and totally unreliable and the Bellator fan base for the most part have gone and ain't coming back to see garbage. Seriously Bellator 205 did 346,000 average live viewers which is downright atrocious.

Back