ONE Championship expected to hit Korea next year.

leto1776

Sherdog Wet Shaver
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rank 5 = Jung Sung Wook] The ONE Championship, which hosts mixed martial arts events in Asia based on Singapore, announced the 2018 Asian Games schedule. Among them, the Korean tournament is included in July, which attracts attention.

The publisher often publishes a lot of Korean mma news. Translated by google
http://rank5.kr/16506

According to the original championship, "We will announce the schedule for the 24-round championship in 2018, the symbol of Asia. This includes new markets such as Korea and Japan. "

One championship is a mixed martial arts group based in Singapore. It is a mixed martial arts competition that was launched in 2011 by Victor Kui from ESPN STAR Sports, a professional sports media company of Thailand based company Charity City. The initial name was One Fighting Championship, but it was renamed One Championship.

Rod Bantamweight champion Kim Soo-cheol (25, Team Force) was the first bantamweight champion, and Dae Hwan Kim (29, International Gymnasium) was active at the bantamweight. Angela Lee (21, Singapore), known as Korean, has been a female Atomic champion at the youngest age (20 years) in mixed martial arts history, and her brother Christian Lee (20) is also active in the featherweight class. Kevin Chung (24, Korean name Jeong Jin-soo), a Korean-American who signed contract in February this year, won the game before his debut in June.

On the other hand, the organizer did not disclose specific schedule for the Korea tournament. Only July 2018 was mentioned in the timetable. The contest is expected to be held on the grounds that it delivered a specific schedule through the press release, unlike the one that quietly canceled the Jangchung Gymnasium this year.

gimme some dae hwan kim, soo chul kim, and yoon jun lee.

gimme some dae hwan kim, soo chul kim, and yoon jun lee.
Latter 2 are/were ROAD champs with Lee being out for the foreseeable future due to serious health issues (the only reason he isn't champ anymore). I'm not sure if Dae Hwan is still with ONE or not, been almost 2 years since he last fought for them and his last appearance was in a single night tournament for ALL FC

Cool, but they might just end up cancelling the event. Wouldn't doubt it if they cancel it.

Cool, but they might just end up cancelling the event. Wouldn't doubt it if they cancel it.
According to the article, they had booked a date for Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul for this year, but ended up quietly withdrawing it.

I mean it wouldn't be shocking but they also won't have to fight the government in Korea, should be pretty simple for them to set up. I'd definitely say it's more likely this happens than any of their scheduled events in China, who knows with ONE though.

I think they are in for a rude awakening if they expect this event to be even remotely successful attendance wise, especially if they can't get a venue in Seoul

Last edited:
According to the article, they had booked a date for Jangchung Gymnasium in Seoul for this year, but ended up quietly withdrawing it.
They always do that shit, man. One fc is all talk lol. I doubt they invested $300 million dollars. I remember reading a article saying some shit like that lol

I was skeptical about the number of events they announced along with the Korea and Tokyo announcement, but then I looked at the locations.

• Jakarta, Indonesia – January 20
  • Manila, Philippines – January 26
  • Yangon, Myanmar – February 24
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – March 9
  • Bangkok, Thailand – March 24
  • Manila, Philippines – April 20
  • Jakarta, Indonesia – May 12
  • Singapore – May 18
  • Shanghai, China – May 26
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – June 8
  • Beijing, China – June
  • Manila, Philippines – July 27
  • Seoul, South Korea – July
  • Bangkok, Thailand – August 11
  • Shanghai, China – August 18
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – September 15
  • Jakarta, Indonesia – September 22
  • Tokyo, Japan – September
  • Bangkok, Thailand – October 6
  • Manila, Philippines – November 16
  • Singapore – November 23
  • Jakarta, Indonesia – December 8
  • Shanghai, China – December 15
  • Bangkok, Thailand – December 22

They're not getting that 24-event number by including a lot of vague China shows like detractors are expecting. They're doing it by upgrading their presence in FIRMLY-established regions. They have four events each in Manila, Jakarta and Bangkok, three each in Shanghai and Kuala Lumpur, two in Singapore. The lone event in Myanmar's a little weird, but they're probably just having trouble securing a good second date (it happens.)
The 6 events in Northeast-Asia are on the fence, since they're comprised of both new regions to ONE and regions they've historically struggled in, but even taking that into account-- even assuming each of those events in NEA get canceled, there's still 18 events that are almost-guaranteed to happen. Unless there's some political shit with the Junta in Thailand or the Rohingya in Myanmar, or if Duterte does something crazy in Manila or Jakarta backpedals on its stance on MMA again, all of which ONE can't really do anything about, just about all of those events are guaranteed to happen. Other than, like, a flood or a hurricane, I can't think of anything that'll keep the Kuala Lumpur events from happening.
And they may add a few more shows in established regions; maybe they'll make a return to Cambodia and get a date set for a second appearance in Yangon.

Who they'll get to main-event in Korea'll be tough. I mean, in Japan they have Aoki and Nobita Naito (not a great draw yet, but still, the top strawweight in the world and a main-event-quality fighter), but Korea...

I mean it wouldn't be shocking but they also won't have to fight the government in Korea, should be pretty simple for them to set up. I'd definitely say it's more likely this happens than any of their scheduled events in China, who knows with ONE though.

I think they are in for a rude awakening if they expect this event to be even remotely successful attendance wise, especially if they can't get a venue in Seoul

Makes me think of that event M-1 Challenge had in a high school gymnasium in Mokpo.

Makes me think of that event M-1 Challenge had in a high school gymnasium in Mokpo.
That event was doomed from the start. Whoever had the idea to hold an event way down in Mokpo with no promotion should have been immediately fired.

Even without that blatant stupidity its generally been tough for even local promotions to pull good sized crowds, though I think that has changed a little in recent years. ONE doesn't really have anyone that is well known in Korea though, if they want any chance of bringing in a crowd they should probably try to bring in an old K-1 name.

If Song Ga Yeon can somehow resolve her issues with ROAD by then they might be able to generate some buzz with her. She's already with Evolve now.

That event was doomed from the start. Whoever had the idea to hold an event way down in Mokpo with no promotion should have been immediately fired.

Even without that blatant stupidity its generally been tough for even local promotions to pull good sized crowds, though I think that has changed a little in recent years. ONE doesn't really have anyone that is well known in Korea though, if they want any chance of bringing in a crowd they should probably try to bring in an old K-1 name.

If Song Ga Yeon can somehow resolve her issues with ROAD by then they might be able to generate some buzz with her. She's already with Evolve now.
I remember a few people defending that event when it happened, because M-1 Selection events are their smallest events. Like, what's the point, if nobody shows up? Events that don't make money, lose money.

Maybe they could have a "special attraction: traditional Starcraft bout" on the card to appeal to the local Korean crowd.

They should sign Kim Jong Un to a 1 fight deal

Back