One Championship declares it will ‘swallow up’ UFC as battle for MMA supremacy intensifies

The biggest problem I have with One is that its mismatch central. They market their biggest draws so hard to the point they are feeding them basically amateur fighters

This is a very legit complaint (ie. any time there's an Indian or Egyptian on the card). Annoys the hell out of me too.

I heard Chatri said that they own most of the shares in MMA in Asia, is there any truth to this ?

btw i think ONE FC has tons of potential, they really know how to put on a good show and their marketing strategy is solid as well.

The best fighters are in the UFC and UFC is kind. Period

Chatri says dumb masturbatory shit, it's just another Friday

I heard Chatri said that they own most of the shares in MMA in Asia, is there any truth to this ?

btw i think ONE FC has tons of potential, they really know how to put on a good show and their marketing strategy is solid as well.
How do you even calculate market share in MMA. At a global level they're like 1% and ufc 99%

Agree.
They stack Singapore cards

UFC Asia cards are a slap in the face

That's why one is more popular than UFC in south east Asia. UFC don't care enough about Asian market...that's their mistake IMO.

UFC is focusing too much on North America in general. Have u seen the Chile card? Ouch

Tbh it's not even that popular here. Most locals don't even care about MMA. They run the indoor stadium which isn't that big to begin with and they rarely if ever sell it out. All the one shows i've been to in singapore had huge huge empty sections. Not a whole lot of local support for specific fighters cos they aren't local. Angela Lee is constantly ridiculed for being the most Hawaiian singaporean ever.

You don't have that last problem in japan.... or anywhere else in the world.

I'm still convinced that it's just some rich dude's vanity project. Kinda similar to how rich oligarchs spend money on football/soccer teams in the UK.

Oh and Chatri's kind of an dishonest dude. But what do you expect from a born into wealth harvard educated thai with an american accent who claims to be and wants to be addressed by a ring name...

Tbh it's not even that popular here. Most locals don't even care about MMA. They run the indoor stadium which isn't that big to begin with and they rarely if ever sell it out. All the one shows i've been to in singapore had huge huge empty sections. Not a whole lot of local support for specific fighters cos they aren't local. Angela Lee is constantly ridiculed for being the most Hawaiian singaporean ever.

I'm still convinced that it's just some rich dude's vanity project. Kinda similar to how rich oligarchs spend money on football/soccer teams in the UK.

Oh and Chatri's kind of an dishonest dude. But what do you expect from a born into wealth harvard educated thai with an american accent who claims to be and wants to be addressed by a ring name...
Lol. Hilarious shit, thanks. Interesting to hear from a local.

When was the last show u went to?
I just left the stadium, it was full tonight and has been for most of the events I went to in the last few years...at least since Angela fought for the belt the first time.
I know there's a lot of complimentary tickets given out tho (because my colleague got ringside seats)

what the commentators said about it being sold out 1.5 weeks ago is nonsense though caus I bought my tickets yesterday.

I went to the very first shows in 2011 and 2012 and there was empty sections at that time but obviously it's grown immensely in popularity.

To be honest, I think Angela has a lot of support. Most of the young singaporean women I know are well aware of her. I'm curious how our experiences could be so different.

Just now on the way home the first thing my taxi driver asked me was "how was the show? Did all the Singaporean win; Angela Lee Christian Lee and amir Khan?"

When was the last show u went to?
I just left the stadium, it was full tonight and has been for most of the events I went to in the last few years...at least since Angela fought for the belt the first time.
I know there's a lot of complimentary tickets given out tho (because my colleague got ringside seats)

The one where Aoki got nagashima'd again by the filipino dude. Empty sections. I'm not sure if it's still the case these days but they used to close off big sections of the nosebleeders.

By comparison i saw russell peters live at the same place and it eas visibly more full.

what the commentators said about it being sold out 1.5 weeks ago is nonsense though caus I bought my tickets yesterday.

Ees normal

I went to the very first shows in 2011 and 2012 and there was empty sections at that time but obviously it's grown immensely in popularity.

I actually think it went down. It was way hotter at the start cos it was fresh.

To be honest, I think Angela has a lot of support. Most of the young singaporean women I know are well aware of her. I'm curious how our experiences could be so different.
Lol ask them if they think of her as a local. I'd bet they'd like her more cos of her korean blood...

Your taxi driver's a funny guy. I bet he still remembers when the local govt would give out equivalents of green cards to subpar Croatian, Brazilian and Nigerian football players to play in the national soccer team. Hell they even managed to get Eduardo Saverin to turn Singaporean. The locals are so desparate to be associated with anything globally successful or popular, they'd sell their own mums out. Ironically Joseph Schooling himself is the great example of this...

Last edited:
The one where Aoki got nagashima'd again by the filipino dude. Empty sections. I'm not sure if it's still the case these days but they used to close off big sections of the nosebleeders.

I was there too but honestly can't remember if it was that full or not, but if it wasn't that's because angela Lee wasn't headlining.

Anyways, they have actually opened up more sections for tonight's event compared to previously.

Lee/Yamaguchi 1:
one_championship_cat2_tickets_2_tickets_1462463409_4e8175d7.jpg

Lee/Yamaguchi 2:
(I noticed the stage was way further back than it used to be)
OFC18-seatmapv2-7d8718d9bf.jpg

I've read some crazy shit my days, but wow.

I think I'd concentrate on how to grow your own org beyond the cheap local pop for the local guys. Maybe a run a year without pulling scheduled events. Sign some lucrative TV deals around the globe. Be a player on the global free agent market. You know, just things in general that real orgs do to be taking seriously around the world.

P.S.: You can talk all you want about selling the Chinese people and the size of the market, but doing it on a massive scale is another thing. For your success you get to grease the living hell out the Communist Chinese government.

Last edited:
Left the event feeling disgusted at the result. Mei won that fight. I got nosebleed seats but ppl around me had company sponsored tickets. Loads of casuals around me made me facepalm constantly.

I don't like the fact they have to cover up the lack of depth with MT and Kickboxing fights although im a big fan of Yodsenklai.

At some point One has to match make better fighters with each other. It's really losing credibility when you constantly match jobbers with established guys.

Singaporeans aren't as blindly nationalistic compared to our neighbours. Also they must understand that the Singapore event audience is mixed nationality because there are many foreigners and expats in the crowd. Doing the nationalistic thing doesn't really work here.

all this "potentional viewers" bullshit by Chatri.

Just now on the way home the first thing my taxi driver asked me was "how was the show? Did all the Singaporean win; Angela Lee Christian Lee and amir Khan?"
Was surprised they portrayed the Lee siblings as from Singapore because I thought they lived in HI and are on local HI news now and then.

Back