Once a week boxing training, is it fine?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
Due to busy schedule with my work, I can only go to the boxing gym like once or twice a week.

Would that be okay? I mean, would I still improve and develop my skills and techniques? My coach often tells me I'm a very quick learner, I think that should be a factor as well. Just to add, I have no problem with weight or anything, just training my boxing lessons for self-defense and fight knowledge.

I don't want to be Muhammed Ali, I just want to be far tougher than the average person, I basically want to feel comfortable about fighting someone random.

Last edited:
Due to busy schedule with my work, I can only go to the boxing gym like once or twice a week.

Would that be okay? I mean, would I still improve and develop my skills and techniques? My coach often tells me I'm a very quick learner, I think that should be a factor as well. Just to add, I have no problem with weight or anything, just training my boxing lessons for self-defense and fight knowledge.

this belongs in standup forum.

To answer your question- how good do you think you can be if you learned a language only once a week, or guitar?

you'll improve over time, which is fine for a hobby though you probably won't ever get good enough to fight as an amateur on that schedule

yeah it's okay. better than going no times a week, but to what end?

If you're going to be fighting? No. If you just want to learn boxing? Sure why not. Being a quick learner, not having problems with weight, fight knowledge, mean absolutely nothing. Repetition and self reflection are all that are needed.

When I first started, I was always boxing. Always shadowboxing - no mirror was safe. I still walk around jabbing and hooking. Drives my SO nuts.

you'll improve over time, which is fine for a hobby though you probably won't ever get good enough to fight as an amateur on that schedule
I would consider it as just a hobby of mine. I have no plans on fighting amateur fights as of now, maybe in the future.

Sparring with different opponents is what I'm aiming to experience over time

depends on your goal.
I have no plans on fighting amateur fights right now.
Since I just started yet, I haven't sparred with anyone at the gym, and that's my goal for now, experience sparring with different guys.

then going once a week is better than not going at all.

I think twice a week can be enough if you supplement it with things on your own. Go for a run and do push-ups/situps on a few days you don't go to the gym, and shadowbox at least a few rounds every single day. That's the only way I could see you building meaningfully from one block to the next. Repetition and consistency is more important than intensity, especially for a beginner.

It could be enough. Depends on which belt you're going after.

Last edited:
conditioning wise, no way is that enough, no way. but, what does it matter if you just want to fuck around? I'd say minimum 3 days a week, but even then, how hard are the workouts? lots of people "workout" a lot while they read magazines and shit. Personally, I don't worry about what other people do, i just focus on what I do and i know if i'm fucking up or not. I'm definitely out of shape right now and I don't jive myself about it.

I would consider it as just a hobby of mine. I have no plans on fighting amateur fights as of now, maybe in the future.

Sparring with different opponents is what I'm aiming to experience over time

I’ve only ever trained at gyms 1-2 times a week but I do lots of footwork drills and shadow boxing at home. I’ve also got a couple of bags in my yard as well. Once a week is not enough if you want to get to a decent standard but there’s no reason why you can’t practice some of the things you learn at home.

Good place to start. If you like it youll go more.

Sure it's a good place to start. Keep at it though.

I don't want to be Muhammed Ali, I just want to be far tougher than the average person, I basically want to feel comfortable about fighting someone random.

I'd say age is going to play a big factor in this. I did a very limited schedule in boxing and developed a lot but I was 11 years old. If you are approaching 30 I'd imagine this will be a longer process and the ceiling is much more limited.

Do you have any options on practicing at your place...double end bag...etc?

Sure as shit its better than nothing
You do need to do at least cardio 2 more days of the week

Back