Once A Pioneer Of The Free Speech Movement, UC Berkeley Is Now Giving In To Violent Rioters.

My question was How did you leaped from the campus police acknowledging that they could not adequately "assure Ms. Coulter's safety" to "the cops ASKED UC-Berkeley to shut Coulter down"...? o_O

And yes, those are two wildly different narratives, with wildly different implications. I'm sure you must have realized that by now.

What are the wildly different implications? In both cases the police are saying it isn't safe, if you want to bean count some sort of totalitarian thing out of the way I put it in a Sherdog post, then I suggest you start drinking earlier in the day and mellow out.

Coulter is just too cowardly to admit she likes black dick because she knows she'll lose a large percentage of her alt-right audience.
Even she likes the BBC she could choose somebody a little better looking and younger
maxresdefault.jpg

I get all of that, but you lose claim to the moral argument by becoming violent yourself. It's far more effective to continue exposing hypocrisy and pressuring administrators, local authorities and lawmakers. The second you get in a brawl with these goofballs, it's just a brawl. It's not a brawl for rights. And going into gun territory is an absurd extension of that. The first yahoo that goes armed with a gun to confront the stupid Berkeley kids, and shoots one of them, is going to rightfully go to prison.

Throwing bricks and M80s into a crowd of people doesn't make you a 'goofball'. You could blow off someone's hand or seriously injured someone. If the police refuse to step in, do you just expect people to take it?

Throwing bricks and M80s into a crowd of people doesn't make you a 'goofball'. You could blow off someone's hand or seriously injured someone. If the police refuse to step in, do you just expect people to take it?
So? Bringing a gun to an expected public confrontation doesn't make you a "yahoo" either, but I used that word too. You could blow off somebody's nipples with that thing. How dare I call them yahoos. Are you really going to fucking whine because I'm using a mean enough word for one group of people? Go be a shadow ffs.

So? Bringing a gun to an expected public confrontation doesn't make you a "yahoo" either, but I used that word too. You could blow off somebody's nipples with that thing. How dare I call them yahoos. Are you really going to fucking whine because I'm using a mean enough word for one group of people? Go be a shadow ffs.
There's no reason to get testy here.
I was referring to the brawling, not bringing a gun and shooting people. Throwing bricks and explosives into a crowd warrants retaliation.

There's no reason to get testy here.
I was referring to the brawling, not bringing a gun and shooting people. Throwing bricks and explosives into a crowd warrants retaliation.
No, it doesn't. It warrants warrants. Vigilante dipshits, smh.

Berkeley reverses decision to cancel speech by conservative pundit Ann Coulter
By William Wan and Susan Svrluga April 20​

Officials at the University of California at Berkeley on Thursday reversed their decision to cancel a speech by conservative firebrand Ann Coulter.

The university had previously announced Wednesday that it was canceling Coulter’s appearance following several political protests in Berkeley that turned violent. But on Thursday, the university said it had found a venue where it could hold the speech on a different day, May 2, instead of the original April 27 date.

Coulter and the group arranging her event said they are rejecting the new invitation.

In a series of tweets Thursday night, Coulter criticized the university, saying Berkeley officials were adding “burdensome” conditions to her speech. She said she had already spent money to hold the event on the original April 27 date and is not available May 2. She also pointed out that May 2 would coincide with a reading period before final exams, when there are no classes on campus and a fewer students around.

And she vowed that she is going to speak in Berkeley on the originally planned April 27 date, whether the university approved or not.

The decision to cancel Coulter’s speech came drew sharp criticism from some on the campus, such as Robert Reich, a Berkeley professor who served as labor secretary under President Bill Clinton.

“This is a grave mistake,” Reich said in a Facebook post. He said universities should “do everything possible to foster and protect” free speech, writing that students should be allowed to hear Coulter’s arguments and question them.

“It’s one thing to cancel an address at the last moment because university and local police are not prepared to contain violence. … It’s another thing entirely to cancel an address before it is given, when police have adequate time to prepare for such eventualities,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-speech-over-fears-of-more-violent-protests/

Last edited:

Officials at the University of California at Berkeley on Thursday reversed their decision to cancel a speech by conservative firebrand Ann Coulter.

The university had announced Wednesday that it was canceling Coulter’s appearance following several political protests in Berkeley that turned violent.

But on Thursday, the university said it had found a venue where it could hold the speech on May 2, instead of the original April 27 date. However, a leader of the college Republican group that originally invited Coulter said the university was placing strict conditions on the event, and he said his group intended to reject the new terms.

Before the reversal was announced, Coulter had vowed to go ahead with an appearance anyway.

That probably would have put security officials on high alert and might have sparked another showdown in struggles over campus safety, student views and ideological openness.

“What are they going to do? Arrest me?” she said late Wednesday on the Fox News show “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Coulter said she “called their bluff” by agreeing to rules set by the university seeking to prevent violence.

The decision to cancel Coulter’s speech came drew sharp criticism from some on the campus, such as Robert Reich, a Berkeley professor who served as labor secretary under President Bill Clinton.

“This is a grave mistake,” Reich said in a Facebook post. He said universities should “do everything possible to foster and protect” free speech, writing that students should be allowed to hear Coulter’s arguments and question them.

“It’s one thing to cancel an address at the last moment because university and local police are not prepared to contain violence. … It’s another thing entirely to cancel an address before it is given, when police have adequate time to prepare for such eventualities,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-speech-over-fears-of-more-violent-protests/

Came here to share this but hadn't seen the Robert Reich part. Proud of him for saying it was wrong to cancel.

The university had announced Wednesday that it was canceling Coulter’s appearance following several political protests in Berkeley that turned violent.

But on Thursday, the university said it had found a venue where it could hold the speech on May 2, instead of the original April 27 date. However, a leader of the college Republican group that originally invited Coulter said the university was placing strict conditions on the event, and he said his group intended to reject the new terms.

Before the reversal was announced, Coulter had vowed to go ahead with an appearance anyway.

That probably would have put security officials on high alert and might have sparked another showdown in struggles over campus safety, student views and ideological openness.

“What are they going to do? Arrest me?” she said late Wednesday on the Fox News show “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Coulter said she “called their bluff” by agreeing to rules set by the university seeking to prevent violence.

Off topic, but Tucker looked even more like a Muppet here than usual.

Came here to share this but hadn't seen the Robert Reich part. Proud of him for saying it was wrong to cancel.

Professor Robert Reich's post gave me hope for Berkeley for a moment there.

Then I scroll down to read the Berkeley students' response below his post and I'm back to reality again.

The girl who propose that invited Guest Speakers like Milo and Coulter should be forced to put down a $50,000 deposit to cover any damages to the school caused by rioters is particularly hilarious.

I had ZERO interest in her speech, but this PR campaign by neo marxists has peaked my interest. Now I want to hear what she has to say.

The university had previously announced Wednesday that it was canceling Coulter’s appearance following several political protests in Berkeley that turned violent. But on Thursday, the university said it had found a venue where it could hold the speech on a different day, May 2, instead of the original April 27 date.

Coulter and the group arranging her event said they are rejecting the new invitation.

In a series of tweets Thursday night, Coulter criticized the university, saying Berkeley officials were adding “burdensome” conditions to her speech. She said she had already spent money to hold the event on the original April 27 date and is not available May 2. She also pointed out that May 2 would coincide with a reading period before final exams, when there are no classes on campus and a fewer students around.

And she vowed that she is going to speak in Berkeley on the originally planned April 27 date, whether the university approved or not.

Joe-Biden-Laughing-Shaking-his-Head.gif

Back