? on intesive endurance training

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The other day I was reading an article by Lyle McDonald on endurance training and one of the training method that he mention was intensive endurance training where you have your heart rate between 150-160 bpm. My question is, would having the heart rate between 150-160 still be sufficient to cause left ventricular eccentric hypertrophy? Thank you.

Good question.

From my understanding on his article, people with a limited amount of time to build endurance should hit the higher end. However it depends. A beginner who has alot of room to work with can gain just about anything. Also depends how much endurance you need for your sport.

130-150bpm few times a week plus sports specific stuff (hard scrimmage or sparring for example) should be enough if you need endurance to a certain point. It be different if your goal was pure endurance which would require lots of time to put doing steady state stuff (130-150bpm) or for some with limited amount of time, would have to hit the higher end. Simply to getting pass the begginer stages, you would either new more volume and/or higher intensity.

Why dont you link the article in question so we have the proper context to your post?

I got a reply from Joel Jamieson and he said yes, it will be sufficient to cause left ventricular eccentric hypertrophy.

Thanks! Thats a very interesting read.

Conditioning is still a bit of a mindfuck for me...

When do you know you've reached sufficient Left ventricular hypertrophy? When your resting HR is in 55 - 60 bpm range? And do you measure resting HR lying down, sitting down or standing still?

When do you know you've reached sufficient Left ventricular hypertrophy?

From what I've read, the consensus always has been between 130-150 bpm for sufficiently causing the left ventricular eccentric hypertrophy in the heart. I was kind of surprise that 160 bpm was still good enough for causing eccentric hypertrophy since it is a relatively high number.

When your resting HR is in 55 - 60 bpm range? And do you measure resting HR lying down, sitting down or standing still?

My resting heart rate is usually in the mid to high 50's in the morning and or when I'm just relaxing. Sometime I measure it while standing or sitting down.

From what I've read, the consensus always has been between 130-150 bpm for sufficiently causing the left ventricular eccentric hypertrophy in the heart. I was kind of surprise that 160 bpm was still good enough for causing eccentric hypertrophy since it is a relatively high number.

My resting heart rate is usually in the mid to high 50's in the morning and or when I'm just relaxing. Sometime I measure it while standing or sitting down.

From what I've read of Joel Jamiesons work, thats pretty good resting HR for MMA.

If I remember correctly, this is where you transition to focus on Anaerobic threshold training. I dont know since Iam not there yet, still in the low to mid 60s so I am focusing on LISS and Tempo intervals.

Doing a mini strength block to stabilise my strength gains from my last cycle before going back to conditioning next month.

Maffatone and Spieler(SP?) and others recommend an 80/20 split. 80% low intensity 20% high intensity training by volume. That can be as high as 95% low intensity training for untrained individuals. Point being that slot of gains can be realized at the lower end of the spectrum. This seems to be the case looking at training programs that are sport specific. Mike Caviston seems to deviate from this with his Wolverine plan that he developed for the University of Michigan womens rowers. For that on a six day training regimen there is 3 low intensity workouts, a long hard day, and two sprint days that targets different goals. However even saying that he says the low intensity workouts are the backbone of the program.

If you are practicing a sport why not do liss as extra work and get the higher intensity work in practice for your sport? This seems to get closer to the 80/20 mix, allow for the specific adaptations of the sport, all while not wiping you out for those practices.

If you are practicing a sport why not do liss as extra work and get the higher intensity work in practice for your sport? This seems to get closer to the 80/20 mix, allow for the specific adaptations of the sport, all while not wiping you out for those practices.

Interesting that you mention that. When I started boxing, I initially began jogging for distance but eventually dropped the distance work in favor of high intensity interval training. However, I'm now back to jogging for distance with occasional hill sprints and I practice my sport more in a high intensity interval style.

if you're trying to build good endurance for a sport that requires a lot of it and want to get pass the beginner stages with a limited amount of time, rather than putting endless hours of pure steady state, 3x week steady state 60-90 minutes of 130-150bpm + 2-3x a week of high intensity (anaerobic threshold, Intervals, sport/fight pace drills ect + all the other moderate/light work you do on top of the hard days) is enough volume to see some endurance gains.

Back