Media Oliveira: "Levels are part of the game, see you soon"

I don't think people realize what they're watching. Olives was active, working his guard and looking for opportunities to lock something in. Additionally, his movement and defense caused Dariush to miss most of his G&P. He even quickly reset Benny's half-guard back to full and when he saw an opening, he quickly got back up, realizing it may not be smart to cede a round by being on his back, playing the guard game.
Beneil was too focused on landing strikes when he was on top, should’ve gone the Dagestan route and just use the first engagement to smother and deplete Charles gas tank. Another thing that separates Khabib/islam, impeccable IQ, Beniel on paper had all the skills that islam had, yet ge couldn’t put it together.

Beneil was too focused on landing strikes when he was on top, should’ve gone the Dagestan route and just use the first engagement to smother and deplete Charles gas tank. Another thing that separates Khabib/islam, impeccable IQ, Beniel on paper had all the skills that islam had, yet ge couldn’t put it together.

I disagree to an extent, as I think Islam has better cardio and a better top game. I think you're correct in your assessment of fight IQ, however. Islam uses his approach to great effect. You saw it in his striking against Olives when they fought. He was steady, looked for counters and openings, and had impeccable timing in the stand up while pressing forward. He's clearly an expert level grappler, so I don't need to delve into that.

Guys should never say shit like this. I can't remember the name, but I just remember a fighter saying "there's levels to this." In his post fight interview; then in his next fight he got smoked.
Corey Anderson.

He pretty much admitted that it wasn't him and all he wanted was a break. Dariush in an interview said he heard charles was injured in that islam fight. I don't know if I believe that stuff, but it's been said and who knows what these guys are dealing with on fight night

He's also claiming that he's the champ, it must be true, too. <36>

He pretty much admitted that it wasn't him and all he wanted was a break. Dariush in an interview said he heard charles was injured in that islam fight. I don't know if I believe that stuff, but it's been said and who knows what these guys are dealing with on fight night

Interesting. It would explain some things.

I don't think people realize what they're watching. Olives was active, working his guard and looking for opportunities to lock something in. Additionally, his movement and defense caused Dariush to miss most of his G&P. He even quickly reset Benny's half-guard back to full and when he saw an opening, he quickly got back up, realizing it may not be smart to cede a round by being on his back, playing the guard game.

Commentary is biased by wrestling mindsets in my opinion, and historically the judges are too, so I understand it. To me, though, it's basically a neutral position and whoever is more offensively effective from there is winning. Even if people want to score those moments for dariush, I'd still see it as a more longterm win for Charles because he was making dariush work far harder than he himself was working -- he was draining dariush from bottom with his activity.

I hope not also....but Yair is bad match up for volk...and got this bad feeling volk is going to be KO'd stiff.
I think I would stop watching the sport for a bit if that happens. All of my favorites lost recently. It's been brutal lol.

Commentary is biased by wrestling mindsets in my opinion, and historically the judges are too, so I understand it. To me, though, it's basically a neutral position and whoever is more offensively effective from there is winning. Even if people want to score those moments for dariush, I'd still see it as a more longterm win for Charles because he was making dariush work far harder than he himself was working -- he was draining dariush from bottom with his activity.
I watched the fight live with local announcers (rarely any bias and very high knowledge) and later with DC and co. Again there was quite a difference. Have heard much worse, but still.
Charles dictated when the fight goes to the ground, what’s happening there and when it is time to stand up again. Beneil tried to disencage as he did not like to be hit there from bottom, but Charles swept him back to the ground and directly to his guard. When Charles decided to stand up, that happened with ease.

I watched the fight live with local announcers (rarely any bias and very high knowledge) and later with DC and co. Again there was quite a difference. Have heard much worse, but still.
Charles dictated when the fight goes to the ground, what’s happening there and when it is time to stand up again. Beneil tried to disencage as he did not like to be hit there from bottom, but Charles swept him back to the ground and directly to his guard. When Charles decided to stand up, that happened with ease.
This. Even the biased UFC commentators were saying Charles was choosing to get on the ground because he wasn't even trying to stand up. Until the moment he really wanted and got up pretty easily.

Charles dictated the fight and was trying to make a statement on the ground, proof of that Dariush didn't do anything there. Dariush was so terrified in losing the bjj battle that he preferred to be ktfo than be submitted, that last roll shows that lol.

He isn't better than Islam though. He can study as much tape as he wants. Just as we told you before the first fight, there are levels and Islam is simply....better.

Oliveira has explicitly stated that he refuses to rewatch the fight.

The notion that he made massive adjustments is hilarious. He just fought someone with worse defense.

anyone can have a bad night, islam still got more to prove, for sure next islam vs charles II

I'm not hopeful either. The way Benny was having his way with him on the ground before he got caught not a good sign. But Oliveira can adjust. He took that fight so soon. Got dropped like 2-3 times by Justin and Poirier before that. Fresh and motivated Oliveira, maybe he can do something. The first round wasn't that bad and in the second round, he had to throw that stupid knee. Needs to fight smart.
Given that he still hasn't rewatched the fight and says he won't change anything for a rematch, I'm not compelled to see it at all. Volk 2 (if he can beat Yair) is a much more compelling fight for Islam than Charles, Justin, or Dustin.

Also, they need to do this fight in a neutral ground or Oliveira's yard this time. Oliveira went there, it's time for our diva to go there. Fuck out of here with that Abu Dhabi shit again. But knowing UFC, fkn retards gonna do this fight in Abu Dhabi again. And that place is shady asf.
Well Islam wanted to fight earlier but UFC told him to chill to October so yeah Charles will have 4 months to prepare for an Islam rematch in the same location

I'm not hopeful either. The way Benny was having his way with him on the ground before he got caught not a good sign. But Oliveira can adjust. He took that fight so soon. Got dropped like 2-3 times by Justin and Poirier before that. Fresh and motivated Oliveira, maybe he can do something. The first round wasn't that bad and in the second round, he had to throw that stupid knee. Needs to fight smart.
I wouldn't describe it as having his way with him. Charles elbows and hammer fists were doing damage, he almost got the leg lock, and Dariush was missing 95% of his GNP

people are acting like oliveira adapted and now is stylistically a better match up. this is not the case. Islam is the much much better grappler, we knew that before hand. but during the fight we also saw that islam improved his striking and was better than oliveira. even against Volk, Islam rocked him a couple of times standing.

what is oliveira's path to victory against Islam? outgrapple him? never gonna happen. starch him on the feet? could happen, but highly unlikely after we saw the first match. charles is a more agressive striker but Islam is more refined and still improving. I predict another submission victory for Islam.

Oliveira has explicitly stated that he refuses to rewatch the fight.

The notion that he made massive adjustments is hilarious. He just fought someone with worse defense.

What matters more is what his coaches took from the Islam loss, since they're the one running his preparation

Back