Old Vernon White story

I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Thanks for listening & sorry about the rambling post.

Good one TS, thanks for sharing.... makes me feel good that I'm not the only old fart surfing these forums... :)

Dead serious. I cornered my buddy at some fights in Topeka, Kansas like 7 years ago. Spencer Fisher was the guest Referee and my buddy was the main event. My buddy had trained a few times at Militech in the Quad Cities and was aquainted with Spencer and his wife. Since he was the main event, we spent like 6 hours in a limo with the promoter and Spencer and his wife going to the weigh ins and to some bars and places that the promoter wanted to go to, apparently to market the fights. I naturally got hammered at one of the bars, and decided to by a round for myself, Spencer and the other guy that was working the corner the next night with me. I went to pay for it and realized I was 5 bucks short. She didn't say anything, just whipped out 5 bucks and gave it to the bartender. Yep, I was that guy. Anyway, wasn't trying to make fun of your story, just wanted to share my own and didn't much read through the thread before I posted, thought other people would have told stories too.

My sincerest apology then. Sorry. I just thought with your airport joke immediately below that you were jabbing me or questioning my credibility. I had a lot of reservations posting that because of past posters' bad results.
That's a funny story of yours. And sorry again.

Good one TS, thanks for sharing.... makes me feel good that I'm not the only old fart surfing these forums... :)

Yeah I'm getting up there. Don't feel like it but when I see how young most of the posters on here are I feel it a little.

Also, just verifies for the 1000th time that a journeyman (and at the time inexperienced) fighter will fuck up the average group of dudes

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/6...ez-fends-off-home-invasion-by-4-attackers-one

A New Mexico Lightweight with a 1-5 pro record managed to defend his home and family from 4 alleged gang members who broke in armed with a shank and bent on mayhem.

Yeah, no shit. Fighter with a 1-5 record fought off 4 gang members breaking into his home and looking to hurt him, some of them armed with knives etc. One of them ended up getting killed, one in the hospital and two fleded the scene after getting beat up.

When the name Vernon White gets brought up, this is all i can think about.

Seems like a great guy from your stories though, TS.

I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Vernon White did ok saving TS’s ass at the Calavares Fair in 1993!

crazy story TS. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for the trip along memory lane Intellidamus!

Stand up individual right there, Vernon!

Those darn cowboys were up to no good!

Glad you did ok after the altercation!

Every time I read the name Vernon White I am reminded of the huge cut Vitor gave him. I was at the Thomas and Mack Center when it happened. Sidenote it was my wife and I's first date.

Wasn't that Ramparts Johnson?

After that cut he had a lucrative acting-career (Matrix , Training Day, Pulp Fiction etc)

Quite the career! He did ok!

Wasn't that Ramparts Johnson?

After that cut he had a lucrative acting-career (Matrix , Training Day, Pulp Fiction etc)

Quite the career! He did ok!
that was actually Marvin Eastman, who also did ok!!!

Cool story, but you should have touched those cowboys with teh jab. They’d be stiff as a board in those boots

1) Cool story (no sarcasm)
2) It's very meta that a 9-year old thread gets necrobumped and the bumps all have variations of "he did OK". I see what you did there Sherbros.
Agreed on all counts. Very cool story that deserved a bump. I had something very similar happen, except I'm not a fighter, and I got pulled off the ground after a KO at a Melvins show. So I guess, not at all similar really.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/6...ez-fends-off-home-invasion-by-4-attackers-one

Yeah, no shit. Fighter with a 1-5 record fought off 4 gang members breaking into his home and looking to hurt him, some of them armed with knives etc. One of them ended up getting killed, one in the hospital and two fleded the scene after getting beat up.
It doesn't even take a fighter sometimes, just someone you wouldn't expect who has had some training. I'm sure I've told this before, but our 65+ year old handyman in the trailer park got jumped by 3 assholes one night after hours. One of them flash-knocked him out with the butt of a pellet rifle, then they all 3 jumped on him. He fucked all 3 of them up, severely breaking one of their legs. The other 2 ran away when they realized they bit off more than they could chew. Seeing the one guy the next day limping through the trailer park on crutches with a cast all the way up his leg was very satisfying.

Agreed on all counts. Very cool story that deserved a bump. I had something very similar happen, except I'm not a fighter, and I got pulled off the ground after a KO at a Melvins show. So I guess, not at all similar really.

It doesn't even take a fighter sometimes, just someone you wouldn't expect who has had some training. I'm sure I've told this before, but our 65+ year old handyman in the trailer park got jumped by 3 assholes one night after hours. One of them flash-knocked him out with the butt of a pellet rifle, then they all 3 jumped on him. He fucked all 3 of them up, severely breaking one of their legs. The other 2 ran away when they realized they bit off more than they could chew. Seeing the one guy the next day limping through the trailer park on crutches with a cast all the way up his leg was very satisfying.
Pit-related injuries are no joke, brother. I retired from moshing in 2002 after getting my rib broken at a GlassJaw show. Ultimate irony is that they are a straight edge band and I was the farthest thing from sober at the time.

Pretty sure Vernon's skills in 1993 were only striking based on his TKD background. It took him awhile to learn the grappling game. But it goes to show that karate can work for self defense....something the Gracies tried very hard to disprove around the same time in the early UFCs. So long as the guys you're fighting aren't trained grapplers, it can effective in some situations. Hit the first guy with a hard head kick and the others will probably melt in fear.

Went into this thread not realizing it was bumped from 2014. I was losing my shit when I read Vernon was around 42

pics or didn't happen.

shoulda touched him with teh jab.

Pit-related injuries are no joke, brother. I retired from moshing in 2002 after getting my rib broken at a GlassJaw show. Ultimate irony is that they are a straight edge band and I was the farthest thing from sober at the time.
I'm a tiny guy and was trying to avoid the pit entirely. This crazy asshole took a run at me and knocked me down with all his weight. Why you would target the smallest guy there is a mystery. I came to on the ground thinking I would get trampled but an angel of a man picked me up and said,"I'm getting you out of this". That was 20 years ago and I still have 2 pieces of Budweiser bottle in my hand. I had just bought the fucking beer and the show had just started.

I'm a tiny guy and was trying to avoid the pit entirely. This crazy asshole took a run at me and knocked me down with all his weight. Why you would target the smallest guy there is a mystery. I came to on the ground thinking I would get trampled but an angel of a man picked me up and said,"I'm getting you out of this". That was 20 years ago and I still have 2 pieces of Budweiser bottle in my hand. I had just bought the fucking beer and the show had just started.
Fooking brutal. Just goes to show (both in your case and in the case of OP's story) - the old wisdom holds true - some guys go out to have fun/meet people, others go out looking for trouble/bust heads. And the dudes looking for trouble aren't looking to have a gentlemen's duel - they gang up on one guy, or pick on a guy they think they can beat. It's pathetic.

Back