Old school wrestling videos from the British Pathe

Interesting, I wonder why Britain sucks at wrestling today.. maybe they just lost interest.

Interesting, I wonder why Britain sucks at wrestling today.. maybe they just lost interest.

The wrestling in those vids dont seem like either Freestyle or Greco-Roman. Maybe they just dont like the olympic rulesets.

Plus they have rugby which is a team wrestling sport.

We had a rich history of wrestling, including submissions, which unfortunately disappeared following the two world wars. Partly because of a rise in Queensbury rules boxing, partly because of a loss of wrestling talent. The 'professional' wrestling we see in the US has some roots in the British wrestling scene.

They still wrestle in England. A lot of the wrestlers mix it with JJJ and BJJ. Catch Wrestling (which influenced BJJ, Luta Livre, Sambo, MMA) comes from the UK. The Gracie family were from Scotland originally.

We had a rich history of wrestling, including submissions, which unfortunately disappeared following the two world wars. Partly because of a rise in Queensbury rules boxing, partly because of a loss of wrestling talent. The 'professional' wrestling we see in the US has some roots in the British wrestling scene.
yes billy ray rob was thelast great still alive :(

Back