Old School Conditioning

Both LISS and HIIT are important but there are a few guidelines you need to have in place to get the benefits. Some have already been mentioned by other posters.

One of the main benefits of LISS is a kind of cardiac hypertrophy. For that to occur these are best practices:

1. Stay within aerobic HR zone.

120-150bpm, or calculate it using the MAFF method.

2. Minimum duration of 30 minutes per session. More is better.

3. Minimum of 3 sessions per week. More is better.

4. Minimum of 5 weeks. This depends on how much your aerobic system sucks right now. You can extend this to 8-12 weeks.

5. You don't have to run. Any activity that keeps you within the optimal Heartrate works. Shadow boxing, light circuit trg.

6. Bonus: For best results avoid HIIT and maximal strength training during your aerobic block. Re-introduce both after.

HIIT and LISS type work have slightly opposing adaptations. The strength work isn't that big of a deal to do alongside, but again there's opposing forces at work that have to do with MTor. I don't fully understand this part, but other posters here have explained it well.

Sources:

Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning, Tactical Barbell 2, and Phil Maffetone's "Maff Method".

Both LISS and HIIT are important but there are a few guidelines you need to have in place to get the benefits. Some have already been mentioned by other posters.

One of the main benefits of LISS is a kind of cardiac hypertrophy. For that to occur these are best practices:

1. Stay within aerobic HR zone.

120-150bpm, or calculate it using the MAFF method.

2. Minimum duration of 30 minutes per session. More is better.

3. Minimum of 3 sessions per week. More is better.

4. Minimum of 5 weeks. This depends on how much your aerobic system sucks right now. You can extend this to 8-12 weeks.

5. You don't have to run. Any activity that keeps you within the optimal Heartrate works. Shadow boxing, light circuit trg.

6. Bonus: For best results avoid HIIT and maximal strength training during your aerobic block. Re-introduce both after.

HIIT and LISS type work have slightly opposing adaptations. The strength work isn't that big of a deal to do alongside, but again there's opposing forces at work that have to do with MTor. I don't fully understand this part, but other posters here have explained it well.

Sources:

Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning, Tactical Barbell 2, and Phil Maffetone's "Maff Method".
Great advice, thanks.

The second track training I've just finished.
image.png

More distance than the other day, but seems I had a worse pace. Some red lights ruined me the average pace I think because my sensation is I run faster than the other day.

Tomorrow I have Saturday Morning Sparring. I was thinking about some weightlifting right afterwards. I know it should be better before, but later morning gym gets crowdy and it's impossible to spar.

Thanks for following!!

For roadwork, setting a pace PR on every or even most sessions is not needed or even desirable. If you're putting in the miles at a comfortable pace consistently, you're putting money in the bank. I wouldn't worry about it too hard unless you specifically want to prepare for a race.

Don't worry about pace. This sort of conditioning is about accumulating "easy miles". Lots of distance, lots of time, low-ish effort.

Today I had sparring session with a friend, like every weekend.

6 rounds of 2 minutes each. Light sparring, trying to focus on technique and the lessons we learn during the week.

After that I lift some weights. Dbs bench press and dbs row. Then a shoulder superserie, seated front plate raises and lateral db raises. Then 15 seconds of punches with 3 kilos dbs.

Tomorrow I'll ran 5km and then spar other six rounds.

P.S. I'd like to move this thread to the training log subforum to make mine. Anyone knows how?

Today I had sparring session with a friend, like every weekend.

6 rounds of 2 minutes each. Light sparring, trying to focus on technique and the lessons we learn during the week.

After that I lift some weights. Dbs bench press and dbs row. Then a shoulder superserie, seated front plate raises and lateral db raises. Then 15 seconds of punches with 3 kilos dbs.

Tomorrow I'll ran 5km and then spar other six rounds.

P.S. I'd like to move this thread to the training log subforum to make mine. Anyone knows how?
@PUO3

Today I make 5km and then 6 rounds of light sparring.

I like how I'm feeling this first week of Old School Conditioning. I was lighter and was easier to move both sparrings sessions. I feel in great shape, should start running before.

image.png

Don't worry about pace. This sort of conditioning is about accumulating "easy miles". Lots of distance, lots of time, low-ish effort.

About 10 years ago I went to a training camp in Boulder Colorado that was being run by Dave Scott. He was one of the hardcore Hawaii ironman guys back in the day and won the thing 5 times back when people just trained more and not smarter.

He told us that he used to do his long runs at night so nobody would see him because he was embarassed for people to see him running so slow.

Dude also did tons of weight training and people than thought at was useless for endurance guys.

About 10 years ago I went to a training camp in Boulder Colorado that was being run by Dave Scott. He was one of the hardcore Hawaii ironman guys back in the day and won the thing 5 times back when people just trained more and not smarter.

He told us that he used to do his long runs at night so nobody would see him because he was embarassed for people to see him running so slow.

Dude also did tons of weight training and people than thought at was useless for endurance guys.

Nice story!!

Alex Viada competes in Ultra Marathons and Powerlifting. I believe his PR's are 700/465/705.

Alex Viada competes in Ultra Marathons and Powerlifting. I believe his PR's are 700/465/705.

Dosent that dude tell lots of lies and stuff and lots of his run times and lifting numbers aren't confirmed or are "in practice"???

Not saying he isn't a good athlete, but Dave Scott was lifting before it was "cool" for triathletes. He even had an awesome book about training that had a big section about lifting. It was cool.

Dosent that dude tell lots of lies and stuff and lots of his run times and lifting numbers aren't confirmed or are "in practice"???

Not saying he isn't a good athlete, but Dave Scott was lifting before it was "cool" for triathletes. He even had an awesome book about training that had a big section about lifting. It was cool.

Could be, I don't know that much about him. I know he trains both endurance and strength, but I can't vouch for his numbers. I was just repeating what I'd read in a couple of articles about him.

Dave Scott sounds like a beast.:cool:

Like the other guy said, I've seen no verification of the cardio side of his claims. He really has hit those lifts, though, and he does DO marathons. Pretty cool, even if he might be full of shit.

You need to incorporate both. LISS is good for the total duration of the fight. HIIT is for the intensity. I've said it before but from my exp. this happened:

First 2 fights, I only did only LISS type running (5-6km daily runs) and gassed in the 2nd of a 3x2min fight (2min, although it sounds very short, the intensity is much higher than a 5min round).
3rd fight, I did HIIT only. Did well at first, but gassed horribly in the third. It was tied, and I ended up getting a 4th round, and I had nothing to answer.
Telephone poles. Jog 3, sprint one, repeat. Old school as fark

Could be, I don't know that much about him. I know he trains both endurance and strength, but I can't vouch for his numbers. I was just repeating what I'd read in a couple of articles about him.

Dave Scott sounds like a beast.:cool:

Dave Scott was a total beast, so was mark Allen. Look up the "iron war" if you feel like it, the 2 top guys in the world at the time going head to head.

Dave Scott was a total beast, so was mark Allen. Look up the "iron war" if you feel like it, the 2 top guys in the world at the time going head to head.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

I actually sorta did that during my first time around: Sprint for 1 block worth of parked cars (parallel parked) or 100 meters. Jog for 2 bus stops. Sprint when the traffic light counts down to make it across the street (don't wanna be doing nothing waiting for 1-2 min).
At then though, thats just a form of interval training.

That's basically fartlek.

Pretty old school too... I used to do that in futbol preseason. A lot of that. Like 10km every two days for one month.

I'm trying to make this thread my training log. So I have to update.

On monday I rest, mainly cause it was my wife's birthday. Anyway I like to rest on mondays, so I'm thinking to change tuesday for mondays. So my week schedule would be:

MONDAY - rest
TUESDAY - kickboxing class
WEDNESDAY - running
THURSDAY - kickboxing class
FRIDAY - rest
SATURDAY - sparring session + abs training
SUNDAY - running + sparring session

But this week I had kickboxing classes on tuesday and wednesday, and today I my first running so I'll update this night.

I can't make many conclusions of my first Old School Conditioning week. I can't only say I feel lighter, and it's easier to lose weight this way.

I'm already waking up at 155lbs, what was my starting goal and I hitted it in one week of running LISS olny. So it works.

Now I'm moving to the next level, looking for the featherweight goal (145lbs) for my next fight in November 12.

Back