Old School Conditioning

mdcholakian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was a little bit lost with my conditioning and strength training for my kickboxing.

I have classes at the gym twice a week, and a sparring session with a friend another one when I make some cardio training before. Then I have two sessions which I need to decide.

I was seriously thinking in just running. I made strength and power training a lot of time, when I put some muscle on my body gaining some weight there.

I'm wanting to lose some weight to compete against smaller guys. I'm confident I can acomplish that.

Right now I'm 1.75mts tall weighing 73 kgs (5.9" and 161lbs), so I fight in 155lbs. Remember I'm a newbie, so I don't touch the scale before fighting, except someone thinks I'm laying. All at the time I fight, so I can't dehydrate or anything like that.

My goal is to lose 5 kilos, so i can fight in 65 kilos living with 68.

What do you think about some old school MT conditioning: running, jump rope and sparring. Some heavy bag when my partner is not available.

Thanks.

I saw the best results in my conditioning when I regularly started doing 5 mile runs. Although- I was already in decent shape when I did that. Was doing a lot of sparring/calisthenics/hiit style workouts such as stuff that Ross Enamait does. But I started doing long slow jogs just to make losing weight easier and I instantly felt better sparring in the gym after a few weeks.

I say go for it. The old-school guys did it because it works.

But remember no amount of conditioning can ever replace sparring.

I saw the best results in my conditioning when I regularly started doing 5 mile runs. Although- I was already in decent shape when I did that. Was doing a lot of sparring/calisthenics/hiit style workouts such as stuff that Ross Enamait does. But I started doing long slow jogs just to make losing weight easier and I instantly felt better sparring in the gym after a few weeks.

Well you are really encouraging me. I also do a lot of HIIT, and if you say it was a game changer, it's the proof of what I was thinking.

My sparring will continue being included in the two classes I mentioned and whenever we can with my friend who lives in the same building, so we can always find a spot.

Thanks!!

High volume, low-to-moderate intensity conditioning at high frequencies definitely works for boxing and kickboxing. Given the number of rounds and their work/rest ratio, it's a really strong determinant of performance.

If you want to, you can maintain 90ish percent of your strength with extremely low volume and frequency lifting, as long as you hit moderately high intensities

I agree with this.

I was jogging 5 miles 3 days at week while doing kickboxing another 3 days and I had the best cardio by far in my gym. It was amazing how I was able to finish a class ready to start another one. Most of the guys were destroyed.

I also think it has a lot to do with which kind of training you do in your classes. We had at least 45 minutes of non-stop conditioning before we even put our gloves.

If it works for something, Diaz bros run a LOT before their trainings (I remembre Joe Schilling saying that in an interview) and prime Fedor used to jog like 12-15km a day (7,5 - 9,4 miles).

If you want to go lower in weight this should work.

Good luck.

Edit:
PS: Try it out and then come back and tell us how it worked. In 2 weeks you should feel the difference.

High volume, low-to-moderate intensity conditioning at high frequencies definitely works for boxing and kickboxing. Given the number of rounds and their work/rest ratio, it's a really strong determinant of performance.

If you want to, you can maintain 90ish percent of your strength with extremely low volume and frequency lifting, as long as you hit moderately high intensities

Sorry, i didn't get the second part. Could you explain? Thanks

Thanks SalvadorAllende!! Where u from?

(Gracias, ¿de dónde sos? Yo entreno en Almagro, en AKIBO. ¿Conocés?)
Cuando era pibe entrenaba en Morón (ahora se llama Dojo Ares) y desde que me mudé a Capital voy y vengo de LKM Gym (Alvarez Thomas e Incas, Belgrano/V. Ortuzar, gym chiquito pero con buena onda). Hace un tiempito estuve viviendo en Hurlingham y entrené en Boxer gym también. No me gustó mucho pero organizan tremenos eventos (el organizador resultó ser el que me introdujo a KB/MT).
A Akibo averigué para ir pero me quedaba más cerca LKM.
Una vez fui a MTA, en Diagonal (microcentro) y me pareció lejos el lugar mejor equipado pero la onda de los profes no me cabió (capaz que yo el jodido, pero están más metidos con los pibes que compiten y no con los que hacemos recreativo).

For everyone else non-speakin spanish.. we both live in Buenos Aires and exchanged info about they gyms we trained in. Good to see a local sherdogger.

I agree with this.

I was jogging 5 miles 3 days at week while doing kickboxing another 3 days and I had the best cardio by far in my gym. It was amazing how I was able to finish a class ready to start another one. Most of the guys were destroyed.

I also think it has a lot to do with which kind of training you do in your classes. We had at least 45 minutes of non-stop conditioning before we even put our gloves.

If it works for something, Diaz bros run a LOT before their trainings (I remembre Joe Schilling saying that in an interview) and prime Fedor used to jog like 12-15km a day (7,5 - 9,4 miles).

If you want to go lower in weight this should work.

Good luck.

Edit:
PS: Try it out and then come back and tell us how it worked. In 2 weeks you should feel the difference.

Well the problem is that i'm lifting the days which i'm gonna run.

Didn't think about the Diaz Bros, you're right. But they run before their trainings?

Where I train we have conditioning before the gloves too. It's more body weight circuit training, very different to 5 mile run or lifting weights.

I was in the weight room many years and it had some grat results, but i'm feeling it's not really helping me. That's why I'd like to make a change.

Well the problem is that i'm lifting the days which i'm gonna run.

Didn't think about the Diaz Bros, you're right. But they run before their trainings?

Where I train we have conditioning before the gloves too. It's more body weight circuit training, very different to 5 mile run or lifting weights.

I was in the weight room many years and it had some grat results, but i'm feeling it's not really helping me. That's why I'd like to make a change.
Yes.. Diaz Bros run before their trainings iirc (will try to find a source). But they also compete in triathlons so they are another kind of athlete. If you notice, they are not very muscular (at all) but they can put a really high pace.

Weight training is good but it depends on how. For example, Im following more like a hypertrophy routine (heavy main lifts and then bunch of isolated excs) and I feel heavier, slower and more tired than before. I hit harder but for about 10 minutes. And Im still really light (61kgs, 170cm / was 58kgs with a little more bodyfat last year).

You can hit the weights but it all depends on the approach.
Compounds like squats, deadlifts or overheadpress can do miracles for you but I would not waste time doing curls and stuff like that.

Yes.. Diaz Bros run before their trainings iirc (will try to find a source). But they also compete in triathlons so they are another kind of athlete. If you notice, they are not very muscular (at all) but they can put a really high pace.

Weight training is good but it depends on how. For example, Im following more like a hypertrophy routine (heavy main lifts and then bunch of isolated excs) and I feel heavier, slower and more tired than before. I hit harder but for about 10 minutes. And Im still really light (61kgs, 170cm / was 58kgs with a little more bodyfat last year).

Compounds like squats, deadlifts or overheadpress can do miracles for you but I would not waste time doing curls and stuff like that.

:eek::eek:

Preview.jpg

Nonono... I've already go further that "curling all tha time" phase. I`m going for deadlifts, bench, squat and military press. But it takes a while too, the strenght training is like that.

I try to put a minute or two of jumping rope between series.-

What's the blasphemy?
Curls cure cancer, and is responsible for all technological advancements for mankind.

All other lifeforms have small biceps, and its a clear reason why we're at the top of the food chain.

Only idiots say its intelligence, when really, its our dedication to the curls for the gurls

Alright. I assume you're joking. I was waiting j123 serious opinion.

when did running, jumping rope, and sparring become "old school"?

when did running, jumping rope, and sparring become "old school"?

Just running, jumping rope and sparring.

I consider it old school with all that band training, functional, crossfit, and so much weightlifting.

But OK if u say that classics never go old. I just liked the term.

Back