old maia vs old jacare

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BJJ_Rage, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    can we say that maia is right now the best bjj representative in mma?

Maia is older than jaca, but he has adapted his game to his age better than jaca. Unlike jaca, maia doesnt stay in striking range nor does he fuck around much standing. I guess we could say jacare shouldve mixed up better in order to get more tds yesterday, thats one way to see it. But what he did was try a few clinches, not really commited to most the times he got to the clinch, and then basically stood in front of robert like a sitting duck, Robert had a good game plan similar to how overeem came out vs brock, hands down watching for jacares double attempts. It seems to me that jacares game suffer a lot from aging (or usada), he lost explosiveness, A LOT. this hurt his game too much, on the other hand, maia was never dependent on explosiveness, maia basically just shoots trying to get a hold of something and drags the fight to the ground or forces the clinch agasint the cage, where hes relentless and is very good at trips running the pipe or taking the back.

Maia is facing a fighter somewhat similiar to robert, masvidal is a scrappy striker hard to keep down, he may not have whitakkers power, but his boxing is outstanding... we shall see.

thoughts?

2. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler
    I would say so, yes

Maia is very good at stand up/the neutral game; and when i say he's good at stand up, it's because his neutral game does exactly what he needs it too: getting his opponent on down and on top of them.

3. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    would you care to elaborate more on the neutral game? first time I hear about it... thanks

4. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler

I've said it before; there are very few fighters that actually parlay different facets of MMA in organic, MMA specific manners. For many guys who come from submission grappling backgrounds, you can often visibly tell when they switch between 'striking' mindset and 'grappling' mindset. With Maia, there is no disconnect; his punches have the exact same intention as his single leg: getting you onto the ground.

He is mobile on the feet and doesnt expose himself to wild shots while staying ready to jump in on opportunities, and is competent at poking his opponent with the jab safely to test how they intend to react. Sometimes people are so afraid of his single leg that they actually let him box them up for free for a few exchanges. Then they get this dumb look on their face like 'fuck i just got boxed up for free, i gotta pay him back for that', and thats when he takes them down.

For instance, he way he timed Condit off the stance change was simply masterful; it feels like every time he steps into the cage hes become even better than he was last time.

The only other guys i can think of right now who've got comprable sorts of 'organic' grappling game plans are Tim Eliot and Demetrious Johnson.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    yes, kind of funny that the most dangerous weapon is his akward head to the outside single... I totally agree with you, guys are terrified of his single, hell his whole guard game revolves at standing up on a single, of course then comes hell once hes on top, but his single if a freaking nightmare for his opponents.

6. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i just hope maia doesn't suddenly look old, too.

he's 39, so it will inevitably come one day, i just hope he can hold it off until he gets his well deserved title shot.

but the gods are cruel and i fear masvidal will catch him with some bullshit.

winterbike, vodkaBearSnow and TheGZA like this.
  7. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    age doesnt affect his game as much as does to jacare, although, gassing is a problem, since hes constantly pressuring his oppenent, 5 rounds fights are going to be his cryptonite these next years coming...

but damn it, I got a bad feeling about jorge either...

8. Bubblun Purple Belt

Bubblun
    The difference is Whittaker is a young explosive beast, hard to hold down meanwhile Maia took down guys that have very bad takedown defense.
    Masvidal is actually a more difficult match up for Maia than Condit, Masvidal can wrestle and make Maia work.

There is nothing that prove that Jacare and Maia are out of their primes.
    Interview from a month ago Jacare says he feel 25, and an interview from a week ago his trainer says he is getting better every fight.

9. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Yea there is, your eyes, watch Jacares fight from 3 years ago and if you can't see the difference, go check your eyes... Jacar won't be saying, "yeah man I feel old" dude was renegotiating his contract and you expect him to say that he's out of his prime?

jaca didn't even had the chance to grapple, except that one scramble, he was a walking target... Is style changed a lot, Whitaker played his part very well also, not taking anything away from him,...

vodkaBearSnow likes this.
  10. Bubblun Purple Belt

Bubblun
    Probably USADA, he has a little more bodyfat but the guy still a beast, if he says he feels great and hes trainer says he is improving i believe them.

11. ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

ThatBJJGuy
    youre not going to be the same leaness at late 30's as you were early 20's

Calibur likes this.
  12. ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

ThatBJJGuy
    I just love how every maia fight people say "oh he wont take him down...... he wont hold him down....he'll get knocked out" and everytime MAIA proves everybody wrong and then these people arent seen until the next fight saying the same old shit.

Maia will take you down....take your back and choke you.

TheGZA, mattemate and BJJ_Rage like this.
  13. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    I have no doubt usada has a lot to do... But aging too... These guys are pro athletes they've been wrecking their bodies for over 20 years, it's really not weird to see guys aging dramatically in a couple of years,.. genetics play a huge part.. Speed and explosiveness are the first things that go with age, that's just what happened to jaca... No doubt he's a beast, just not the beast he once was

TheGZA likes this.
  14. Vile White Belt

Vile
    Slight off-topic. Do they have proper PED-testing at high level grappling competitions?

15. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler

Outside of ones in the olympics, not really no.

(legalize PEDs imo).

Silverblur likes this.
  16. mattemate Brown Belt

mattemate
    Maia has honed his JJ perfectly for MMA. Jacare tried to become a more complete fighter. His JJ is sick but at this point less refined than maia's, especially for MMA. Maia only does a few things, everyone knows what they are, and still no one can stop it.

On a side note, it's been a few years but does anyone remember the footage of Maia rolling with Marcelo at Marcelo's academy? Sure, it was a gym roll and in someone else's gym you're not gonna go all out, but Marcelo had his way with him.

So regrettable that he only had that one fight. There's no telling what he might have done given more time.

ThatBJJGuy likes this.
  17. Bubblun Purple Belt

Bubblun
    You mean Marcelo and Maia rolling?
    Maia goes to New York every training camp to train at Marcelo's and Edge Hoboken, a wrestling gym full of other UFC and Bellator fighters.

There is a photo from a week ago of Braulio, Matheus Diniz and Maia taken after "rolling".

BJJ_Rage and mattemate like this.
  18. mrsenor Yellow Card

mrsenor
    jacare had the better run in the mw division against better competition

19. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    I wasn't talking about who had the greatest career, but who's the best bjj representative right now... Jacare of 3 yards ago was a beast, but he ain't the same Anymore, Maia doesn't seem to have been affected so much by aging this he's looking much better now that what Jacare is doing. I do agree that jaca has had so far the better overall career

20. BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

BJJ Coffee Drinker
    WTF?! Maia fought Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight belt and didn't get finished. Jacare proably will never get a shot again

Maia took down Chael Sonnen, and although he lost, outstruck Chris Weidman. Jacare hasnt approached the level of competition Maia fought at middleweight

Il Wop-O likes this.