Old lady from California goes to live in the “Deep South”

I'm a straight up city slicker, truly, from the north. I am definitively a "Yankee" born & raised, no doubt about it.

with that said, I have family down south & I've experienced nothing but love down there. then again, they all thought I was in the military because I rock a high fade.
I'm a northerner too.

There's assholes floor to ceiling in this country, its not a regional thing.

We all are way more alike than we are unalike, but it's not a separation of north and south. It's cities versus rural communities. I support exposing yourself to the other side, but it would be a good start to know where the other side is.

Good for her. More people should take a stab at actually getting to know people they feel have stark ideological differences with. There’s more common ground than you think, and even if you don’t come to agree with any of their views, if the discussion stays open I’m sure you’ll at least see that there are fair arguments to support how a person can feel the way they do about an issue and still be a rational and logical person

this bbc series brought people from opposing views together for a week, ones about pro and anti cannabis folks, the other sends a couple of homophobes to live with a gay couple.
there are others in the series.

Last edited:
Why does a university professor in sociology and an author think that people in the South are a bunch of KKK members? How do these people get into their positions without basic knowledge of how humans live?

she was appalled that they didnt even have a Whole Foods

I have lived in lots of different places and cultures.

- Everyone wants their children to have a better life than they did.
- Everyone wants to belong in a sense of community.
- Sports is a great default conversation in all countries.

We all are way more alike than we are unalike, but it's not a separation of north and south. It's cities versus rural communities. I support exposing yourself to the other side, but it would be a good start to know where the other side is.
The place she lived isn't exactly rural though. Well, a city with over 70,000 people isn't "rural" to me at least.

The place she lived isn't exactly rural though. Well, a city with over 70,000 people isn't "rural" to me at least.
It's not. It's another stupidity I've been reading a lot these past few years. If you don't live in NYC or LA you're rural nowadays it seems. There is also this idea that all republicans are rural and live by hunting and planting corn.

In fact, only 15% of the US population lives in rural areas. A lot of them are not even republicans. There are many mexican-american and black rural communities, something like 25% of all rural people are minorities, mostly democrats.

It would be more interesting if she went somewhere where she's more noticeably "the other."

It's not. It's another stupidity I've been reading a lot these past few years. If you don't live in NYC or LA you're rural nowadays it seems. There is also this idea that all republicans are rural and live by hunting and planting corn.

In fact, only 15% of the US population lives in rural areas. A lot of them are not even republicans. There are many mexican-american and black rural communities, something like 25% of all rural people are minorities, mostly democrats.
Yeah, Lake Charles isn't even 50% white.

That's kind of sad considering that those people are literally voting against their own interests most of the time and either don't realize it or don't care.
Cool that you know other people's interest

File this under no shit Sherlock.

That's kind of sad considering that those people are literally voting against their own interests most of the time and either don't realize it or don't care.

lol. this guy hasn't even reached poly sci 101 yet.

Why does a university professor in sociology and an author think that people in the South are a bunch of KKK members? How do these people get into their positions without basic knowledge of how humans live?

these progressive neo liberals in California, Massachusetts and New York City live in an enclosed bubble of mass delusion.

thank god for the electoral college or we would have these incompetent shitlibs making all the decisions for the entire country.

I've lived in rural & urban California, and "urban" Kansas (Wichita) and spent a lot of time in rural Kansas. People by and large are the same; they're guilty of the same sins abstractly. I've known backwoods rednecks and west-coast college students who try to shout-down/insult away opposing argument. And at the end of the day we all want the same things; safety, prosperity and good health.

I want a jet pack.

Back