Old and bigger tvs

Miss the 'box TV' era. Simultaneously ended the same time video stores/Blockbuster did.

I had an old Sony TV that was the size of a garden shed. Salvation Army wouldn't accept that shit because they didn't want to carry it around the shop. In the end I just put it up on Kijiji as a freebie and an hour later some Mexicans were around collecting it. Sorted.

Play vintage video game systems on them. Watch VHS tapes.

Just a couple months ago I got rid of my last "old" TV (you know those that have a huge backside) to be honest the only reason I got rid of it was because my dad bought a new TV in his house and told me that if I install it I could take his old TV (which was a flat screen one) if I wouldnt have gotten that TV I wouldnt have replaced it. I never saw a purpose to buying a new one, I hardly ever turned on that old TV in my room, I wasnt going to buy a new one just because of the sake of buying it, the old TV was working fine the very few times I turned it on

Remember big screen tv's?

rca1-759220.JPG

Quality was meh but man, having that giant tv in the middle of your house made you a complete boss.

You gotta put it in a corner so nobody can see the back

Then you were cruisin once you got TiVo

Remember big screen tv's?

rca1-759220.JPG

Quality was meh but man, having that giant tv in the middle of your house made you a complete boss.
I still use a 65" like that. About once a year I have to replace the bulb, they're about $30 now.
It does 1080p so I'm going to keep using it until it dies, that and I'm to lazy to move the heavy bastard

you can find so much stuff that is still in relatively good shape on the streets. here in san francisco, it's especially prevalent. maybe because so many people move in and move out, that they don't want to deal with having to sell it or take it to the dump. you can literally find huge t.v.'s, monitors, printers, sofa's, chairs, etc. everyone wants the latest gadget, so they throw away shit that's still relatively new.

Best Buy recycles TV's, but some of the stores have a size limit. I have a 36" CRT TV in a storage closet in my basement that probably weighs 200lbs. It's was the biggest size round screen tv you could get at the time.

36" doesn't sound that big these days, but given the aspect ratio a 36" CRTis comparable to a 42" LCD.

You gotta put it in a corner so nobody can see the back

Then you were cruisin once you got TiVo

I still rock a Tivo. It has a life time pass on it, so I keep it hooked up in my man cave. It's about 10 years old and will only record one show at a time now since cable tv went 100% digital, but I only really use it to record the non PPV Boxing and MMA fights that I have to miss if I'm out on the weekends.

I have every available cable channel, which all have digital on demand services, so I don't see much use for the extra DVR rental fee. I'm also savvy enough to be able to cut the cord, but I don't mind paying for the convenience.

They want $50 to take projection televisions here and $15 to $35 to take other tvs. I took my dad's apart and cut it into small enough pieces to put in garbage bags. It was easier than loading it whole. I think they might take them cheaper at certain times of the year when the county sponsors it. Many people throw them in ditches at night.

You can also move them to a storage unit. There were some guys in the area that would pick the stuff up for 1/2 of what the other recyclers charged. They would rent a storage locker or 2 for a month, fill it up, not pay the next months rent and move on to another storage company.

They did the same thing with tires. Most places charged $5/tire. They charged $3 and rented a larger warehouse space. The owner of the building gave them the first month free and a discounted rate for the next 5 months with a stipulation that he owned anything they left in the building if they failed to pay the rent by the first of the month. They filled the building with tires in 3 months and the building owner had to pay to get rid of them.

Just leave it outside your house like you would with your weekly trash, with a sign on it that says "Still works".

Someone is bound to pick it up within 24 hours.
My neighbor is always doing that shit
I live on the corner and one day I looked out and saw a washer/dryer and one of those cat jungle gym things in front of my house and Im like "What the fuck Jeff!"
By the time I put on pants and shoes to go tell him to quit being an asshole that shit was already gone lol
Next time he did it it only took a few minutes for someone to pull over and knock on my door asking if I was throwing that stuff away cause they'd take it if I dont want it
People love free shit

Back