Okuri Ashi Harai Foot Sweep

I feel bad for current judoka that came/are coming up in the age of no leg attacks. Especially those who want to use judo as a base for MMA. You'd have to think a good judo guy WITH leg attacks would be hell on wheels.
Yeah lucky for me I train in a BJJ academy where the guys are interested to do stand up in most classes so is fun to leave the olympic rules out for a while.

That looked completely ass-backwards to me. Can it work? Sure. Do you lose all of the kuzushi from cutting the arm under, and "steering wheel" from tsurite? Absolutely. Not to mention that they are free to post, leading to an un-clean landing. Not my favorite demo.

That looked completely ass-backwards to me. Can it work? Sure. Do you lose all of the kuzushi from cutting the arm under, and "steering wheel" from tsurite? Absolutely. Not to mention that they are free to post, leading to an un-clean landing. Not my favorite demo.
It's a hard move!! There's definitely a "generic" way of showing it without the details in the timing and the direction of the sweep, and the placement, and all the handwork, etc. While I appreciate trying to spread the gospel, seems like these "generic" how-tos are doing the technique a disservice.

Yeah I have read a bit about the rule changes. I guess I makes sense from the IOCs perspective though. If juoka are allowed to shoot doubles and singles the sport would be too similar to wrestling. Im guessing bc of the rule changes most judo schools aren't teaching leg attacks like singles/doubles anymore. Correct?

In Germany all judo schools I have seen follow olympic rules.

In Germany all judo schools I have seen follow olympic rules.
How is Germany's judo? I know you guys have been really doing well in Greco. Have a 3x world champ and Olympic gold medal contender in Frank Stabler.

How is Germany's judo? I know you guys have been really doing well in Greco. Have a 3x world champ and Olympic gold medal contender in Frank Stabler.

Quite honestly I wouldn't know. I am a shitty judoka that doesn't follow the scene so not sure how it compares.

As a footsweep loving judoka, think of the foot sweep as the grappling version of a jab and I think you'll find them significantly more useful.
I went to my first ever judo class today and one of the first things the coach told me was to think of foot sweeps as jabs in boxing, and it made me smile internally thinking of this thread :)

I went to my first ever judo class today and one of the first things the coach told me was to think of foot sweeps as jabs in boxing, and it made me smile internally thinking of this thread :)

Because it's true!

Also when some panzy tells you "judo means the gentle way" keep in mind that it means "gentler than dueling to the death". Some of the more famous judoka in history were infamous for concussing everyone who sparred them.

In Chinese martial arts there is a distinction of soft and hard arts and soft and hard training.

Elderly tai ji class = soft art trained softly.

In general they would consider competitive grappling of all styles to be soft martial arts that are trained hard, or soft-hard styles.

It's normal to train hard and that isn't a conflict with the real meaning of the term "ju" in Judo.

This is in Korea so I'm not overly concerned with anyone thinking it's soft, I don't think Koreans do anything softly :D

Back