Okuri Ashi Harai Foot Sweep

What is best in life?

Launch your friends, see them fly before you, hear the lamentations of their women

I have done one of these ever in my life. Wasn't a clean one where I get air time and they crash on the mat but it was good enough. It was awesome.

It seems the foot sweep is fairly underused in wresting and MMA when you'd think itd be a pretty high percentage technique. I like Mark Schultz take on it, which is basically to kick the leg so even if the move is not successful you nail your opponent with a blast double right after.

And this reminds me, the ther day I was in a thread discussing the differences in physicality and aggression between wresting and judo. This is kinda what I was talking about. And I realize that not all wrestlers sweep like Mark Schultz but it seems more common to me that you'll see this sort of thing in wrestling and the other, more technical, timing based execution of the sweep in judo.

It seems the foot sweep is fairly underused in wresting and MMA when you'd think itd be a pretty high percentage technique. I like Mark Schultz take on it, which is basically to kick the leg so even if the move is not successful you nail your opponent with a blast double right after.

And this reminds me, the ther day I was in a thread discussing the differences in physicality and aggression between wresting and judo. This is kinda what I was talking about. And I realize that not all wrestlers sweep like Mark Schultz but it seems more common to me that you'll see this sort of thing in wrestling and the other, more technical, timing based execution of the sweep in judo.

Done this in Judo.

But Eastern Bloc school with strong sambo influences.

did you do it backwards for framing? not that it's wrong, but canonically you kinda stop their face with your high grip while you push the elbow into the hip with the sleeve grip and sweep their foot, then keep ahold of the sleeve grip to get them to land flat and to attack with jujigatame.

your way works too. it sucks for uke since they can't slap if you don't let go, but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the circumstances.

Done this in Judo.

But Eastern Bloc school with strong sambo influences.
That makes sense. In sambo the blast double would be an opton after a failed foot sweep. Not so with judo, correct?

Foot sweeps are hilariously effective when hit with perfect timing, but the reality is they are low percentage because that window is so short.

That makes sense. In sambo the blast double would be an opton after a failed foot sweep. Not so with judo, correct?

It used to be. We called it Morote Gari. It's one of the Kodokan throws.

IOC f's everything up.

It used to be. We called it Morote Gari. It's one of the Kodokan throws.

IOC f's everything up.
Yeah I have read a bit about the rule changes. I guess I makes sense from the IOCs perspective though. If juoka are allowed to shoot doubles and singles the sport would be too similar to wrestling. Im guessing bc of the rule changes most judo schools aren't teaching leg attacks like singles/doubles anymore. Correct?

nice! likely be penalised in judo/bjj though, and make no friends in training haha

did you do it backwards for framing? not that it's wrong, but canonically you kinda stop their face with your high grip while you push the elbow into the hip with the sleeve grip and sweep their foot, then keep ahold of the sleeve grip to get them to land flat and to attack with jujigatame.

your way works too. it sucks for uke since they can't slap if you don't let go, but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the circumstances.

yeh i just went that way for the video, however i've found in sparring i'll sweep both ways depending on movement once my grips are set. what you say is 100% correct and that armbar was something we worked in class, it's great cause they're still reeling from the throw and you catch them :D

you reckon? i dunno man

How often do you see them work in judo competitions? They are thrown out by competitors in blizzards, almost like leg kicks in kickboxing, but rarely do they actually take people down. Great for feinting and setting up attacks, sure, but just not a high percentage TD. Any more than they are in wrestling.
Among BJJ competitors the only one I can recall who seems to have good success with foot sweeps is Rodolfo.

Don’t get me wrong, they are a rad, useful, and near magical technique when you hit them, but you can’t force them through a big window like you can with some of the more power-driven moves.

I like drilling these, because when you look around the room, it's like a bunch of people going down a big drop on a roller coaster, the looks of terror and delight on their faces while they feel weightless.

Gerbil BJJ posted a thread a few years ago of him being taken down twice in a tournament with it.

How often do you see them work in judo competitions? They are thrown out by competitors in blizzards, almost like leg kicks in kickboxing, but rarely do they actually take people down. Great for feinting and setting up attacks, sure, but just not a high percentage TD. Any more than they are in wrestling.
Among BJJ competitors the only one I can recall who seems to have good success with foot sweeps is Rodolfo.

Don’t get me wrong, they are a rad, useful, and near magical technique when you hit them, but you can’t force them through a big window like you can with some of the more power-driven moves.
I definitely agree. I found this article for the top used judo throws and their percentage of success:
https://theartofbalancedojo.com/blogs/news/which-techniques-are-the-workhorses-of-international-judo
Apparently the top 5 most used throws are: Uchi Mata, Ippon Seoi Nage, Eri Seoi Nage and Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi. Interestingly, Osoto Gari was the 10th most used throw, but the most effective.

Back