Okay I'm officially Bored of trash talking

It's all WWE shit and very unappealing. I haven't watched any hype shit from the UFC for a while now because everyone is deciding to turn into a racist Hulk Hogan (I'm talking about the wrestling character not the person Terry) or prejudice John Cena. If they were real, they'd be psychopaths, but they're not because they were quiet little church mice until Conor started going off like the Rock on meth. Now everyone is trying to be Stone Cold Steve Austin, crushing beer cans of fake insults over each other's heads like it's some fucking circus. Really they're all just clowns to me now, and I got over liking clowns when I was 7. The beer cans turned into confetti, and that's just stupid.

yeah-right.gif

Everyone knows I dislike Conrad, but he is very witty and perceptive and has very cutting remarks that sting to the person that its meant for.

I know what you mean.

Before Conor, I was more than happy listening to every cookie-cutter mma fighter talking about how they just wanted to feed their family on ufc embedded.

Every weigh-in show was so respectful to Bruce Lee - handshakes and bowing.

Combat sport beef is for 14 year old boys, and heels have NO place in the entertainment industry...or a Saturday night!!!

Marketing firms and twitter are slowly removing all reality from trash talk, and it's apparent.

There was a big push to give these guys characters, and every marketing firm told them all the same thing: "sell them like pro wrestlers". The idea was more promo time, more trash talk = more interest in fights. It worked in some spots(Chael) and failed miserably in others (JDS in Flames on Fox). But now that's been merged with marketing strategies employed in social media, and they're literally reading metrics of clicks and views on specific words just to promote. Sadly the UFC is running with this since the success of Conor, and is actually evaluating talent based on how talked about online they are.

That's how we end up with guys like Colby. He's a terrible trash talker. Whoever writes his shit is painfully bland. But that translates to clicks and views, so it's ok. It's even ok that his fighting style sucks, because they're selling hiim as a bad guy. And bad guys can be boring.

Late 2000's this sport took a hard left turn and not many noticed. When they ran into gold with Conor, they doubled down on ideas that should've never worked.

The one's who lose out are actual fight fans, who don't give a shit that "____ got DESTROYIFICATED by _____ on twitter!!!"

When trash talking becomes just a negotiation tool it just feels dumb.

MMA has always been a circus.

Want a real sport? The FIFA World Cup will start tomorrow.

Everyone knows I dislike Conrad, but he is very witty and perceptive and has very cutting remarks that sting to the person that its meant for.
You're right, it is most likely that Colby would out wrestled Conor in an actual fight and beat him, but Conor is on another level when it comes to trash talk. Colby is just a pretender.

Yeah never been big on trash talk. I'll occasionally find some exchanges fun but it gets old quick.

1737562.png

I don't mind it either way. Like if Conor McGregor never talked he would still have KOed all those guys. Makes no difference to me.
There is an argument to be made that getting under his opponents skin makes them more aggressive and thus easier to counter. I'd say it affected the Aldo fight if nothing else

i was just wondering if any woman fighter does the whole chael/colby/tito/tank/bisping mouthy asshole routine to sell ppvs

and ronda did not.

i was just wondering if any woman fighter does the whole chael/colby/tito/tank/bisping mouthy asshole routine to sell ppvs

and ronda did not.
Ronda did. You do realize she had like 3 1+ million PPV cards

When it's good it's great. The issue is it's usually just prefab.

Let the guys and gals be themselves. Let Stipe be the pissy firefighter dad. Let the hespectful Brazilian be that.

Colby is an asshole so I guess....

I don’t like trash talkers, but I love watching them get humbled so I guess I’m a fan of their fights.

I don't mind it either way. Like if Conor McGregor never talked he would still have KOed all those guys. Makes no difference to me.

If McGregor never talked, he would never have gotten the fights that he got with all those guys. You get title shots and "money fights" for your personality, not just for your fighting skills, which I have a problem with.

Real trash talk is good...Like Jon Jones/DC. Like a Diaz brother/anyone...But this scripted Colby shit is tiresome. Him repeating the same thing over and over again...Get the fuck out of here with it.

Bums me out that fighters feel compelled to pretend they hate every opponent and their opponents family, country, clothes, hair, sunglasses, favorite beverage, dog, and car. It’s fake and not entertaining. I’m not interested in seeing it and often avoid watching interviews with fighters that do it.

Back