Ok to use sparing gloves on pads??

RDL81

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello quick question if ok.

I training boxing not MMA

I have 14oz fairtex gloves I currently use all the time ie heavy bag / Aqua Bag and focus mitt pad work with partners.

I have recently brought some 16oz gloves I plan to start sparing in, they are lace ups. If I am doing mixed session ie pads and sparing I assume its ok to just use these? I assume when people say you should have different training and sparing gloves I assume that's a separate comment mainly relating to bag work??

Imo, you should be ok. Pad work is not as hard on the glove padding compare to bag work.

Sparring glove padding is not as dense as bag gloves, so will compress overtime. Just be conscious of this and check with your sparring partners if they find its becoming harder.

Heavier gloves on mitts will make you a bit slower to respond. It depends on the purpose of your focus mitt workout if that is okay.

I think the saying of using different gloves for sparring and bag work comes from a time when boxing gloves were filled with horsehair and cotton balls. Back then the padding would compress and erode from sweat rather quickly. That's why you would use sparring gloves just for that. Well, there are still a lot of gloves on the market that are of poor quality, but the better brands will have polyurethane padding of some kind that should hold up in both for 2 or 3 years.

Heavier gloves on mitts will make you a bit slower to respond. It depends on the purpose of your focus mitt workout if that is okay.

I think the saying of using different gloves for sparring and bag work comes from a time when boxing gloves were filled with horsehair and cotton balls. Back then the padding would compress and erode from sweat rather quickly. That's why you would use sparring gloves just for that. Well, there are still a lot of gloves on the market that are of poor quality, but the better brands will have polyurethane padding of some kind that should hold up in both for 2 or 3 years.

Heavier gloves for bag work and mitt work in my opinion is beneficial because it allows your muscles to get used to swinging heavier gloves around so when you get to the point of having an actual fight you won't notice the lighter fight gloves at all.

At minute I am mainly using my 14oz fairtex BGV9 for the bags and cleto reyes for sparing but not sparing that much as only just really started training, so sparred with a experienced friend just not at my club yet.

At minute I am mainly using my 14oz fairtex BGV9 for the bags and cleto reyes for sparing but not sparing that much as only just really started training, so sparred with a experienced friend just not at my club yet.
How do you find the hand compartment of the cletos compared to the bgv9s?

How do you find the hand compartment of the cletos compared to the bgv9s?

The cleto seem tighter even though they are 16oz vs the fairtex 14oz. I prefer the cleto all round to be honest but I think the fairtex are great cheap bag gloves if that makes sense. Also my cleto are lace ups and the bgv9 are not. I am happy with what I each of them for. I would like to try some winnings at some point but just so expensive but I really like my winnings headguard

Back