Ok.. so... automated telemarketers - how do I fight back?

FascistDictator

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I've begun to suspect that 5Dimes sold my personal info and my phone gets called several times a day by telemarketers. A lot of the time it's something about "car warranty, press 1 to speak to somebody" or some shit. Some of them are even in Spanish.

Every time I get ahold of someone I make a bomb threat but it doesn't seem to help.

Any advice?

You know what to do
post-60128-how-fast-was-Mike-Tyson-boxing-71Cv.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Landline or Mobile?

Actually, either way the answer is to change your number.

For a modest fee all you need to do is send me your email, address, and social security number and I'll take care of those pesky telemarketers!

Anyone who cold calls people deserves to die

If you're in the US, get on the do not call list and report every unwanted call. They recommend hanging up on robocalls. I has helped but I suspect the Trump justice department will be lax with enforcement. Don't answer calls if the caller ID information doesn't show up or if you only get a number and not a name.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/versatile-way-get-around-do-not-call-list

Just ignore it, like a normal person?

Put yourself on the do not call list then report it if they call you again

A man targeted by marketing companies is making money from cold calls with his own higher-rate phone number.

In November 2011 Lee Beaumont paid £10 plus VAT to set up his personal 0871 line - so to call him now costs 10p, from which he receives 7p.

The Leeds businessman told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme that the line had so far made £300.

Phone Pay Plus, which regulates premium numbers, said it strongly discouraged people from adopting the idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

Back in July, Mr Herman answered a call from an overseas call centre inviting him to make a PPI claim, he decided to stay on the line.

He answered the caller's questions until he was eventually passed through to a UK operation, called PPI Claimline, and told them he wanted to be taken off their sales list.

"I said to them, you need to stop calling me and, I said, if you keep calling me, I'll charge you £10 a minute for my time to be talking to you," Mr Herman said, speaking to Radio 4's Money Boxprogramme.

"I presumed that would be the end of it, but to my astonishment they called me again."

During the second call - which came only two days later - Mr Herman waited 19 and a half minutes to be put through to the UK operation, to confirm that it was the same company as before, and to explain that he was now charging for his time.

So, when he got off the phone, he sent an invoice for £195 to PPI Claimline.

At first, he got no response. So Mr Herman sent the invoice again, this time by recorded delivery. PPI Claimline then wrote to him.

The company said it itself did not cold call, but it purchased introductions from other marketing companies including AAC, a UK company based in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, which uses the overseas call centre that had first called Mr Herman and passed him on to PPI Claimline.

The company said there was no record of Mr Herman's number in its database or that of any of its partner companies.

But Mr Herman had recorded the phone calls. So, stepping up his consumer assertiveness another gear, he filed a case in the small claims court.

And that seemed to do the trick and the case was settled before it went to court.

AAC, the company which had called Mr Herman on behalf of PPI Claimline, paid him £195 for his time and electricity, as well as his £25 court costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927

A man targeted by marketing companies is making money from cold calls with his own higher-rate phone number.

In November 2011 Lee Beaumont paid £10 plus VAT to set up his personal 0871 line - so to call him now costs 10p, from which he receives 7p.

The Leeds businessman told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme that the line had so far made £300.

Phone Pay Plus, which regulates premium numbers, said it strongly discouraged people from adopting the idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

Back in July, Mr Herman answered a call from an overseas call centre inviting him to make a PPI claim, he decided to stay on the line.

He answered the caller's questions until he was eventually passed through to a UK operation, called PPI Claimline, and told them he wanted to be taken off their sales list.

"I said to them, you need to stop calling me and, I said, if you keep calling me, I'll charge you £10 a minute for my time to be talking to you," Mr Herman said, speaking to Radio 4's Money Boxprogramme.

"I presumed that would be the end of it, but to my astonishment they called me again."

During the second call - which came only two days later - Mr Herman waited 19 and a half minutes to be put through to the UK operation, to confirm that it was the same company as before, and to explain that he was now charging for his time.

So, when he got off the phone, he sent an invoice for £195 to PPI Claimline.

At first, he got no response. So Mr Herman sent the invoice again, this time by recorded delivery. PPI Claimline then wrote to him.

The company said it itself did not cold call, but it purchased introductions from other marketing companies including AAC, a UK company based in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, which uses the overseas call centre that had first called Mr Herman and passed him on to PPI Claimline.

The company said there was no record of Mr Herman's number in its database or that of any of its partner companies.

But Mr Herman had recorded the phone calls. So, stepping up his consumer assertiveness another gear, he filed a case in the small claims court.

And that seemed to do the trick and the case was settled before it went to court.

AAC, the company which had called Mr Herman on behalf of PPI Claimline, paid him £195 for his time and electricity, as well as his £25 court costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927
That's pretty good but it's fucking time consuming. I don't have time for that shit. I just hang up on those assholes.

There's an app called "Should I Answer" that has pretty decent crowd sourced blacklisted phone numbers. You report scam phone numbers through the app and other users will get that phone # blocked.

Also, if you have the time. BS around with the caller. I like to pretend dumb "what's a student loan?" or pretend to get my wallet and put the phone down. They wouldn't cold call people if it doesn't pay off. Waste their time. Aside from getting someone to fall for a scam, the 2nd best thing to happen to a scammer is to get an immediate hang up, so they can move on through more phone #s.

"... it's about an important legal matter. You call us back at...." (in robot voice)

Back