OHP and Powerclean are the GOAT exercises for punching power

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my opinion.

I learned to turn my hips and shoulders into punches so much harder and faster thanks to these two exercises. Another great exercise are weighted pulls ups. I can snap my punches a lot better now due to my stronger upper back and I really feel like powercleans taught me to use my body more as a chain which also applies to throwing punches. I punch much harder at 200 now than I did at 220.

Anything that strengthens and motivates your hips to be used is good.

I prefer punching to improve punching power.
But I also agree with the guy above me that you can't go wrong working on your hips.

Nothing will ever compare to just practicing your technique.

I was gonna comment on using cleans to learn how to twist your hips but then you said it taught you how to use your body as a chain, which makes sense.

Technique is obviously king but strength won't hurt, especially for bigger guys.

Let's assume there are two essentially identical people who both have optimal punching technique. If one of them were to get stronger, he'd punch with more power. Then it's a matter of what to strengthen, and how best to strengthen it. I saw a vid a while back with Ross Enamait throwing dumbbells in his yard. I think that would be a pretty effective movement to train punching power; single-sided, explosive, involving the whole chain...

I think if you could just consider every muscle used to throw an effective punch and add strength without sacrificing flexibility or form, you'd add to your punching power. But it certainly bears repeating over and over that technique improvement in explosive, complicated movements like throwing, jumping, and punching makes a larger overall improvement. That and one's built-in features like their limb lengths and leverages.

Shot putters should have some amazing punching power.

I use to shot put dumbbells at the park, chase (sprint) it down while dragging a sled. Only realized now how stupid I probably looked.

Also, even if we're picking a maximum strength pressing movement, bench would be the superior choice to military press, because when you punch things they're generally in front of you, and your pecs pull your elbows toward your center line

I feel that someone who can fire through the hips will generally have a pretty decent punch on them. Yanno what I mean?
Same with a decent kick, just that ability to twist and throw the hips into a kick.

Also, even if we're picking a maximum strength pressing movement, bench would be the superior choice to military press, because when you punch things they're generally in front of you, and your pecs pull your elbows toward your center line

When you're pressing overhead you need to be tight throughout the whole body: legs, abs, ass, everything. For what I understand that's the key to throw a propper punch, so OHP could serve that propose. Bench press? Not so much.

Splitting firewood by hand with an 8lb maul is great too.

When you're pressing overhead you need to be tight throughout the whole body: legs, abs, ass, everything. For what I understand that's the key to throw a propper punch, so OHP could serve that propose. Bench press? Not so much.

There are no compound non-ballistic lifts that don't require full-body bracing with significant load.

If your entire body isn't tight when you bench then you are doing it wrong.

I'm siding with selfcritical on this but the main reason why OHP and push presses get involved in a fighters training outside of the fact that being strong is good, is that you are standing, So in some capacitance it mimics translational ground forces. However, to ignore bench as being the largest contributor is a bit off. It's also harder to cheat on bench so your power output isn't exactly a lie unless you're rebounding off the chest. It's very easy to cheat in a push press or an OHP though by arching, dropping under during the catch, squatting it up too much etc. However, Both are needed and useful imo.

I'm no fighter, but if your tightening your body while throwing your punch, you will have no hand speed. You probably just want to tighten at the moment of contact to deliver the blow. Fighters correct me if I'm wrong.

@colby25

I'm no fighter, but if your tightening your body while throwing your punch, you will have no hand speed. You probably just want to tighten at the moment of contact to deliver the blow. Fighters correct me if I'm wrong.

@colby25

Yeah I agree with that. Punching power is generated from your butt. Not to sound gay or anything but if you look at some of the greatest punchers alot of times they have huge butts.

a lot of times you'll hear fighters need to 'sit down' on their punches to generate that power. Punching power is a weird thing- I've known guys huge dudes that you would think hit like a brick house and then they start sparring and they push their punches and super stiff and have no power- then you see guys that don't look that intimidating that can hit like a ton of bricks. But who knows maybe overhead press might help some generate more power- whatever works is my motto lol

Jackson had a good explanation besides him acting goofy throughout most of it starts at the third minute:

Back