Ohio vol. Firefighter "One dog is worth a million ******s."

So, we should fire everyone over every racist remark? You sure you want to go there?

if I was black, I'd want a firefighter to save my life because we wanted to, not because he had to, begrudgingly.

Just confirms my opinion that hard-core racists are mentally ill.
I'd say mentally weak. I think racism is almost natural, in a way, based on the way we are wired. But strong people spend their lives overcoming it instead of feeding it.

So, we should fire everyone over every racist remark? You sure you want to go there?

That specific racist remark indicated that he would avoid doing his job properly due to racism.

If they find that there's cause to believe that's true then I'd say this case is worse than that teacher that drew parallels to Nazism when kids were wearing Trump gear. Calling kids Nazis or Hitler Jugend is really stupid, especially as a teacher, but it's obviously not as bad as if someone working with rescuing lives would abandon protocol due to skin color. Maybe some that criticize the condemning of this person would feel differently if a fire fighter said that he wouldn't rescue a Trump supporter?

if I was black, I'd want a firefighter to save my life because we wanted to, not because he had to, begrudgingly.

You would not give a fuck. Regardless if he loves every race of people or not, he is running into burning buildings to save complete strangers. Who cares if he does it for money or hate or if he wants to fuck them or shoot them personally instead of watching them burn.

All that matters is that he can do his job.

If you were in a building on fire and you were black and he wore a KKK hood and was going to rescue you from a fire you would take his hand and thank him after.

That specific racist remark indicated that he would avoid doing his job properly due to racism.

If they find that there's cause to believe that's true then I'd say this case is worse than that teacher that drew parallels to Nazism when kids were wearing Trump gear. Calling kids Nazis or Hitler Jugend is really stupid, especially as a teacher, but it's obviously not as bad as if someone working with rescuing lives would abandon protocol due to skin color. Maybe some that criticize the condemning of this person would feel differently if a fire fighter said that he wouldn't rescue a Trump supporter?

He said some dumb shit in an argument. Do you have any evidence of him not doing his job properly? No, you have him saying some shit he said in the heat of an argument. Doesn't mean shit. Everyone says stupid shit in an argument. Doesn't mean he is going to act on it.

You would not give a fuck. Regardless if he loves every race of people or not, he is running into burning buildings to save complete strangers. Who cares if he does it for money or hate or if he wants to fuck them or shoot them personally instead of watching them burn.

All that matters is that he can do his job.

If you were in a building on fire and you were black and he wore a KKK hood and was going to rescue you from a fire you would take his hand and thank him after.

that's not the point though. Fire Departments have a code & protocols they abide by. they wouldn't risk lives with a guy like that. besides, he was a volunteer. no big loss.

He said some dumb shit in an argument. Do you have any evidence of him not doing his job properly? No, you have him saying some shit he said in the heat of an argument. Doesn't mean shit. Everyone says stupid shit in an argument. Doesn't mean he is going to act on it.
The dumb shit he said was that he wouldn't do his job properly. IE, that he wouldn't rescue black people before a dog.

There's no obligation on the employer to wait and see if that happens. They can take his word for it.

I'd say mentally weak. I think racism is almost natural, in a way, based on the way we are wired. But strong people spend their lives overcoming it instead of feeding it.

Tribalism or racism may be natural but so is rape and murder. I would class racism as a mental deformity just as I would someone who enjoys rape and murder.

People are responsible for what they say so I have no sympathy for people crying about that some get to face the consequences of what they say. You can't badmouth your company and expect to not get warned or get fired, so it's pretty obvious that if a firefighter states that he won't do his job in certain situations he'll be under review (he hasn't been fired yet). Not only is it about him, it's about people's trust in, and view of, the department.

If you're such a huge idiot that you'll state publicly that you won't do your job then you deserve some consequences from the ones that hired you.

And it's still funny to think about how different this thread would be if some with left political leanings would have said that he wouldn't want to rescue Trump supporters or Republicans. There shouldn't be any difference, but there would have been.

If your job is to save lives and you value that of a dog over a human, just because of someone's skin tone and you post racist bile confirming your belief?

Yes, you deserve to lose your job regardless of your skin colour.

Period.

"A recent Facebook back-and-forth caught the 20-year-old writing that in a burning building he would choose to save a dog before an African American because “one dog is more important than a million [expletive],” he wrote, using the n-word."

AAscwj5.img

"Last week, the township’s board of trustees voted to indefinitely suspend Roysdon for “conduct unbecoming a township employee.” Roysdon’s work as a volunteer was a paid position."

He's under indefinite suspension. Why wasn't he fired outright? He made it obvious that he does not value your life if you happen to be Black and are in a fire.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-firefighter-‘one-dog-is-more-important-than-a-million’-african-americans/ar-AAscsea?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Just a guess, but you probably can't technically fire a volunteer.

The guy got paid during the time he was actually answering calls - the town I grew up in did the same thing at 1 time. When an opening in the FD would become available, the volunteer with the most hours the previous yr was given the job.

Just a guess, but you probably can't technically fire a volunteer.

The guy got paid during the time he was actually answering calls - the town I grew up in did the same thing at 1 time. When an opening in the FD would become available, the volunteer with the most hours the previous yr was given the job.

You can decline to accept his volunteering offer. Personally I do not understand the difference between volunteering and part timing. He's doing it part timing in hopes of getting a slot to become full time. He's a trainee and stupid one at that...

it's news because it's evidence that deeply rooted racism still exist in the US and it can be anyone. Shit like this was taught and reinforced...

For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can hate an entire race of people...

Hopefully, it was just a really classless joke and the guy doesn't truly feel this way.

On the flip - wasn't the Charlottesville nazi from Ohio as well? What with all the racism in the North?

Dude looks like an IT nerd dressed in a firefighter costume.

You can decline to accept his volunteering offer. Personally I do not understand the difference between volunteering and part timing. He's doing it part timing in hopes of getting a slot to become full time. He's a trainee and stupid one at that...

I think indefinitely suspended covers that, but yes it's basically a part time thing to get a full time job.

I had a friend that worked for the school maintenance shop and volunteered and they would let him leave to answer calls and make up the time later. Plus all of his training was on weekends. He got the full time job after about 3 years.

Edit: small towns use it as way to avoid hiring a full fire dept. staff. There may be 6 full time firemen, a chief, and the rest are paid volunteers.

Last edited:

People don't say racist shit in the heat of an argument unless they're racist.

Yeah what he stated violates the requirements of his current position. He needs to be gone, of course.

Pls STFU...if that was Obama saying "One dog is worth a million White ppl"....You would fucking have a heart attack, the sherdog thread would have a billion replies in the first minute, and you would cry for impeachment.

This motherfucker, like obama, serves the public. His job is to protect the public, no matter what race, this statement totally goes against protecting the public.....He needs to be fired and never have the opportunity of being a firefighter again.

Back