Yahoo title - Ohio Student suspended for not taking part in Walkout

These are not protests, they are an expression of power.
Yes, I realize that. They are also a very interesting example of the manipulative use of children, adolescents and young adults as social and emotional leverage to try and achieve outcomes their adult sponsors are unable to achieve through reasoned argument or legislation.

Looks like he wasn't required to go to the protest. Issue, per the linked article, was that the alternative to going to the protest was study hall, and he didn't do that either.

The real issue is why are we allowing the Teacher's Union to politicize our children and detract from their education?

Given it's St. Patrick's Day let's try some O'Brian style prognostication.

maxresdefault.jpg

School Walkout for Abortion
School Walkout for DACA
School Walkout for ...

He was suspended for disobeying a directive from the school admin to go to study hall. He would not have been taught if he remained alone in the classroom without supervision.

Students are never supposed to be in classrooms without supervision.

This isn’t complicated

Umm, the teacher would have been in the classroom if not for the school sponsored "walkout".

Looks like he wasn't required to go to the protest. Issue, per the linked article, was that the alternative to going to the protest was study hall, and he didn't do that either.

Which is true. But that in itself brings up the administration sponsoring the protest/walkout.

This kid is actually protesting the whole charade by simply staying in his seat in his class.

The only true protestor at that school was him. Not those participating in the walkout, or complying with the alternative.

Yes, I realize that. They are also a very interesting example of the manipulative use of children, adolescents and young adults as social and emotional leverage to try and achieve outcomes their adult sponsors are unable to achieve through reasoned argument or legislation.
The real issue is why are we allowing the Teacher's Union to politicize our children and detract from their education?
I can almost guarantee you most of the students walking out are taking advantage of the politicized climate to skip a day of class.
Umm, the teacher would have been in the classroom if not for the school sponsored "walkout".
Problem is its easier to suspend one student than it is to suspend dozens if not hundreds so its easier to punish this poor kid over the many students walking out.
The only true protestor at that school was him. Not those participating, or complying with the alternative.
Or maybe he just wanted to lounge around without supervision. Certainly if I was in high school that's what I'd be thinking.

Very misleading title. Not worth the outrage.

I can almost guarantee you most of the students walking out are taking advantage of the politicized climate to skip a day of class.
I'm sure that was also a motivating factor. One can't discount peer pressure either as a motivating factor for participation, or the desire to feel like one is taking part in "something" bigger than themselves regardless of the actual issue.

I understand that, but evidently this isn't a "walkout"; it's a school sponsored activity or else the teacher would have been in class.

I don’t think this is going to get the level of outrage responses that TS hoped.

I think people with basic reasoning skills will understand that these staged events aren't student led protests and they aren't "walkouts".

I'm sure that was also a motivating factor. One can't discount peer pressure either as a motivating factor for participation, or the desire to feel like one is taking part in "something" bigger than themselves regardless of the actual issue.
The way I see it is a critical mass of students who really care decide to walk out in numbers that make it hard to reprimand them all. Then even more students take advantage to skip class and leave school.

I say this because I remember being a part of a walk out at my high school and that's basically how it went down.

I understand that, but evidently this isn't a "walkout"; it's a school sponsored activity or else the teacher would have been in class.
So the school faculty is taking an official social/political stance in the argument and doing so in a manner other than on their own time.

Well, guess there goes any supposed impartiality one might expect from the education system. That's not education, that's indoctrination.

It's the title from Yahoo.

Not surprising. They are guilty of tons of click bait material. Not as bad as business insider but they are up there.

The way I see it is a critical mass of students who really care decide to walk out in numbers that make it hard to reprimand them all. Then even more students take advantage to skip class and leave school.

I say this because I remember being a part of a walk out at my high school and that's basically how it went down.
It's not difficult to reprimand them, only politically and socially awkward to do so and completely undesirable if the cause is actually supported and desired by the faculty.

Last edited:
It's not difficult to reprimand them, only politically and social awkward to do so and completely undesirable if the cause is actually supported and desired by the faculty.
Suspending that many students would be a bit of a headache don;t you think?

Suspending that many students would be a bit of a headache don;t you think?
Suspension isn't the sole option available to the school to address the issue. If sufficient numbers of students participated it could simply suspend a desired athletic competition or other school function for starters.

My most basic consideration on this is if forcing capitulation on a schools faculty simply involves the number of participating students than the faculty ultimately has no control over the student body nor any real power to enforce its authority collectively. You are tacitly agreeing that the student body is the ultimate decider of policy based solely on numbers.

Suspension isn't the sole option available to the school to address the issue. If sufficient numbers of students participated it could simply suspend a desired athletic competition or other school function for starters.

My most basic consideration on this is if forcing capitulation on a schools faculty simply involves the number of participating students than the faculty ultimately has no control over the student body nor any real power to enforce its authority collectively. You are tacitly agreeing that the student body is the ultimate decider of policy based solely on numbers.
They're not the ultimate deciders of policy but students do have strength in numbers, that much is clear.

He has the right to protest ina manner deemed ok by the school admin

Back