Yahoo title - Ohio Student suspended for not taking part in Walkout

PainIsLIfe

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
An Ohio high school student said he tried to stay apolitical during the National Walkout Day over gun violence but was suspended for his choice to remain in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, going to study hall.

1521226392783.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/aff16037-7006-3309-80ed-7e35d6d5b687/ss_ohio-student-suspended-for.html

I don't even know how you suspend a kid for being in his classroom. I get the fact that he didn't follow instructions, but his parents tax money goes to the school to teach - not protest.

Is this even more evidence that the walk-out is school sponsored?

An Ohio high school student said he tried to stay apolitical during the National Walkout Day over gun violence but was suspended for his choice to remain in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, going to study hall.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/aff16037-7006-3309-80ed-7e35d6d5b687/ss_ohio-student-suspended-for.html

I don't even know how you suspend a kid for being in his classroom. I get the fact that he didn't follow instructions, but his parents tax money goes to the school to teach - not protest.

Is this even more evidence that the walk-out is school sponsored?
He was suspended for disobeying a directive from the school admin to go to study hall. He would not have been taught if he remained alone in the classroom without supervision.

Students are never supposed to be in classrooms without supervision.

This isn’t complicated

Looks like he wasn't required to go to the protest. Issue, per the linked article, was that the alternative to going to the protest was study hall, and he didn't do that either.

So basically he two options A.join the walkout or B. study hall for those choosing not to participate in the walkout. He made up his own rules and got suspended. What that old saying. "Play stupid games win stupid prizes"

So,during the regularly scheduled class time the teachers were not available to teach. What were they supposed to be doing at that time?

Sounds like he learned a valuable lesson. He can protest, but only in a manner approved of by the school.

He was suspended for disobeying a directive from the school admin to go to study hall. He would not have been taught if he remained alone in the classroom without supervision.

Students are never supposed to be in classrooms without supervision.

This isn’t complicated
Looks like he wasn't required to go to the protest. Issue, per the linked article, was that the alternative to going to the protest was study hall, and he didn't do that either.
Basically this. That said, I'd be one of those kids who'd try to avoid both and just lounge around the empty halls and classrooms.

Read the last sentence of the article, doofus.

The district says it's responsible for students' safety and they can't be unsupervised.

So,during the regularly scheduled class time the teachers were not available to teach. What were they supposed to be doing at that time?
Would it be classified as a school outing? Wonder if parents had to sign consent forms to allow their children to participate like many do for school outing?

I read an article that detailed a student that participated in the walk out but as a counter-protester which included him carrying a pro-gun sign. Fellow students complained and his sign was taken and he was removed from the protest by school officials.

Sounds like he staged his own little snowflake protest in refusing school instructions. Have fun with your suspension.

I don’t think this is going to get the level of outrage responses that TS hoped.

Such an organic "protest." Fuck these commie teachers.

I wonder if the school would be supportive of, and participate in, a protest against Abortion? Or a Pro-Gun protest? Or...

Sounds like he staged his own little snowflake protest in refusing school instructions. Have fun with your suspension.
He staged a real protest. Real protests involve risk. "Walking out" when the school sanctions it is just suckassery.

Back