Oh boy. Georgia Democrat candidate for Governor pictured burning the Georgia state flag in 1992

Yes, that's kind of the underlying point, in a republic if running for office and power is the goal, being a radical is probably going to win you points with radicals, and voted down in an election.

Leaders are supposed to be moderate and support all views in a republic, radicals, well they tend to see things a certain way. Patriots rarely make great princes, right or left.
She burned the flag over a quarter of a century ago man, you really think she's the same person she was then?

How about this:

Burn what is private and belongs to those who burn it, respect that is public and exists as part of history and shared culture.

Then when the time comes, remove it from the public spaces, and into the historical places.

As well, when the objects are moved into history and out of hearts and minds, relate that they are controversial symbols. That 1. they absolutely represented slavery (and thereby a bad cause) that 2. history is more complicated than white/black hats, or even Tarantino films, that it is a tragic part of history as well with a lot of people (probably the majority) who died fighting a war for culture and pride, that their leaders stocked to protect barbaric slave economics.
Confederate monument should never have been erected in the first place besides most were erected decades after the Civil War as a way to re-enforce white supremacy. As for remembering history read a damn book.

The flags of traitors should be burned. They don't belong on state property.

Design a new flag it's not that hard Georgia.

Death to the Stars & Bars, Long live the South. We voted against it and it's gone.

Deal with it.

CNN has already called Hazzard County, GA for Abrams Republican opponent.

cast.jpg

You tried to equate burning the Georgia flag with Maoist destruction of culture. So what is the difference between someone burning the Battle Flag or State flags which incorporate it to US soldiers destroying Saddam statue? All confederate monuments and flags on public lands should be relegated to museums, not be out in open glorifying the Confederacy.(1)

Vandalizing Confederate statues is no different than American soldiers destroying Saddam's statue. How is it that the rightwing and critics never express their disapproval of US Marines pulling down Saddam's statue? Nothing wrong per see with disparaging history, just depends on what aspects of history is being disparaged. In this case, it is the Confederacy, so it is well deserved. If people can glorify the Confederacy then it is well and good to disparage it also. Would you have a problem with anyone disparaging the 3rd Reich or putting up statues of famous Nazis or Japanese leaders from WW2? (2)

1. We're both computing different logic.

That's not the argument I am making, I am saying that taking the destruction of symbols too far and becomes Maosim in response to Rational Poster: "The flags of traitors should be burned. They don't belong on state property." That sounds like an invitation to burn what is state property, history ECT. of which a lot of social justice warriors are eager to do.

2. Great, if I feel your house, belongings, or history disrespect mine, I'll find it and destroy it, then put up my hands and declare, "Who can say this is wrong? I felt so strongly about it. History is on my side!"

A. Saddam's statue was pulled down as part of warfare, whether seen as liberators or an invasive colonial army I do not think we want to go there, the produce is a bit of apples and oranges.

B. Creating a Nazi strawman to knock down is a bit much, however, yes if people valued something so repugnant I would not superseded the law in a republic to destroy their public property, legacy, or memory simply because I disagree so strongly.

I'm not going to stab the the ghost of Voltaire in betrayal of freedom of choice for all citizens, simply because I see their choices as ghastly.

No violence or mobs against abortion clinic owners, NRA advocates, Nazis, Communists or anyone else, that includes not beating or pepper spraying their protestors, as well.

No political violence in a republic, let alone calculated and aggressive political violence, full stop.

The republic should stand for something more than how you, or I, or anyone else feels about an ideology, once you remove those boundaries, it is a license to destroy and degrade whatever the mob suddenly despises.

You tried to equate burning the Georgia flag with Maoist destruction of culture. So what is the difference between someone burning the Battle Flag or State flags which incorporate it to US soldiers destroying Saddam statue? All confederate monuments and flags on public lands should be relegated to museums, not be out in open glorifying the Confederacy.

Vandalizing Confederate statues is no different than American soldiers destroying Saddam's statue. How is it that the rightwing and critics never express their disapproval of US Marines pulling down Saddam's statue? Nothing wrong per see with disparaging history, just depends on what aspects of history is being disparaged. In this case, it is the Confederacy, so it is well deserved. If people can glorify the Confederacy then it is well and good to disparage it also. Would you have a problem with anyone disparaging the 3rd Reich or putting up statues of famous Nazis or Japanese leaders from WW2?

I don’t know if comparing saddam to some confederates was computing for me. They should just put all the confederate statues they want on private land....after all the statue of lenin in Portland is on private land....as long as that stands I can’t really get worked up over confederate stuff

Confederate monument should never have been erected in the first place besides most were erected decades after the Civil War as a way to re-enforce white supremacy. As for remembering history read a damn book.

Never should have, and using political violence to do social justice, are kind of a classic two wrongs scenario.

She burned the flag over a quarter of a century ago man, you really think she's the same person she was then?

Not at all, no more than an alleged President Bush drinking heavily, Obama smoking some hash, and in this strange day and age Trump grabbing those Ps.

That said, I don't think burning the symbol of the state will be forgiven.

Do I think she should be forgiven? Absolutely.

She was protesting from her true heart against what she has every right to feel is a racist and ugly symbol.

Will the voters be so forgiving in a state that is usually fairly red? I'm guessing probably not.

I don’t know if comparing saddam to some confederates was computing for me. They should just put all the confederate statues they want on private land....after all the statue of lenin in Portland is on private land....as long as that stands I can’t really get worked up over confederate stuff

It's also a tad ironic that banning the Baathist from all governance helped create the sectarian split in Iraq, and further broke the "Iron Rule of the Aristocracy," and one does not break the Iron Rule!

(But a different issue, I just wanted to have a laugh at that.)

after all the statue of lenin in Portland is on private land....as long as that stands I can’t really get worked up over confederate stuff
But they're not the same and you know that and yet then go on to equvocate the two. But I get it, you're Cuban so you're shtick is defined by constantly crying about "c-communism!"

A lot of those monuments were put up to honor the young men that fought for their home state. Put up by sons/daughters and grandchildren of these soldiers. The University of North Carolina had one on campus that just got destroyed. It was to honor the UNC students who put down their books to fight for North Carolina and the Confederacy. It wasn't all about white supremacy. They fought for their state. Plus there were tons of racists in the North as well.

Bringing down a statue isn't violence.

It's intent is to damage. How is it not violence?

That gravity did the majority of the destruction? (I'm not making fun of you, just the idea seems too hilarious not to mention. "No officer, it was not I that broke the nightclub table, twas the hammer!")

A lot of those monuments were put up to honor the young men that fought for their home state. Put up by sons/daughters and grandchildren of these soldiers. The University of North Carolina had one on campus that just got destroyed. It was to honor the UNC students who put down their books to fight for North Carolina and the Confederacy. It wasn't all about white supremacy. They fought for their state. Plus there were tons of racists in the North as well.
The vast majority of Confederate monuments were put up by The Daughters of the Confederacy long after the Civil War.

No, most of those statues were put up when civil rights demonstrations increased. In other words, they were a message to the black community to not get too uppity.

Because a statue isn't alive.

Violence also exists against things.

"behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

The linguistics make that fairly clear. However, is there another argument apart from the linguistics where destroying property of the opposition/politics is not violence, or would another term be preferred?

But they're not the same and you know that and yet then go on to equvocate the two. But I get it, you're Cuban so you're shtick is defined by constantly crying about "c-communism!"

Forgive me if I feel lenin has had a much larger impact on death and despair throughout history than some guy who thought Richmond should be the new capital for 4 years and was defeated

And yes that statue in the United States of America rustles me. You’re from the favelas so you wouldn’t understand

Back