Oh boy. Georgia Democrat candidate for Governor pictured burning the Georgia state flag in 1992

Ripskater

Johnny Mac's friend
Banned
Reaction score
This ought to spice up the Georgia Governors race.

As a college student in 1992, Stacey Abrams, now the Democrat candidate for governor of Georgia, burned the state flag on the Capitol steps. It had the Confederate Battle flag on it at the time.

She's the one on the right.

2d106be5-d03c-489f-b1d6-433a54219d56.png

It was the right thing to do.

She should do it again.

Is that the same woman?

The woman running for governor is StacEy Abrams, and the one pictured in that newspaper is Stacy Abrams.

Did she release this to fire up her base?

It was the right thing to do.

She should do it again.

Perhaps, perhaps, torching symbols, good or bad, may be a worthy endeavor.

However torching the cultural symbol of the place you want to lead is probably not going to be shown as a wise move.

After this she can be the governor of New Jersey or certainly of Berkeley, but I doubt of Georgia.

Elections are funny things so maybe this will prove a positive, however, I doubt that for good, logical reasons.

Is that the same woman?

The woman running for governor is StacEy Abrams, and the one pictured in that newspaper is Stacy Abrams.
I saw that. Good observation.
I guess we will find out.

Oh boy, she’s not going to win due to like 300,000 voters being suppressed anyway.

If anyone thinks burning a flag is a more important issue than voter suppression, they need to rethink what AMERICA is.

If that's her, damn she has really put on some pounds.

Flagburning Stacy = WOOD

Gubernatorial candidate Stacey =
knotinwood.jpg

Oh boy, she’s not going to win due to like 300,000 voters being suppressed anyway.

If anyone thinks burning a flag is a more important issue than voter suppression, they’re a shit American.

They do so long as the votes being suppressed are black people or the other guys generally, and they are.

I saw that. Good observation.
I guess we will find out.
It's her

NYT is reporting on it

Ms. Abrams’s campaign, in a statement Monday, said her actions in 1992 were part of a “permitted, peaceful protest against the Confederate emblem in the flag” and part of a movement that was ultimately successful in changing the flag.

“During Stacey Abrams’ college years, Georgia was at a crossroads, struggling with how to overcome racially divisive issues, including symbols of the Confederacy, the sharpest of which was the inclusion of the Confederate emblem in the Georgia state flag,” the statement read. “This conversation was sweeping across Georgia as numerous organizations, prominent leaders, and students engaged in the ultimately successful effort to change the flag.”

Perhaps, perhaps, torching symbols, good or bad, may be a worthy endeavor.

However torching the cultural symbol of the place you want to lead is probably not going to be shown as a wise move.

After this she can be the governor of New Jersey or certainly of Berkeley, but I doubt of Georgia.

Elections are funny things so maybe this will prove a positive, however, I doubt that for good, logical reasons.

The flags of traitors should be burned. They don't belong on state property.

Design a new flag it's not that hard Georgia.

This ought to spice up the Georgia Governors race.

As a college student in 1992, Stacey Abrams, now the Democrat candidate for governor of Georgia, burned the state flag on the Capitol steps. It had the Confederate Battle flag on it at the time.

She's the one on the right.

2d106be5-d03c-489f-b1d6-433a54219d56.png
And...what's wrong with it?
Unless ofcourse you are not here to argue the rightness or wrongness of burning the flag cause of the battle-flag on it, rather you are just pointing out that this is going to hurt her politically.

The flags of traitors should be burned. They don't belong on state property.

Design a new flag it's not that hard Georgia.

Right or wrong, the audience (Georgia) is not ready for your advice.

It is also part of a complicated history.

I am not in favor of torching anything that is a part of our history, that's too Maoist and vile for me... that said, I'm for changing the flag, putting the old flags in museums or away in quiet places, and changing feelings with persuasion, not destruction.

Sounds like she was on the right side of history - 73% of voters chose the battleflag-free state flag in a referendum, I don't see this turning off too many likely voters.

Back